• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design How do I .....? The Thread for all questions more than general.

How do I make new textures with "alpha maps"?

eg so they don't look like this

test.jpg

Upvote 0
You need to save the file,from PhotoShop, as a .dds (Direct Draw Surface) with some form of alpha channel. For bushes like this you'll probably want to use the setting "DXT1 with alpha". Once you save it as a .dds and import it into ROEd locate the texture in the Texture Browser. Right click on the texture > Properties > Surface > change 'Masked' and (in your case) 'TwoSided' to True.

http://www.axialis.com/tutorials/tutorial-misc001.html

Here's a pretty good tutorial on alpha channels but just remember that ROEd needs textures to be in .dds format.

Upvote 0
Can you guys explain a little bit about mipmaps? I always uncheck "Create mipmaps" when importing a texture into the the editor. Is that bad?

MIP Maps should almost always be left on. They help the performance of the level and stop textures from 'shimmering' (this effect occurs because the pixels are all fighting for real estate space on your monitor. Objects viewed from the human eye get blurred more and more as the object disappears from view, which is exactly what MIP Maps do as well. Here's a few detailed explanations of how they work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mipmap
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1233.asp
(^ This one shows the 'shimmering effect' in this first two pictures)

So always leave them on, unless you come across a rare case where the texture is disappearing completely. This will happen chain link fences, barbed wire, or other thin textures with large alpha areas.

If you need clarification or anything let me know. :)

Upvote 0
Edit: I'm stupid. Another question. Why lights don't have any effect if they're in the skyzone? In the editor it works, but ingame the skydome is just unlit/light actors won't have any effect.

There's two coloured lights in the Leningrad skybox that work just fine. Maybe take a look at that? Are you sure you didn't accidentally set the skydome static mesh to bUnlit or something? It *should* work. :confused:

Upvote 0
I need to move my whole terrain layer up or make my subtract brush deeper cause i can't make proper rivers or valleys - there's no room for them.
What i tried is to move everything except my world subtract brush a little bit up in front view port, but after rebuild i get "imbedded in level geometry" errors for various actors.
Also i tried to make my subtract brush deeper, but after rebuild the terrain layer disappears.
So are there any other ways?
Thanks.

Upvote 0
I need to move my whole terrain layer up or make my subtract brush deeper cause i can't make proper rivers or valleys - there's no room for them.
What i tried is to move everything except my world subtract brush a little bit up in front view port, but after rebuild i get "imbedded in level geometry" errors for various actors.
Also i tried to make my subtract brush deeper, but after rebuild the terrain layer disappears.
So are there any other ways?
Thanks.

Just heading to bed now, but if you post the map up or PM me a link I could take a look at it tomorrow and see what's going on. The best way would be to vertex edit the bottom of the cube and drag those 4 verticies down, not sure why that makes your terrain disappear.

Upvote 0
So always leave them on, unless you come across a rare case where the texture is disappearing completely. This will happen chain link fences, barbed wire, or other thin textures with large alpha areas.

To Add to this.. if you have a transparent texture (a masked or alpha layered texture), you are almost always better off making your own MipMaps. Do do that you need something like the Nvidia DDS tools ( http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nv_texture_tools.html ) to stitch your mips together.

in short, you would draw out each of the mip levels, stitch them together, then import them into the editor, making sure you do NOT have 'create mips' on.

The Editor doesn't do that good a job of compressing the mips when you have thin transparent stuff (like Gupp said, barbed wire, chain link.. etc..)

If this is over your head right now Shurek, don't worry about it.. it's here for posterity now. :]

Upvote 0
How do I delete textures from mylevel? I thought remove from level, rebuild, delete would get rid of anything but for some textures it will still not allow me to delete them. Is there anyway to pinpoint them in the level itself?

If you are removing textures from "MyLevel", then do just that, remove the texture from the map, rebuild.. then close and re-open the editor and they should be gone.

If it's a texture used on BSP, you can just do something like select one BSP Surface with that texture, then right-click and select all surfaces with the texture, then change it.

Upvote 0
When making Static meshes from BSP how should I make sides invisible? I've tried making the surfaces invisible but it does not work. I'm guessing I should use an alpha texture but where do I find that?

Also if I'm making a mesh lets say of a pile of rubble but I want it to be easy for players to navigate, should I make a brush of the collision (before I convert to s.mesh) I want and make it invisible or would it be better to have a blocking volume?

Is there any disadvantage for making meshes out of bsp rather then a real 3d modeling program?

Thanks in advance,

Smokey

Upvote 0