• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design How do I .....? The Thread for all questions more than general.

did you use the 2d editor to make anything. I have found that sometimes it creates a loose node on occasion like a node with only one vertice going into it. This has caused be problems before and I could only find it by moving nodes around and then delete it. Other wise start deleting brushes till it goes away. Statics shouldnt be your problem but I am just guessing here.

Upvote 0
Guys, I need a little help. I'm modifying one map for our clan needs only and I want to change one sound, that is playing in background. I already have new one in .wav format.
Here's what I do: press on sounds browser, then on Import sounds, I name the package as MyLevel, group - music. But when I press OK, nothing happens. No new package, no new sound - MyLevel package doesn't appear in the browser for some reason..
What am I doing wrong?

Upvote 0
You should do a search on Google for steps on that. I found stuff on one of the Unreal websites. You have to have the sound in the correct format, then you must create a /sound or /sounds directory on your C: drive level and import from there. What most people miss is the location of the directory /sound(s). Best bet is a search, hope this minimal memory helps...not on my dev machine at the moment.

Upvote 0
have you tried creating a new sound file when you import the sound?
You mean creating a new sound group? I can see only two options there with "create new.." in them: sound group and procedural sound.
Or am I looking in the wrong direction?
Sorry, I'm a dummie when the talk is about SDK. :)

OK, Slyk, thanks, I'll try to search it.

Upvote 0
is there a way to make a fog volume. for map edging or can you put the fog in the skybox? I have an interesting predicament When I set the total occlusion distance of the maps fog it stops drawing and the map just seems to disappear you can only tell this though when you are high up in a building. If I extend the occlusion distance it then this allows to see the opposition coming out of spawn which I dont think will be good for either team.

Upvote 0
I was in a hurry today and didn't explain well. You have to create a folder on C: called /sounds
Inside that file, place the sound you want to import to the editor.
Use the Import function in the editor, save it to /mylevel and then give it a group name and the file name should be there. Hit 'Ok' and you should have your sound.
If it does not import, your sound may be in the wrong format, check other in-game sounds to find out their format and if necessary, convert yours. Maybe this is better help??

Upvote 0
for my slalingrad S&D map i want players to respawn only once per round, so i have set the reinforcements to 0 on both sides, it appears to work, only in the first round i am the only one to spawn in because the bots start joining the map after me.
in the second round everybody spawns in correctly and doesnt respawn.

is this the right way to do this? i tried tweaking the reinforcement interval but it doesnt change anything. i guess server admins will have to increase the time before the round starts to let most of the players join before the round begins, otherwise they have to pass the first round.

Upvote 0
for my slalingrad S&D map i want players to respawn only once per round, so i have set the reinforcements to 0 on both sides, it appears to work, only in the first round i am the only one to spawn in because the bots start joining the map after me.
in the second round everybody spawns in correctly and doesnt respawn.

is this the right way to do this? i tried tweaking the reinforcement interval but it doesnt change anything. i guess server admins will have to increase the time before the round starts to let most of the players join before the round begins, otherwise they have to pass the first round.

tbh, the right way is to create a new gametype derived from ROTeamGame and change the spawn code :X

Upvote 0
WTF are you sure? you mean so you get a real S&D gametype where the engine waits for enough people to have joined to start the round?

otherwise it seems to work by setting the reinforcements to 0, only its not ideal for the fisrt round

to have the game wait for enough players, yes. You could probably make use of the MinNetPlayers feature of the server though. But thats nothing you can influence with the map.

Upvote 0
Slyk, thank you very much! I did everything as you said and managed to add that sound. It didn't play, but that was my other mistake. :) It was in stereo format. If anyone needs, here's the link to the tutorial where everything is decribed (however, Slyk did mention all the things needed)

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Importing_Sounds

I have other question. I've added that music (and it's long), but when player is being killed and he appears on the spawn, the sound begins to play from the beginning.
Is there a possibility to make it play to the end, and then repeat, even if a player was killed?

Upvote 0
I can't seem to find anything about this anywhere.

I've been wondering, how do I, or is it even possible, to add an uneven amount of bots to one team?

A few other people and I have been trying a big humans VS. computer's thing, but the problem is, it never turns out to be very big at all, and, even on the hardest difficulty setting, the bots can't move up on even one of our positions. For some reason they hop out of the tank right when they're starting to pin us down. I've never understood why.

Anyhow, I would suppose this heated battle we've been yearning for could be better achieved by simply adding numbers of these guys, however the bots autobalance to each team, and, well, they're not very good and kind of get in the way so they're more of a nuisance to us than anything.

So I ask, is there any way to split up the teams, maybe a server command to disable the auto-balance?

By the way if any of you guys have a list of server commands out there, that'd be pretty nifty too. A kick command would be real handy at some points.

Well I hope there's an answer out there, thanks.

Upvote 0
Okay so sometimes I take a collection of objects BSP or Statics or both. In this case it is all BSP brushes. Whenever you take say a house and make it into a static it ends up being lighter then other BSP I know it is because of shaders and all of that. But does the process of the conversion also capture the light currently being shown on the BSP? Like for instance if I made a house in a workshop map and removed all lighting and did a full build before making it a static. Will the static that is created be really dark which then I could light up through its properties. Just wondering if anyone knows Else I will have to do my own tests. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Okay so sometimes I take a collection of objects BSP or Statics or both. In this case it is all BSP brushes. Whenever you take say a house and make it into a static it ends up being lighter then other BSP I know it is because of shaders and all of that. But does the process of the conversion also capture the light currently being shown on the BSP? Like for instance if I made a house in a workshop map and removed all lighting and did a full build before making it a static. Will the static that is created be really dark which then I could light up through its properties. Just wondering if anyone knows Else I will have to do my own tests. Thanks.

first off: did you rebuild lighting after you did it?

if (true) {

Looks like youre running into the fundemental lighting difference between static meshs and BSP.

BSP Surfaces light very percisely (depending on your light map setting. yadda yadda)..

Static Meshes are lit per-vertex.

Angel Mapper has a great write-up of it here:
http://www.angelmapper.com/gamedev/tutorials/uedmeshes.htm

Anywho..
With Unreal-Ed created static meshes, you also get zero control over the vertex normals

My rule of rule of thumb is do not create statics within UnrealEd if it has more then say.. 10 or 12 size (a cube of course having 6), and even then don't expect it to light correctly.

What I would do is export the House to .obj, then open it up in Maya/Max/Blender/Whatever, re-'draw' it with your BSP guide, then re-import.

A few relevent links:
- http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/ConvertingBspBrushesIsSuboptimal.html
- http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Vertex_Lighting
- http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/LightingOnSurfaces.html

}

Upvote 0