• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Unusually low fps in RO.

Ati...

Ati...

From what I"m seeing is that the problem lies with mostly ATI cards, wasn't there a strange setting in ATI's graphics card settings that needs to be disabled because it always caused issues with games. I can't recall what that setting is because I've never owned an ATI card.

I think if you do some searching on the net there is something about a certain setting with ATI cards causing issues over the years that can be disabled within the cards drivers... I know this was no help but if you can figure out what that setting was and if I can recall it I'll post back... Sorry nothing has helped as of yet.

In XP you could also try disabling Indexing Service and Turning off System Restore on all drives. This was two things that helped laggy games in the BF series... Can't hurt...

Upvote 0
From what I"m seeing is that the problem lies with mostly ATI cards, wasn't there a strange setting in ATI's graphics card settings that needs to be disabled because it always caused issues with games. I can't recall what that setting is because I've never owned an ATI card.

I think if you do some searching on the net there is something about a certain setting with ATI cards causing issues over the years that can be disabled within the cards drivers... I know this was no help but if you can figure out what that setting was and if I can recall it I'll post back... Sorry nothing has helped as of yet.

In XP you could also try disabling Indexing Service and Turning off System Restore on all drives. This was two things that helped laggy games in the BF series... Can't hurt...

Could it be Catalyst A.I.? Because if so, disabling it doesn't really change anything. I couldn't really think of what else it would be. Also I've never heard of indexing service and system restore, how will it affect my computer when I disable them?

Upvote 0
Services...

Services...

These services have caused some lag in games, I'm not sure about FPS because I've never looked at it, if you aren't seeing any lag graphically then who really cares about FPS. It's just a number and if the game runs smooth who cares.

Restore if turned off just means you can't do a system restore if you wanted to which most don't ever use it anyway so no need to have it enabled. If you are not setting restore points or using it you'll miss nothing, Indexing is just to make searches quicker on the computer - no loss here either.

The only other things I could think of would be changing your driver settings to use Application controlled and turn off AA and AF.

Sound can be the lasting factor and you have to toy with each setting, sometimes turning off HW and HW/EAX or just using 3D Audio, just toy with those if none of the above works and with everything everyone else has mentioned then it's got to be ATI or something. Not sure of that setting either about AI for ATI cards, I think it was something else other than that, wish I could remember sorry - as I said I've only ever owned Nvidia.

Upvote 0
I assume your P4 has its Hyperthreading Enabled? I previously had the P4 3.06 with HT. There was a very noticable difference with HT on compared to off. I also had a Hotfix from Microsoft to make sure the the cpu was properly utilized (now included in XP's SP3).

Also, what is your memory speed?

It is currently enabled, but I am using XP SP2...do you think I should get SP3? And to install SP3 do i need to uninstall the old one? Also will adding SP3 affect games that are recommended to run on SP3? I don't know how to check my memory speed, but I will be upgrading to 2GB DDR2 within a few months.

Upvote 0
Sp3...

Sp3...

You should install SP3 anyway just because of all the fixes applied etc. It is a simple download and NO you do NOT have to uninstall anything. Just get the download run and install, after that it will have you reboot then you'll be good to go and be on SP3. You can get SP3 from Windows Update...

You should also go out and download the latest DirectX install. You can get that here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

After both have been installed and updated and rebooted see if any of that helps...

Upvote 0
It is currently enabled, but I am using XP SP2...do you think I should get SP3? And to install SP3 do i need to uninstall the old one? Also will adding SP3 affect games that are recommended to run on SP3? I don't know how to check my memory speed, but I will be upgrading to 2GB DDR2 within a few months.

As said, just make sure you back up everything just in case, use system restore (which needs to be on) before updating to XP3. Burn your documents, or game saves (whatever) on a cd/dvd just in case. Afterwards, make sure you defrag your disk AND your registry.

A sound card would take the load off of the cpu compared to onboard sound. How much of a difference you may notice, I don't know.

You can check the speed of your memory in the BIOS. That CPU should be able to utilize a 800MHz front side bus (FSB) speed if you have DDR400 (PC3200) memory and HT enabled. If your memory is slower than that, you will not be getting the better FSB speed. With slower memory, you will have a slower FSB and slower computer. 2GB will be better than 1GB of course, but keep in mind that the memory will only go as fast as the slowest stick. I had DDR400 performance memory that also had good timings, every little bit helps. Remember, for RO, it is more CPU intensive and maximizing the efficiency of your cpu (and the related memory) will make a difference.

As mentioned before, I did notice a 5-15 fps improvement with HT enabled compared to it being disabled (sorry Zetsumi). Of course I did have the hotfix (included in XP3) installed to get full multi-core cpu support.

Make sure you have Vsync disabled, you can force that in ATI Catalyst. That should add at least a few fps if for some reason you have it enabled.

As previously mentioned, make sure you have the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard. Everyone always mentions the latest graphics drivers but they forget getting the latest chipset drivers. If you are still using the ones that came with your computer/motherboard, see if they have newer ones.

Good luck!!! :)

Upvote 0
I just wanted to thank you all for continuing to help me, it is greatly appreciated! Anyways I installed SP3 and updated my DirectX without any problems. I haven't seen a performance increase in any of my games, but I guess its still good to keep my computer updated. I also don't have Vsync enabled. Also thanks for explaining how RAM speed works. I already have the RAM picked out for my computer. I used the crucial.com test to make sure it works with my motherboard.
http://crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=334F6638A5CA7304
I may look into getting a sound card later on, but I really don't feel like throwing more money into my computer especially just after buying a PS2.
I wish I had an Nvidea card laying around to test the difference but I don't have any other video cards laying around except the one in my computer. Once again any help or advice is appreciated.

Upvote 0
I just brought it up because the P4 is an older processor (obviously) and my P4 3.06HT was a 478 pin cpu and my motherboard was using the 184 pin memory. Hate to see you pick up the wrong memory :p

Perhaps you have a newer mb and it uses the newer 240 pin memory like you want to purchase in your link above.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
i had the same issue before and i pretty much had teh same PC, only 2 GB of ram instead of one like you have. I bought a computer with intel duo quad core 2.60 , with 3 GB of ram and nvidea 9800 GTX and RO runs great now..... I would recommend more ram but it's not going to help much.

you prob. need a better CPU, or try defragging your harddrive

Upvote 0