• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Il-2 thread

Does anyone know where I can find guides and stuff for this game? How to set up my joystick rudder, yaw, etc....? Or how to fly a certian aircraft? I personally enjoy using the P-38, but I dont know how to set my stuff up for it. I dont even have the Tracker IR thingy lol. So that doesnt make it any easier for me lol. Please reply!!! Thank you for everything,
Tim

Upvote 0
@Towne, if you're not sure you want to spend 100+ bucks on the original TrackIR I strongly suggest you get familiar with software like Cam2Pan. For the cost of a webcam (which you probably already have) + a few IR LEDs (it's better to use more than one, because of their high directivity) you can experience what it's like not to have to use that darn hat switch ;)

Upvote 0
I picked this up a few weeks ago and am having a blast with it.

But I keep hearing everyone talk about trim and how great it is, but have never really bothered with it myself. What exactly are the advantages to spending the time and trimming up at the begining of every mission?

Also, how do most of you zero out your guns? I keep mine at about 400m but recently it seems that's too far out. I tend to get nice and close.

Other than that, I love it. Having to fly back with your stabilizer blown off, or with half a wing is great. And having the I-16 (or whatever the early Russian fighter is) stall out on me when I tried to dive surprised the hell out of me. Frantically trying to restart my engine while leveling out and gliding at 40 m above treetops...:D

Upvote 0
Trim is all about hands free flying, and optimal speed, if you don't trim, you will quickly find that the plane has a mind of its own, constantly wanting to fly in a shallow climb or dive, if there's a sidewind you will constantly drift to one side, stuff like that.

So flying without trim, you will find yourself making constant corrections to stay on course, or maintain your desired altitude, and that is annoying.. hence trim was invented, so you can fine tune your heading and altitude on the fly without needing to apply constant preasure to stick or rudder pedals.

But it is more than just conveniant, if you are constaly flying around making corrections to heading and altitude, or perhabs flying slightly crooked because of a ***** sidewind, you are dragging your feet, wasting fuel and airspeed.

Naturally, in IL2 trim is not all that usefull durring combat, you probably wont have time for such things, but it is important to use it when cruising to and from the fight, it makes navigation alot easier since you are not drifting all over the place, it lets you keep an eye on the skies instead of on your gauges, and it insures you can cruise fast without using alot of throttle, so you can enter a fight with a cool engine.

Upvote 0
I'm honest, I usually don't trim either. But then I'm not hardcore enough to fly real-time to the objectives anyway, i use auto pilot and time acceleration for most of the non-combat flight (except for takeoff and landing). I do fear though, that my joysticks wearing at a very fast rate due to me not trimming. But then, the wear seems to be mostly on the roll axis and my preferred planes don't have trim for that anyway.

Upvote 0
Well, tried some trim last night, and it works very well, also steadied up my gunnery alot when shooting at a relatively stable target (or maybe it's because I re-zeroed my guns to 200m instead of 400). I'm sold. I've mostly flown the Bf-109F2 in campaign mode, and that apparantly only has elevator trim.
Also, excellent point about joystick wear. There's a practical reason to use it!

I also fly to and from the fight (for the most part) using autopilot and time acceleration. I also play without landings or takeoffs, mostly because I'm just short on time. However, if for whatever reason my plane is severely damaged, almost always I'll nurse it home and attempt a landing. Flying back with a pristine plane is boring. Flying back trying to keep a shot up engine running, or low on fuel, or with a hole in your wing and no landing gear...now that's fun.

Upvote 0