• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [Preview] RO-Berezina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great time with the latest Alpha test. Good play throughout but damn hard if you can't coordinate efforts. AWESOME battle for the bridge. A sixty minute round ended at 4:00 to go with a German victory. Final reinforcements were at 60% German and 33% Russian. That was with 18-20 players.

We found a few things to tweak but nothing to stop a 'beta1' this week. Stay tuned.

Upvote 0
Any news on the beta1 date Slyk?

I just watched the "fly-by" video and the vision and content contained within this map is simply astounding!
I'd post the link but it's not for me to unleash this on an unsuspecting world that's Slyk's job but I would advise everyone to go look for themselves.
http://www.after-hourz.com/forum/index.php it's simply an astonishing project in scope alone.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Update:

I hate bots.

Spawns and objectives are done. I have done a little detail work in some houses and barns etc. NOT a lot. Level preview is done. Basic PR needs taken care of.

Bots are not done. I do not see this being finished for beta1. On a map this size it is beyond me how long it will take. The two hours I attempted to plot paths last night was a waste. I hope to get this out any day now but time is an issue, I just don't have much right now and most of the next 48 hours is committed to other issues.

Thanks for asking, Butch! SOON!

Upvote 0
I think Bot pathing is important because not every server is blessed wth a full house every night.
So they do allow those servers to provide at least a game for their clients.

Bots may not be that smart right now but again the devs have stated bots are something they will at in a future patch so they could become very very smart.
The original bots for UT2004 did provide a much sterner test than those in RO especially if they were set to the highest level.

Upvote 0
If you're making a map that's 50 billion kilometers in size without thinking about how bots are going to navigate the map then you will hit serious problems - botpathing shouldn't be a secondary thought as far as level design is concerned and this is a classic example of how it can go wrong - you could save yourself a headache and leave it a Bot / AI free map but that's a bit cheap.

Edit: I do recall a method whereby a free roaming bot laid down a series of pathnodes when playing - it was called pathbuild and was a automatic path noding program by Epic - I'm not sure if this version of the editor supports it and when I asked Ramm about it he didn't know what I was talking about so it must have been removed at some point but it was definately a coded feature in Unreal Tournament as this 402 patch indicated.

- automatic path builder (documented in updated UT-AI.htm)

http://unreal.epicgames.com/UT_AI.htm

Lruce

Upvote 0
I have built plenty of popular maps in other games. This is my first UT game and the first that ever supported bots. I never needed to consider them before and honestly, I would not let them dictate how I build a map. That is the least of my concerns. I actually find your comments, Lruce, to be quite condescending. Are bots possible? Sure. Does that mean everyone should have to plan for them? No. Will it make maps more popular? Possibly. You could have a total piece of **** map that had the most advanced bot pathing ever. Does that make it a great map?

I will work at it, but I find the AI to be the least important part of any map. They cheat their collective asses off anyway and for the most part are so dumb it's pointless to have them as most every map becomes a spawn exit camp fest. What's the point of having pathing if there are only X amount of exits where you kill them over and over every 30 seconds.

Upvote 0
Well I have a different design philosophy I guess - botpathing and game AI is such a fundemental part of level design I've never really seen it any other way - I guess that's where we differ but that's just my take on it - When it comes to commercial level design you just can't go around thinking like that and this has re-enforced how I look at the whole process nowadays.

Lruce

Upvote 0
IF your game supports bots, then of course commercial releases will contain them. Does that mean they are viable/intelligent? No. The day someone starts paying me to add bots into maps, I'll plan for them and implement them. Until then I will stick to getting my 'vision' as right as I can for players and gameplay.

If the TW publisher had gotten their act together and done proper PR for the game, there would be a whole lot less *****ing about empty/thinnly occupied servers and the need for bots at all. That is the real shame.

Upvote 0
Bots can be detrimental to RO in some cases as well. During the free week, I heard new users complain about bunnyhopping etc. when they witnessed bots jumping on and off their tanks. Some even thought that players had hacked the movement, and were aimbotting etc.

They are great in practice mode, but in multiplayer they don't always showcase the game in its best light.

If it were possible to have them emulate human players then it would make it into a good coop / single player alternative. And the energy/time spent on them would be justified.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.