• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Do you trust VAC?

What stats? On a server I played on for a couple months there were like 5 people who had been banned via VAC bans since January and I was playing around June, but I was seeing literally a cheat or more every single day I played there. They only have delayed bans because its the cheaper option. Why not have realtime protection like punkbuster? Because they would have to employ people to update it every few days rather than once every few months. Yup they might catch a lot of cheaters, but the whole point of cheat protection is to stop them as soon as possible, not 3 months later..they will just buy a new copy or "obtain" one is some way and carry on for a few more months till the next update. On paper it might look like a lot of people are being banned, but it doesn't change the state of the servers between the bans.​

Stats that are private, thanks. And let me just say you're wrong in your assessment of the frequency of updates and bans. Not every cheat is going to be added the split second they're released. Get used to that fact.

VAC's still as useless as the day it was conceived. I prefer it over PB though, because at least VAC's benign. PB on the other hand, not only doesn't stop cheats, but also causes problems for everyone else. I'll take VAC's placebo over PB's poison anyday.
Again, see my response above. VAC works.

Upvote 0
I just think it is a decent means of protection but nothing is perfect.

In my CS Experience, it was simply forcing the 1337 hackers to updatre their **** at every new version...

But at least it is helping discourage hackers or newbi hackers... keeping them to some minimum...

In other words, I just think it's better then nothing...

I trust that VAC does a decent job.

As for RO, I have not yet seen a hacker.

I have already been called a hacker after taking some sick rifle distance shots :D (I love my monitors)

One thing I have to add is that it is almost impossible in RO to tell when one is hacking unless they are obvious fools.
In CS, I can spectate, I see his gun and yes... wonderful crossair pointing exactly where he aims/twitches... its just soo easy to catch them.
In RO, I don't see the gun so I can't tell where he was aiming to begin with. :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only cheats I've seen if you can call them that are map exploits and other small forms of engine exploits such as making small movements left to right when using bolt so your head boggles back and forth making it harder to get a headshot on you etc.

I must admit that I find myself doing this from time to time, although I'm not sure how effective it is. In spectating it sure does look like it could dodge bullets!

But real cheats as in hacks that gives you godlike abilities, no. Except having a very fast computer with a Razer mouse... If you don't have a Razer, you are missing out! You can change the optical speed of the scanner with the touch of a button!

And sound. By simply using a cheap headseat you can hear people coming around corners. This sometimes can attract an eyebrow or the occasional TK now and then if you are jumpy. Old CS trick.

Upvote 0
lol i cheated in CS once.. for fun.. i shot guys through walls all the time with my "artic"....
but something i noticed.. it still takes skill to cheat...
or maybe just the other on the servers were better 2 cheat:D

just cant see the fun in cheating in RO... it's all about feeling like your at war.. and well.. seeing through walls.. that would destroy all the fun..
and shooting without recoil.. then ill just play some other game that doesnt use recoil...

Upvote 0
I believe this has to do with logic. Just because one knows cheats exist for other games using the same protection doesn't mean that the logical conclution that there has to be cheats for for this game too has to be drawn when you see something strange.

Most things have a logical explonation. We're all paranoid. Some more then others. On the subject of cheats in RO, I believe everything can be explained.

Some people are just better then others, and sometimes you just get lucky. Is it not possible that it can be that simple?

EDIT:
On a sidenote: Don't forget that people are always going to try and cheat, whether it'd be having a faster computer, better hardware (mouse, high volume headphones etc.) or even software cheats. Hell, look at the wars going on today. What do you think the Iraqis say when they encounter enemies with .50 caliber sniper rifles, air supiriority, high tech beam weapons and unlimited funding it seems? Is that fair?

I don't want to start a political discussion. Just think about that.

It's a game! Enjoy it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've never seen a definite case of cheating in all my time playing.

I've seen some exploits and some really really good shots and some folks who seem to be reading my mind, but then I remember all the times I've owned folks who must have felt that way due to my cunning anticipation of their measly peasant schemes, so yeah. :D I think it's not cheating, it's just good gaming intuition.

Generally if someone were complaining in RO about cheats, I would assume they're the usual suspect - the guy who can't take losing. He looks for an excuse, he blames the other guy for whatever shortfall he thinks is making him lose (couldn't be his skills or the enemy's, oh no), you know the type.

Sadsacks.

Bad for morale.

Never look for excuses. Sometimes the enemy is just better and that doesn't mean you're not Mama's Special Little Man anymore, it just means somebody else is good too.

Upvote 0
I've never seen a definite case of cheating in all my time playing.

I've seen some exploits and some really really good shots and some folks who seem to be reading my mind, but then I remember all the times I've owned folks who must have felt that way due to my cunning anticipation of their measly peasant schemes, so yeah. :D I think it's not cheating, it's just good gaming intuition.

Generally if someone were complaining in RO about cheats, I would assume they're the usual suspect - the guy who can't take losing. He looks for an excuse, he blames the other guy for whatever shortfall he thinks is making him lose (couldn't be his skills or the enemy's, oh no), you know the type.

Sadsacks.

Bad for morale.

Never look for excuses. Sometimes the enemy is just better and that doesn't mean you're not Mama's Special Little Man anymore, it just means somebody else is good too.

Welp, if you ever actually had the responsability of administrating a server for a large group, you would find , after very very short research , that there are indeed VAC proof..umm...advantages available out there.Some free, and some for a price. They are not widely used, as RO is more of a patience game and the 1337 crowd doesnt hang out very long it seems, but they do exist. They are not that hard to spot after spectating for a short bit. But dont delude yourself into thinking that VAC is the end all be all AC, because it isnt.

Upvote 0
Yeah I don't know much about anti-cheat software, I'm just sayin' what I'm seein'.

There may BE some cheats out there, sure, but if you're the kind of guy who accuses folks of cheating willy-nilly... well, we've all seen the type.

That we can definately agree on. Most of the time , its straight up. But evrey so often there is one that just does the impossible over and over again. they are pretty easy to pick out.

Upvote 0
Link removed

I dont know is it posible in this wersion.... but i dont thrust Vac....

More than that just today i fell i goten 3 ivans on cheats .... i goten hit in the same second i poped my head out of cower.... and it was like instant shot... - i dont know how to phrase it im not nativ to english.... just somthing was 'felling' not alright.... and i bilive i am not a noob ...

In half of second round i quit playing in RO ... fun fr today is ruined – maybe tomorow...

Sorry for bad english.... not native to it

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0