• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What is/are your favourite custom map and why

I like most maps, large and small. But my favourite custom map is one which a lot of people seem to hate, namely Grey Ghosts of War.

On the one hand, I enjoy that kind of fast-and-furious close-quarters combat. Epic maps and sophisticated tactics are nice, but every now and then I just want to cut loose.

On the other hand, that map's atmosphere is positively nightmarish--like two armies of damned souls in Hell, locked together in meaningless combat, forever.

The more recent Town of Fallen Heroes has a lot of the same atmosphere, and seems to elicit the same strong negative reactions from some players. But I think it still needs work--there's way too much smoke in the current version.

Upvote 0
Waaaay too many favorite maps to list sensibly, but I'll try:

Stock maps -
  • Ogledow (sentimental favorite: first stock map I played online)
  • Barashka (yeah, go ahead and flame away)
Custom Maps -
  • Makhnovo Village (another sentimental favorite; first custom I ever played, and Nestor was there taking feedback ;))
  • Berezina (or pretty much anything Slyk has made)
  • Orel, BDJ, and Debrecen (tankers trio of doom)
  • Leningrad,Pariserplatz,Kriegstadt (the urban trio of doom)
  • Kolno, Gorlitz, Riga Docks (most beautiful)
  • Dubrava (great atmosphere, but sadly underplayed)
In any case, my hats off to anyone who spends the time to put a decent scenario together and see it through until the end.

Upvote 0
Keystone created very simple, but so beautiful (gameplay and graphics wise) maps - Debrecen and Pripyat. Slashbot's Orel (and especially LdG version) is also a great map.
I really like Slyk's TW, Elnya, Klin and Berezina. Elnya is one of my top-favourites now :)
Dreck's Lazur is a urban masterpiece.
Vidzeme looks and plays good; so does KrasnyjBor.
Nestor's Mahnovo is a great map - I'd play it now, but most of the servers don't have it :( I really had a blast when both teams knew what were they doing - I just can't wait to try out Dofinovka.
Also, guys, remember Kuzernki? That map is on par with Mahnovo - it has terrific gameplay, if teams consist of normal players. I've modified it with Stug3B, but not sure if it's right to upload it somewhere - I had no permission of ViViD to do that.

I've never liked PariserPlatz, so I haven't played it for long time ago, but yesterday I gave it a look on an empty server- man, it has changed a lot! :) So I'm waiting to test it on a full server - there are good chances I'll like it :)
Also, Kreigstadt. Mega-map, can't wait to try out Beta 3! :)

Upvote 0
Combined arms:
1. RO-KRIEGSTADT!!!!!!
2. RO-Pariserplatz
3. RO-Konigsplatz
4. RO-Berenzina 1941
5. RO-Gorlitz- very underplayed map

Tank maps:
1. RO-Orel 88 vs 76 ( and the 88 vs 76 without Clown cars)
2. RO-Debrecen

Infantry only maps:
......... ??

Why simple these are all large teamplay oriented maps not just run gun or frag. Forces people to pair up for example any of you guys remember Karl Stiner's Battle groups on Orel or balck day july-?:) Good gameplay!
Small maps are for lone wolf arcade game guys in my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0