• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Il-2 thread

When do you normally fly coop Hockey? I haven't flown coop in ages so I might take you up on that. And yes like Hockeysaid IL2 1946 is probably the best value for money of any game I've ever bought (only thing that comes close is the original Operation Flashpoint for me). The amount of content is ridiculous and the multiplayer community is STILL going strong even after a decade! (make sure to get HyperLobby if you want to play mutliplayer) If any of you have not you on here don't have this game yet I highly recommend it.

If anyone is interested in an campaign setting with all human pilots check out Ghost Skies. Join the forum if you're interested.

Most of the people involved are in a squadron (as I am), but there's also a freelance unit. Experience is a good idea though if you want to join, because a lot of the people flying have been flying for years, some since the game's original release, and some are really good.

We're flying a Burma campaign right now (Zekes and Oscars vs P40s, Hurricanes and Buffaloes, and assorted bombers), and will be doing a Kiev campaign next. Player numbers for each mission are normally 45-50. Basically the meta game consists of moving ground columns around to capture territory. Recently my side just managed to take an enemy airfield after a very blood air skirmish that ensued as our armor and infantry units were moving towards it. Enemy planes were taking off while being shelled by artillery just down the road ;). After we beat off the enemy planes we strafed out the remaining flak and defending infantry coming in at 30 meters above the deck (they can't get their guns that low).

We're flying HSFX so you'll need that. You'll need TS3 and a mic too obviously. Missions are Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday night 9:30PM EST. (sorry Euros :()

Missions run for 90 minutes, if you get killed or captured that's it for the night. If you bail over friendly territory you're out for 20 minutes, if you ditch in friendly territory you're out for 13. Basically this means that people aren't completely careless with their lives like you see in a dogfight server. It's also full real with the exception that we have the small speed/altitude display in the bottom left (so people don't have to read the confusing Japanese displays). No external views or tags or any of that nonsense though ;). So you need to be able to identify planes and use your map to get around. People don't take too well to getting shot down by friendlies :D.
Very cool! I've heard of those campaign events but my schedule is a bit too inflexible to participate. I do have the latest version of HSFX, though, so maybe I will sometime.

As for when I play COOP, the time and day varies ... just depends on when my friends hop on our TS server and want to fly.

As a side note, I linked that video to a friend of mine on Steam a couple of days ago and his reply was "You should play Cliffs of Dover instead." I said "No Thanks" which prompted him to ask why. I then listed a litany of reasons ranging from the lack of a dynamic campaign, a limited selection of theaters and aircraft, super buggy AI that doesn't follow the laws of physics or have basic intelligence, a badly optimized graphics engine, a lack of community coop content, and the fact that the sim is literally full of bugs to this day. That made him pretty mad, but he never had a rebuttal. I should have then said to him, "You should play IL-2 1946." But I didn't want to be arrogant right back at him. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For anyone of you is interested in flying bombers in formation in Il2 1946.

Highly experienced group of bomber pilots who like to fly formation and focus on teamwork and historical tactics. We have no squadron ranks and hold no mandatory meetings. Leaders exchange per mission and scenario, and are chosen by experience and will to lead. Our experience in organizing large historical MP events with many squadrons participating from all over the World is almost second to none. First timers or a long time online bomber pilots looking to learn the ropes of bomber tactics, group maneuvers and carrier operations - anyone is welcome.

DBS is in large part related to IL2 series, but we have experience with ROF and few of us fly A-10C in DCS World.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh man, if I had realized this thread was here I'd be all over it sooner. I had been doing a few solo campaigns on and off to get reaccustomed (the La-7 and Il-2 still felt great) and about a week ago I tried to force myself back into multiplayer. First thing that hit me is I remembered how nice people that are into this game are. I mean, I have never seen a single negative thing come out of anyone, either in the forums or in-game, not even isolated trolls in all the time I've been involved in this.

It was pretty sweet, the server, Skies of Valor runs slightly relaxed realism, with external views, the speedbar, and a player icon so you don't get lost. The first map I played was in Africa, and the first thing I did was spot a friendly being hounded by an Me-109. Akin to the scene in "A New Hope", I flew right past my mate and demolished the bandit in a head-on pass. "I still got it", I thought. How wrong I was. I proceeded to go roughly 3-20 that night, one of the kills being on a low and slow bomber with a thick trail of smoke behind it.

Upvote 0
Oh man, if I had realized this thread was here I'd be all over it sooner. I had been doing a few solo campaigns on and off to get reaccustomed (the La-7 and Il-2 still felt great) and about a week ago I tried to force myself back into multiplayer. First thing that hit me is I remembered how nice people that are into this game are. I mean, I have never seen a single negative thing come out of anyone, either in the forums or in-game, not even isolated trolls in all the time I've been involved in this.

It was pretty sweet, the server, Skies of Valor runs slightly relaxed realism, with external views, the speedbar, and a player icon so you don't get lost. The first map I played was in Africa, and the first thing I did was spot a friendly being hounded by an Me-109. Akin to the scene in "A New Hope", I flew right past my mate and demolished the bandit in a head-on pass. "I still got it", I thought. How wrong I was. I proceeded to go roughly 3-20 that night, one of the kills being on a low and slow bomber with a thick trail of smoke behind it.
Yeah people I think just love the feeling of flying -- it's a joy that's contagious. Multiplayer can be great if you find a good server. I mostly do coop because I have good friends to play with and we can do quick-to-action type missions.

Upvote 0
I have been playing again for the first time in years - can someone help...

Am i to take it you have to mod-enable your game to add new 3rd party aircraft?

I downloaded something from SAS site to this effect- -then a button replacement and some new aircraft and flight models- the game crashed and i had to re-install.

All i want to add is a couple of aircraft - meteor, typhoon and maybe lanc as it's a bit of a letdown that these common british types are missing.

Other than that i don't want to mess with it at all - do i really need to mod my game, changing the exe and menus and all the other additions (which i found quite confusing tbh) ?

What's the most streamlined way to go about this? (I'm sure 5 years ago i wasnt having this much difficulty)

I have a steam copy if that makes any difference.

Still a great game thou - love it as much as ever.

Upvote 0