• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Stalingrad Map Brainstorm

Question: It seems that most RO city maps do not have arty, why?

Most urban maps are too small and focus on close quarters combat. Artillery would block the entire street on Zhitomir, Leningrad, Odessa, and even on maps like Stalingrad Kessel. Combine that with lots of friendlies and enemies mixed in a small area and you have the makings of a very painful map to play. Artillery works best on large maps like Arad where it doesn't harm friendlies as much and doesn't block off large sections of the map from play.

Upvote 0
Plus urban=indoor fighting, and in RO artillery can't effect you indoors.

Since infantry anti-tank tactics is a big interest of mine I do think a Stalingrad map with tanks would be a nice idea, would give PT soldats and well placed AT guns a chance to ambush German tanks :D if only we AT grenades in RO as well!

I know Tractorworks has tanks and hidden AT guns but it's not really enclosed enough for PT soldats and such to set up ambushes for the tanks.

Upvote 0
Yeah, and the very top floors of buildings are also effective because tanks won't be able to aim that high.

Well in real life this was true i guess 'cos for eg. the Piv-F main gun elevation was only 20 deg i believe.

However in the game the same tank can put a shell into the ceiling of a 4th (gnd, 1st, 2nd, 3rd) floor room when it seems to be about 15m from the building's face.
The elevation seems to be a shade over 45 deg, and you can aim even higher by adjusting the range trim.

Funny you mention that now cos protection from closeby armour when in upper floors of buildings is precisely what i have just been looking at, and it seems there is no protection if you are in the in a windowed room.
I'm surprised I'd never realised before that the tanks (or at least the f1 i looked at) could acheive that elevation.

Upvote 0
However, RO won't let you shoot a PTRD down onto a tank. Well, you can try, but it won't work.

I think that one (non-historical) way to get around the Russian reinforcement issue is to have a metal emergency stairwell on the backside of the House that the Russians could run up to reinforce any floor in relative cover. You could even have some planks at each floor that would let the soldiers enter multiple windows/holes at each level, just to give them more options on what room they can enter.

Upvote 0
However in the game the same tank can put a shell into the ceiling of a 4th (gnd, 1st, 2nd, 3rd) floor room when it seems to be about 15m from the building's face.
The elevation seems to be a shade over 45 deg, and you can aim even higher by adjusting the range trim.
Oh I didn't realise that tank elevation was higher in RO... :( But still, I can get shots on tanks in the middle of the street on Leningrad from the top floor of the AT-Position.

As mentioned before, assuming it was a fairly narrow street a cellar would be good place to hide with a PTRD, because a tank wouldn't exactly know if someone was hiding in there until it was being ambushed from cellars on all sides of the street by AT-riflemen... and damn would I like to see AT grenades in RO.

Upvote 0
well, you can use them in RO custom maps, but dont count of them doing too much damage unless the stock RO tanks are created on the CC tank model as well
Correct me if Im wrong but I thought CC did not make use of Armored Beasts mutator Which to me would insinuate to me that A. It uses the stock Ro tanking system or B there is another tanking system used for CC altogether sperate from Ro or AB?:confused:

Upvote 0
Correct me if Im wrong but I thought CC did not make use of Armored Beasts mutator Which to me would insinuate to me that A. It uses the stock Ro tanking system or B there is another tanking system used for CC altogether sperate from Ro or AB?:confused:

imo AB wouldnt change too much for battles with early war tanks. So yeah, we have our own changes to the tank model.

Upvote 0