• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Troopers: Dawn of Destiny

Downloading now. If there are no people online, are the bots fun to play against? Maybe in Co-Op against botties on a Lan?

EDIT: I managed to install it now. The old problem with the umods again. I don't know, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes the solution works, sometimes it doesn't. Anyway, its installed now.

But I wasn't able to connect to a server yet! There is only 1 server with "players" on it, but they aren't displayed in the players list, so I assume they are bots. Anyway, when I tried to connect to it, nothing happened.
Do others have the same problem?

EDIT: After playing a bit of practice I have come to the conclusion that the weapons feel awesome! The iron sights, the heavy animations, the sounds. Great. I could live with slightly higher damage values, but its great that the blaster shots fly so fast. Most Star Wars games got that wrong up to now in my opinion.
Too bad there is no one online.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great mod, its like UT-Assault meets RO meets Starwars :eek:

But aye, it would definately be nice if the weapons delt more damage, they seem rather weak as it stands, and unfortunately, there doesen't seem to be any option to add mutators to your game, whats up with that?

Great work on thouse vehicals though, especially the fighters, thats the most fun i've had flying on the UT engine!

Upvote 0
Great mod, its like UT-Assault meets RO meets Starwars :eek:

But aye, it would definately be nice if the weapons delt more damage, they seem rather weak as it stands, and unfortunately, there doesen't seem to be any option to add mutators to your game, whats up with that?

I take the opportunity to quote one of the Team.

"At range, ppl generally go down in three, maybe four shots. Less if you've got friendly gunners nearby due to the Squad Aura effect.- Ive even seen snipers go down in one well placed shot. Also, at close range, one hit from any weapon, even pistols will kill instantly.
If the weapons were any stronger, we feel the game would be too punishing, and also you would lose out on the visual aspect of seeing bolts sizzling past left right and center during a firefight. In this aspect, Troopers is a little more arcadey than RO, intentionally so.
For weak weapons, try Republic Commando to compare- there it takes half a clip to down a basic battle droid
icon_wink.gif

As for mutators, what would you have? We honed the Objective game play to be exactly what we had envisioned and it plays as we wanted it to be".

As far as I can tell, thats about right.

Did you try one of the space battles ?

Upvote 0
I doubt that it is easy, if I remember Defence Alliance was delayed (few weeks) and it was "only" a port. Also the dev team of Troopers want their project be finished and after 4 years they deserve that. Their talent is needed elsewhere.

They are trying to fill up a server, I will tell you more when a date is announced. Btw Tripwire has started an own Troopers server ;)

Upvote 0
I take the opportunity to quote one of the Team.

"At range, ppl generally go down in three, maybe four shots. Less if you've got friendly gunners nearby due to the Squad Aura effect.- Ive even seen snipers go down in one well placed shot. Also, at close range, one hit from any weapon, even pistols will kill instantly.
If the weapons were any stronger, we feel the game would be too punishing, and also you would lose out on the visual aspect of seeing bolts sizzling past left right and center during a firefight. In this aspect, Troopers is a little more arcadey than RO, intentionally so.
For weak weapons, try Republic Commando to compare- there it takes half a clip to down a basic battle droid
icon_wink.gif

As for mutators, what would you have? We honed the Objective game play to be exactly what we had envisioned and it plays as we wanted it to be".

As far as I can tell, thats about right.

Hmm, that squad aura thing doesen't work very well offline unfortunately, since the bots have ants in their pants, they wont stand still long enough for you to draw any use from it, it will probably work better online if you play with some less twitchy people.

Still, i feel its a bad idea to remove mutators, then thouse of us who want more punishing gameplay could just have used a damage scaler mut, there's nothing wrong with a little choice..

Did you try one of the space battles ?

Ohh yes, both of them, and they rock! i hope people will make more maps like thease down the road.

Upvote 0
Hi all, and thanks for the postive feedback!
(waves at the testers we 'borrowed' from here too- great job guys)
I agree in singleplayer bots can get somewhat spread out, however there is a way of preventing this- use the 'v' menu to order the bots to cover you once you respawn, wait a little for everyone to gather up, then you can advance as a unit and give an attack order once you get close.

As an aside, offline the maps are balanced to be played with 'use map defaults' bot number settings, and ai level of 'adept' at minimum (I personally enjoy masterful). Anything less and I can't vouch for any idiocy they display ;)

As far as punishing gameplay goes, all I can say is hit the right server at the right time before judging ;)

If anyone should be interested in mapping for troopers, Swag (my partner in mapping crime) went to great effort to write a fairly comprehensive guide, which will be available via your program group of shortcuts. Also we will be more than happy to answer any questions :)

Upvote 0