• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Custom Maps Not In These Forums

=GG= Mr Moe

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2006
Newton, NJ
Every so often I come across new custom maps that I don't see anywhere mentioned here. Some of them are good and with work have great potential but I don't know where to leave comments. Does anyone here browse any Non-English RO Forums where some of these maps are being discussed?

One map I saw yesterday was called RO-Code_Enigma1944 that reminds me a (little) bit of Kriegstadt, and I know there are other maps that have potential that I haven't seen mentioned here.

If possible, I would just like to leave some comments and constructive criticism for these maps. The better quality the maps are and the more of them, then the longer the game stays fresh and enjoyable to play. :)

Hey Moe,

On this Site you can download all good Custommaps, which you can find on any Server
http://redorchestra.panzerdivision-frundsberg.de/

Its a german RO community

The Map you mentioned is from LKGO i think

There are three german servers where you can find many custommaps, but not all of them are good

//LKGO~Lausitzer~Kampfgruppe~Ost

LUFTWAFFE

Schlangengrube

And on the [PzDF] Servers you can find many [PzDF] Maps, like Arad Winter, Debrecen Winter, Lyeskrovy Winter, Ogledow Winter (YES, many Winter Maps^^) but also on their Arad Server some modified Arad Maps by PzDF

Upvote 0
well i tried it, i think it was at beta7???
i found some verry nice original ideas i could use, but it seems the map was made in a few weeks following the release of kriegstad. basic things like alligning the textures, so the windows dont get clipped in corners, or the walls seem like 2 units thick.
there seems to be no storyline, enemies come from all directions and you can go all directions.
i could not see the whole map, as for 20 minutes we struggled to get the first cap, and when we captured an objective we spawned right in the middle of the enemy position and got slaughtered untill the enemy recapped and we spawned back at the start.

it needs alot of work to approach kriegstadt, especially visually. but its a nice start.

Upvote 0
Oh, my comment wasn't meant to say he stole your wonderful design Hobo, it is just that when you initially join the map, you get the feeling of large open streets in an epic urban battle (Kriegstadt...).

The map needs lots of work, corridors to nowhere, smooth out piles of rubble, etc, etc, but the map has great potential and it would be nice if players had a place in these or some other forums to offer constructive criticism. Perhaps there is something in a non-english RO forums somewhere?

This applies to any map that may be talked about elsewhere and not here. I see several that have great potential and with a little guidance from players' comments and/or other established mappers out there, we will have plenty of new maps to enjoy.

----------------------------------------

PS: Yes, I am bummed that DRECKS has finished with his RO mapping. :( I always thought it was hard to comment on your maps anyway as they were always so well thought out to begin with, great fps etc, it was hard to nitpick except maybe for balance.

Upvote 0
What's the discussion about originality and Kriegstad ?

With large urban/city maps, situated during WW2 you soon get a design like that.
Knock Knock Leningrad.... Knock Knock Odessa.
So about Kriegstads originality we can have a nice discussion.

Same goes for a storyline. In some battles the enemy approach from one side.
The next battle they are coming from everywhere.

To get back on mapfeedback my experience is people will tell/shout in game
what's wrong, but hardly join any structural map discussion to improve gameplay.

Upvote 0
Yeah what happened to RO-Gorolitz it was a great map!!!!It used to be that there was always a full server running it I think there was a 24/7 server as well then...poof nothing. It was gone faster than the pokemon fad.I can never find it and if I do come across it its empty..:mad:

Upvote 0
There is another Tank map that I havent seen posted here, It's Orel sized, a long road w/ a column of trees on both sides, poor fps, full choice of tanks for both sides...

I remember running into a tree & it actualy fell over!

This Enigma map is actualy fun, I had a wild time team tanking & it's VERY tricky to drive in it. My suggestion for it is the massive tunnel/corridors & wierd dead ends. But the ability to recap is kinda cool, I like the chaos. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the map vote behaviour of players is completely unpredictable, sometimes maps just disappear from the servers for months, and then come back. i thought my map pariserplatz was dead, and now for no reason i see it being played all the time.
i think sometimes players get tired of a map, and stop voting for it. and when they want to play it again after some time, new players discover the map and it becomes popular again for a while.

Upvote 0
I think its fair to say that kriegstadt killed gorlitz. Why there can be only one, I don't know, but it appears that it must be this way :confused:

I think enthusiasm for Gorlitz will return if FPH makes a new version. Right now it has many problems mostly with bad optimization. Kolno also needs to be finalized more then anything so it can be added to ROL. Where is flashpanhunter and why is he always teasing us with his mighty yet slightly flawed creations!?

Upvote 0
Another fine example of a map which is amazing at least in it looks but I have never seen it on any server. And who plays sniper maps anyway ...
Mapname: RO-sniper-haven-country_B3 (yeah lots of typos)

Shot00211.jpg

Upvote 0