• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Melee Attack Suggestions

New Melee Attack Suggestions

• Fists, I'm man enough to duke it out with an armed enemy.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Trench knife, never leave home without it.

Votes: 36 43.9%
  • Shovel or entrenching tool. Ever been hit with a shovel?

Votes: 41 50.0%
  • I'd fling my helmet at them "Saving Private Ryan style".

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • "CoD3-Style Struggle Melee" aka "Wrestle with enemy, Grab their gun, and Pop a cap in their a$$".

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • I'd surrender. (I'd insert a comment about the French here, but I don't feel cruel tonight)

Votes: 8 9.8%

• Total voters
I vote Trench Knife and Shovel. However this must be implemented in a realistic way. Soldiers didn't go around knifing people since it's a cool way to kill them. I think that the knife should only be pulled out when your weapon is SHOT not dropped out of your hands
Yes agreed!

Out of all the options the "Trench knife"(Im assuming you mean a bayonet) is the most realistic and the one I d personally like to see in game seeing as most soldiers were issued bayonets or somekind of knife for example the German paratroopers were issued the "Gravity knife" pictured below;
gravity_knife_repro3.jpg

As for throwing things like a helmets at the emeny is strictly Hollywood fiction and should not be implemented in game!!Punching I really dont think it could be implemented realistically in Ro and shovels although they were used in times of desperation especially on the Eastern front belong in Dod since it would look comical in game and certain players would go around trying to shovel everyone instead of killing enemies normally( this happens in DOD alot)!:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I vote Trench Knife and Shovel. However this must be implemented in a realistic way. Soldiers didn't go around knifing people since it's a cool way to kill them. I think that the knife should only be pulled out when your weapon is SHOT not dropped out of your hands.

Well,this isnt realistic,I mean,sure they didnt do it but this is a game,you should have absolute freedom for your character,superficial limits ****,and besides,you would get killed while doing that pretty quickly anyways...

Edit: "su.ck" is a profanity? :|

Upvote 0
Field Marshal Rommel said:
shovels although they were used in times of desperation especially on the Eastern front belong in Dod since it would look comical in game and certain players would go around trying to shovel everyone instead of killing enemies normally( this happens in DOD alot)!:)

disagree
RO has one shot = one kill
and i say it

Upvote 0
The shovel may be a reasonable idea but I can't get past the image of someone running out of the spawn tool in hand swinging it at thin air.

If you have your gun, you should not have access to no other melee weapons because let's face it. You've got a gun in your hand. You're going to use it. You've got a butt, and a bayo to use.

If your weapon is shot out of your hand then perhaps allow players to select the shovel, or maybe a knife (if your bayonet wasn't attached to your rifle).

Edit : I'm glad you didn't make a joke about the french and surrendering. Not because I'm french, but because I've been looking into French losses in both world wars recently and they are not nice.

Upvote 0
Well this is a good and bad idea depending on how it is implented.
It would be a good idea lets say if your gun was shot out of your hands and you do not have a sidearm then you could either reach and pull out a "trench knife" or use your fists as you do melee. Hold down to charge, or continual pressing to do fast yet slow damage.

This should ONLY be implented if you pull your knife or fist out if you have no main gun or sidearm.

Upvote 0
Well,this isnt realistic,I mean,sure they didnt do it but this is a game,you should have absolute freedom for your character,superficial limits ****,and besides,you would get killed while doing that pretty quickly anyways...

Edit: "su.ck" is a profanity? :|

Sure it is. You are armed. You have a gun, infintely better than any knife on the battlefields of WWII. Would you drop that gun and run up to the enemy just to stab him. And trust me if I can run out of the building across from G. Square in Odessa, across the G. Square and bayonet their machine gunner in the face, what stops a guy with a knife doing the same. Had about 7 guys shooting at me, and I still got their.

Upvote 0
It doesnt matter,if that soldier had the option to do it,so should you;what makes a game realistic is inflicting penalties to the players,to simulate what would have happened to a real soldier in war.
I agree that the rifle is better,but I just think the option should be there,
because artificial penalties are crap...

Upvote 0
anyway...talking about body combat in a shooter is kind of joke...this is not "street fighter"...we would need a PS/Xbox/any Console here keypad and a 3rd person view for such purposes.

It usually happens that in 1st person shooters this kind of fight its ridicolous as we cant move our arms or turn the head/eyes (as we had trackir)...
usually this kind of things come to a furball both running in circles trying to caugh the other...+ this is not LAN....and even is you see that you are punching your opponent sometimes nothing happens as your relative position to the oponent must be so close and precise to hit that net dont let it be.

Anything will go...the point here is fix the screwing problem of lag.

Upvote 0