• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation StuG III Ausf. E

By the rust I assume you are refering to the weathering on the side of the superstructure?

That is actually dirt collected on the side of the tank ( or atleast, I tried to make it look that way :p ). Similiar to this photo:

acksizedtb2.jpg

I'll change it a little to make it seem more like dirt rather then rust.

Also, the eagle stamp on the rear crates is too small to make out a swastika or not.

Thanks for the heads up guys!

that might actually be camo paint. they had sort of cream to smear on their tanks even before the war and before they switched to dunkelgelb as base colour

see here: http://www.panzerbaer.de/colours/wh_camo-a.htm
only in german though :p

so either way you might want to make the spots either larger and/or less red/dark.

Upvote 0
the best follower for the Stug E would be the StuH42 sturmhaubitze. as captain obvious seems to want true infantry support vehicles.

it was made because all the stug3's were being used by armored divisions as anti-tank panzers, so they fitted a 105mm 42/2 howtzer gun on a stugIII chassis.
the only mid and late war infantry support vehicle, 10.5 CM GUN!! and a mg34.
when this baby fires a HE shell, it can flip over a IS2!

used from late 42 to 45, 1212 produced, against 7893 stugIII's

only the barrel is different from the stug3, so you would have limited work to convert them ;)

102007093.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
not entirely true, the stugIII was still employed by the sturmabteilungen in a ratio of 3/1 next to the Stuh's, but as mentioned the stugIII were employed in an AT role more often than not and they needed infantry support aswell. taking a 105mm howitzer was just following the trend of upgrading firepower to make up for the loss in numbers the germans had to face towards the end.

Upvote 0
only the barrel is different from the stug3, so you would have limited work to convert them ;)

New gun code, new gun sounds, new reload sounds, new interior model, new interior UV map, new interior texture, new gunsight texture, new shell texture for HUD... prolly a few other things I forgot too. If you want to go the whole hog you could also start working on seperate emitters for the shell explosion and possibly different engine sounds and code to reflect the fact that the speed/engine load was probably different too.

Not all that incredibly limited, I'm afraid. :p

*Edit* Oh, and a map to put it in. :)

Upvote 0
meh, nestor you*** :p

i was talking about the 3d model, as thats what captain O does!

@Imperator: i do think the StuH was designed to mainly support infantry, and im not sure of its anti-tank abilities. while with the Stug series, it was no secret that the upgrades and newer versions gradually changed the original design of an assault gun wich accasionally served as anti-tank gun, to a pure tank-hunter who occasionally served as an assault gun.
with the StuH they went back to basics

Upvote 0
not entirely true, the stugIII was still employed by the sturmabteilungen in a ratio of 3/1 next to the Stuh's, but as mentioned the stugIII were employed in an AT role more often than not and they needed infantry support aswell. taking a 105mm howitzer was just following the trend of upgrading firepower to make up for the loss in numbers the germans had to face towards the end.
Sorry, I'm going to be pedantic about it.

Originally StuGs were fielded as Sturmartillerie batteries, and then later organised as battalions or abteilungen.

In early '41, the name was changed to Sturmgeschuetz Abteilungen.
In late '42 / early '43, the formations received more guns and were reorganised as brigades, and this continued until the end,

In mid '44, Sturmartillerie brigades were (re)introduced alongside the Sturmgeschuetz bridages.
On paper, the Sturmartillerie were the mix of 3:1 StuG and StuH, while the Sturmgeschuetz continued as formations of StuG.

In late '44 and '45, StuGs were issued to other types of formations, such as panzer battalions, but this was to get the formations up to strength, rather than being desired deployment.

The StuH were originally produced in '42, by converting existing StuGs. I'm not sure that a vehicle produced in '42 could be be classed as "towards the end". I'm not 100% sure how the StuH were deployed prior to late '44, but I'm guess as battalions, attached to divisions as required, in the same manner as the Sturminfanteriegesch

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Absolutely great work. To me it looks like it will not fit in very well with the stock RO vehicles though. It looks as if it has a different texture style than stock RO vehicles. A good and more realistic one that is. Ah maybe that's just me seeing things.

Offtopic: Why was Heinz banned?
No, you're right, in my opinion - vanilla RO tanks don't have all those little details: scratches, dirty spots etc. That Stug's texture is really something! I would be really glad if TWI had hired Captain Obvious!

About Heinz - you should probably check History forum, Gurkha's thread.

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

I'm very sorry for the lack of updates. Yes I am still working on the StuG! The reason for the lack of activity in this project is because I've been busy working with the CC and DH mods. I want to help out the mods before I work on the StuG so that they could be release to the public a little faster.

However, there is progress being made with the StuG. The guys at AHz are taking up the task of implementing the StuG into RO. Also, I have been working on the interiors for the StuG as well. Here is a very crude WIP of the driver int:

stugE_driver_int.jpg

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

I'm very sorry for the lack of updates. Yes I am still working on the StuG! The reason for the lack of activity in this project is because I've been busy working with the CC and DH mods. I want to help out the mods before I work on the StuG so that they could be release to the public a little faster.

Multitasking ftw :D

Upvote 0
Hey guys, just a small update. Here's a screen of the StuG E with the Summer skin ingame; I do it to accuractly gauge the quality of the textures. Among other things, the tracks color needs to be desaturated a bit, and I need to rebuild the geometry on the inside of the road wheels.

stuge_bondarevogametest_01.jpg

And as a side project to the StuG E, I want to make the Ausf B version too. The problem with the Ausf E is that it was not introduced until Autumn 1941, so it's not useable on very early Barbarrossa maps. The Ausf B in the game would give mappers the opprotunity to use a short-barrel StuG on the early 1941 maps, such as Berezina-type maps with heavy infantry action.
Fortunately, I'm pretty sure I can use the same interiors for the Ausf E and Ausf B, so it'll save alot of work.

stugb_rendertest_01.jpg

Upvote 0