• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

CoD4 Demo

Can't we ever talk about any games without criticising it for it's realism?

Of course we can, just as soon as their 'military advisor' stops tagging along for every single one of their videos spamming the same old story with about how "Ur like a real soldier olol!", etc. :rolleyes:

I will try the demo, but I will never buy the game. For me, the CoD franchise died when they stopped supporting mods back in CoD1. If they want to ship a new game/expansion/whatever every year and give no community support then that's their choice, but I won't put up with it.

Upvote 0
Ok, so who has some game footage? Let me see some demo bits. i mean, if it has better graphics, aint that a plus? Surely some aspects of gameplay has changed. I dont know if theres squad commands, but I hope that there might be in the full game...? Any one?

Ok, so we've heard about the graphics and bits of gameplay-hows sound?,dialogue even the mission play itself? Is it Bf2, but more infantry? or what? Come on people-give us some good and bad details for some of us which have graphic cards under the miniumn ;)

Upvote 0
Well, if you know CoD2 you know CoD4. Sounds cynical if you haven't played CoD4 and you have high hopes, but that's basically it.
The gameplay is almost identical. There are different weapons obviously, but other than that, not much has changed. You can sprint now, but you can't shoot while doing so and you aren't really that much faster, so its only of limited use.
The no-recoil comments were directed towards that starting weapon I guess, because it has almost no recoil in iron sights. The other weapons are comparable to those in CoD2 in terms of recoil.
I minus for CoD4 might be, that the weapons are all automatic ones as far as I can tell, so the aspect of choosing a semi-auto or even a bolt action one seems to be gone (there is a sniper but its semi-automatic). This might make CoD2's multiplayer more valuable than CoD4's because its an interesting aspect in my opinion. I haven't played CoD4's multiplayer yet though, as the demo is only singleplayer, so I don't know if there are new gamemodes or something.

Upvote 0
I tried it tonight with a core2duo6600 oc@ 3ghz , XFX 8800 GTX and 4 gigs of ram .

This game SUCKS . First it's a corridor ( one more ... ) , secondly , it's OVER-scripted which ruins the experience , thirdly , the AI is plain crappy , no progress since 2003 .... And finally , for all those of us who likes realism ... well too bad ... it's another COD

Try the demo before buying it , like said Murderous_eagle and Murphy , it's COD2 but with better graphics (graphically , it's beautiful indeed ) . I 'm disappointed cause i thought it would set a new standard (a new compromise between realism and gameplay ,a new generation of AI as well as more freedom for the player )

I know COD is not made for realistic gameplay , but i think that arcade games like Far Cry 2 (which will be a complete world to explore , and not a corridor like HL2 , Biosh.. or MOH ) Stalker or games like Crysis , that aren't made to be realistic , will be a better experience . (better AI , less scripting , less linearity and more freedom )

For instance i also tried the Unreal Tourn. 3 demo , and i felt the AI is really good , COD4's AI is really ridiculous next to it , seems obvious that they didn't even work on it since COD2

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually the unreal AI is some of the best I've seen in a game. I was in a dogfight raptor to raptor and the bot ducked the missile that was supposed to finish him by using part of a bridge for cover. In my pursuit I followed it, only to find the bot had strafed around behind me and shot plasma up my butt and flew to more cover before I could turn around. I did manage to shoot it down but it was an amazing maneuver for a bot to do.

Upvote 0
It's the mission you see in one of those movies for it.
I didnt like it very much. Shoots great, sure, but its over the top bull**** and i dont like that, only in fictional settings.

Anyways, got the first bug as well. Tried changing resolution but then it crashes to the desktop, so im stuck in 1024x768 or so.:D

Actually the game's story is entirely fictional, I think they should've done real battles though.

Upvote 0
to see just how pointlessly scripted this is, you can use the encounter by the overpass.

If you go to a convenient window and snipe every last enemy, you will still see friendlies lining up and calling for cover fire. Later, you can snipe all of the enemy infantry off the overpass and they just spawn indefinitely until one manages to shoot the nameless idiot with the rocket launcher that just stands there. The vehicles don't even spawn until faceless idiot dies.

FAIL.

Upvote 0
Eh, just tried the demo..........yeah it's COD alright. There are some good features like shooting through walls, excellent graphics, great realistic looking characters & movement but most everything else is so inexplicably annoying it's hard for me to describe actually. I put it on hardest difficulty, was it hard? Not really. I even disabled the crosshair and just hipshot bastards left and right RAMBO style and usually came out on top.

Now... why do the guns sound like star wars blasters? Tracers.. is everybody firing them? Sure seems like it. Why does everybody move & feel like they just smoked a giant hit of meth then chased that with 12 lines of coke? .002 milliseconds gun reloads? Sure why not. Recoil? Never heard of it. Massive scripting (of course this is to be expected with SP but still doesn't make it less irritating) Idiotic game planning such as the Abrams which has a working tank gun yet decides to sit and watch the fireworks rather than single handedly annihilate the enemy and save everybody heaps of trouble, 2 words for that: very stupid. Ah what else.....lots. I mean yes yes I know COD doesn't=realism but this is just too stupid.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just finished playing through the very brief demo, here are my thoughts:

1) Great art, loved the character models, weapon animations, and sounds (weapons actually sounded like their real world counterparts). Overall, a very immersive experience, especially compared against previous CoD titles.

2) Way too much scripting. I don't mind being told where to go or what to do, but this seemed a bit too much hand holding.

3) Hopefully, they will do justice to the multiplayer component, as I could see this game being successful in that respect if it's fleshed out.

4) Yes, realism is a joke with the laser point ballistics and weak AI. But it's what you come to expect from the arcade ride you step on.

I was expecting a lot less from the demo, so I'm fairly pleased overall. My main concern is the level of challenge being offered in the game. Right now, it felt like a breeze going from building to building, not to mention the over abundant scripting as mentioned before.

Upvote 0
Demo was pretty meh as expected. Decent fun I suppose, but it's pretty much exactly the same as CoD/2 in terms of gameplay. I'm more interested in the multiplayer department really. Supposedly there's going to be a special 'hardcore' mode for online play, where the game will hopefully resemble the original CoD more than it's sequel (no grenade indicators, no radar telling you where the enemy is, weapons deal out much more damage). My only gripe is the complete lack of recoil that was brought in with CoD2. Probably something to do with the fact that it's difficult to control recoil using the stick of a 360 controller...That and the field of view, which again might have something to do with it's console development.

Upvote 0
I like it except for a few things:

The console perspective thingy- you know, feels like youre looking through a magnifying class all the time (camera pivots in a weird way).
Regenerating health- seriously wtf?
Nade threath icon- again, seriously, wtf?
I dunno about console gamers but I have the brainmatter to figure out when a nade is coming at me. I don`t need some fuken icons for it.
Finally, the HUD. The hud is so s*it I was about to kill myself when I stated playing.

I will still buy it in hopes of mods and add-ons making it feel more like CoD1/UO (MP), not CoD2 or 3 which were crap.

At least it feels more like a PC game and not a port but still some retarded s*it in it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0