• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Do you trust VAC?

For everyone that claims they have seen a aimbot in use... please spectate that person for a while before you accuse anyone of it. I have never seen a aimbot being used in this but there are some very skilled players. Im not sure how a aimbot would even work in thsi since the weapon sways as you walk unless your in iron sites. I have had a bunch of people on a server at a time all swearing that i use a aim bot but if they would just spectate me for ten min they would see i miss more often then not. Most people just assume since they got hit by a running hipshot from a sniper or bolt action that it must be a aimbot. But the fact is you can learn to hipshoot and hit targets at ranges up to maybe 50 feet or so. Personaly i cant do it with the bolt actions but there are people that can. It dosnt mean they are cheating. I have made many hipshots with the semi auto sniper rifles that would of really pissed me off if i was on the other side of it. its really not hard at all. Im not sure if its just me or what but the snipers seem to sway less then the other guns when you run with them.

thankfully most server admins are smart enough not to ban players just because they are good and someone says they are cheating. Please take the time to watch them play before banning them for cheating. VAC really does work. If the same player has been cheating for months without being caught... maybe its because they are just that good.

If you know of cheats seen them on a site or whatever just report them so vac will ban the people that use it next time.

Upvote 0
I can remember a cheater during the mod times. Otto skorzensy was his nick. Everyone on his team decided to block him so that he couldnt move. FF was off so he was stuck entire rounds. I might still have screens of that...

He had a wallhack too. It was his preferred cheat, because it meant that people took about 3.4747 minutes longer to realise he was blatantly cheating. I'm not sure if there were any mod servers that he wasn't banned from...

Upvote 0
Their are cheats for this game and yes their are players using them. I would like to all warn you, to stay away from the =TRB= clan that uses these cheats. Users so far Blitzer, Hardcore, and Pickles. This isn't a joke, and the =TRB= clan is already banned from playing at roladder.net because of their use of cheats.

hmm I am surprised to read this... never knew that it was the reason o_O

Upvote 0
The simple answer: no.

The elaboration:

1) No, previous experience at other games tells me there are bound to be hackers. The limits of the community size suggest that merely there's going to be less hackers, not a lack of them.

2) No, because there are clanners. Clanners have this pro attitude towards games they play, so they start doing lotsa tricks. While in general I admire their skills and tactics, when I see them implemented, there's been a clan or two that I've made a habit of avoiding on servers. Either they are so bloody good - which is probable, since I'm relatively new at this game - or they are using a mixture of exploits/bugs/hacks, in any proportion. Again, not trying to offend clanners in general - I just know how it's been in previous games I played.

3) No, because the hackers that are self-conscious about it are not going to use overt hacking. Instead they'll be very discreet at it, making it a nightmare to prove anything to them and coming back for another hack kill. I mean, sure there are these situations where you stomach a whole PPSh leadcloud and live to tell the tale, but sometimes you'd really swear that rifle round went clear through the fellow and yet he's all fit as a fiddle.

4) No, since there are still some exploits in the game and I'd imagine it not impossible to write some hacks pushing exploits even further. Like - already mentioned in some other thread about downgrading detail settings - seeing through walls on long ranges. Unfortuntely I've experienced it when I went 16 bit on colours. Had to go back to 32 bit and downgrade elsewhere. Anyway, from a bug that allows you to see through walls it's not that long of a way to wallhacks and whatnot.

5) No, cuz I ain't don't trust no nobody, never. ;)

Upvote 0
2) No, because there are clanners. Clanners have this pro attitude towards games they play, so they start doing lotsa tricks. While in general I admire their skills and tactics, when I see them implemented, there's been a clan or two that I've made a habit of avoiding on servers. Either they are so bloody good - which is probable, since I'm relatively new at this game - or they are using a mixture of exploits/bugs/hacks, in any proportion. Again, not trying to offend clanners in general - I just know how it's been in previous games I played

black sheeps are everywhere. On the other hand there are always scrubs that will complain about anything some claner did (no offence to you personaly)... I am sure that many positions used on public today are taken from clan players. We claners are not playing RO to disgust it for other players but to have more fun than just chaotic public can offer...

Upvote 0
We claners are not playing RO to disgust it for other players but to have more fun than just chaotic public can offer...

Yep, and that's what I've always liked about multiplayer games. Teamwork. Publics usually lack it, but still, you sometimes get a good assault/defence going. From where I came to RO, there was also the so-called institution of gathers, where you'd have random people (clanners most of them, anyway) put into teams and pitted in a CW-esque game. Better than public, more fun & less hardcore than CWs, IMO. But that was in an environment of 3-5 people per team, so I don't think it'd be possible for RO. Sadly.

Upvote 0
All I see in this thread is somebody bragging about his pwnage and nothing relevant about VAC.

Either way it is a good thing. :cool:

Well it wouldn't be the first time.
Vac-proof cheats for RO? Gotta be. Organised proliferation of them amoungst a number of dedicated cheaters? Nah.. at least not yet.
The relativly small number of RO servers and tight community is the best prevention you can have.
That said I there will probably be a link to a youtube vid posted here at some point, with the first proper evidence of cheating.

Upvote 0
You are once again understanding me wrong.

But I'm taking this quote from the Valve VAC forums:

VAC uses a delay banning system. What this means is, a cheater gets flagged by VAC and then gets banned in the future. So it is very possible you can see someone cheating on a server. This is done so a cheater doesn not know what cheat got them banned ... creating confusion.

You can be assured that the player has most likely (if not then soon to be) banned by VAC. The system just hasn't instituted its latest ban list.

Once again, this is not a substitute for a live admin, No anti cheat system is. However VAC works 2 fold both by banning cheaters so they won't be able to play the game (unless your server is not VAC secure, then anybody VAC banned may play on your server), as well as creating the fear of a ban, so they might not cheat to avoid it. All VAC bans are permanent - Valve and Tripwire have a zero-tolerance policy for cheating.

Upvote 0
VAC works in sync with a live admin.

A admins job is to ban active cheaters, VAC's job is to ban them from the servers they weren't cheating on as well as your own if you didn't catch them by hand.

I can not go into any detail on how VAC actually works or what cheats it will indeed ban as that would work against the VAC system. You might not like this but it is how the system works (and yes it has worked for RO in the past). Even if you don't "believe" in VAC, it does not hurt you to keep it on, it is indeed doing it's job.

On that note, you show me a Anti cheat system that is fool proof, and I'll show you somebody who is crazy :) (/me goes digging around for a mirror)

I'll step out of this thread now and just have the moderators moderate as needed. Have a good day.

Upvote 0
Yoshiro, well said.

Anyway, I have nothing highly insightful to add, just my own experiences. In my time playing RO I've seen opponents make unlikely kills, but none that couldn't be put down to skill, luck, or a combination of the two. And there have also been times I've amazed myself with all sorts of lucky and ridiculous kills, but I've never been accused of cheating over them.

In fact, if I recall correctly, in the entire time I've been playing this game (since August 2006) I've only been accused of cheating twice, and both times the accusations came from sore losers who were most likely just having a bad day and didn't really mean it. I compare this to the days I used to play Call of Duty online, where I was accused of cheating frequently.

Upvote 0
I don't trust VAC, not because I think it does not catch cheaters, but because I am skeptical about false positives. The VAC people claim that there are no errors and when you are banned it will not be revoked, sounds very suspicious to me. Anyone who has used a computer knows that there are bugs in every program, including VAC.

Upvote 0