• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO is great, but the maps....c'est horrible!

perato said:
I have not played many of the custom maps, but most of them are just horrible, I mean that they are horrible, nothing else.

I mostly agree with you there, As far every custom map I've played so far they really look like a quick job knocked up, very sparse and not alot of overall map dressing, and by dressing I don't mean dumping trees everywhere.

Upvote 0
Personally I think it is up to server admins to screen new mod maps more carefully cause I've seen server's empty out when a particullarly horrible mod map get's put on.

IMO most all the mod maps blow dead dogs for quarters, there is a few select few that have a real polished look and gameplay feel like the one I played once with the ruined buildings the post office and a t43 vs tiger with infantry running around. That was a good map.

Don't get me started on all the trench warfare lost in a snowy forest maps. Good for a map that I just learned how to make on the editor but that's it.

Back to my point, Server admins need to test out mod maps more before just slapping them onto thier server.

Upvote 0
Oi!Oi!Oi! said:
People "who played the mod" are annoying. Whether it's Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat or Red Orchestra. It's always the same story.

"Everything was better in the mod, the new players don't get it, wah wah wah"

You are like old people who always ramble about how everything was better back in the days. :cool:

You ragamuffin! :mad: I'll hit you with my cane!

Back in my day, you could buy a muffin for a penny! *mumble*

Upvote 0
The_Cook said:
Back to my point, Server admins need to test out mod maps more before just slapping them onto thier server.

Well yeah, that should go without saying. I think many of the custom maps are released and put on public servers way before they're ready for public testing. No one wants to play RO-GlitchyUnfinishedBeta0.001. although I swear I've run into that one and it's little brothers on several occaisions as part of some regular map cycles.

That being said, there are also some great custom maps out there, both infantry and tank. It's good to have people willing to invest their time into making these maps -- even those who aren't ready for primetime yet. Every mapper will make a few duds here and there and once in a while come out with one that really shines. Give it some time; the SDK's only been out for 2 months now.

Upvote 0
It's all about your opinion:

Partisan Forest sucks because it's dark!

Partisan Forest is awesome because it's dark!

Ponyri was awesome! Baskova sucks!

Baskova is awesome! Ponyri sucked!

Orel sucks because I hate tank maps!

Koitos sucks because I hate infantry maps!

See my point? It's almost entirely based on how each individual person feels about a certain map. Variety is a good thing! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I liked Ponyri, and I like Basovka. All the offical maps are really very well done and detailed. I mean really, where else can you find poop floatin in a toilet? That's love, man.

And the custom-map scene is really *just* getting started. Think about it. For a while, you could either map or play, because the filesystem would screw up and make the game crash if you opened up the SDK. Then they up and switched filesystems, so everything had to be re-unpacked and set up. And, it's the UEd engine. Which sure, some people have a lot of experience with, but people coming here from DoD and CS probably don't know as well as others. As the game grows, the custom map scene will too. I remember very vividly some of the maps for Infiltration, a mod that was around for a long LONG time, and it never had half the player base that RO:Ost currently has. Give it time, and those stuff of legend maps will come.

(but smoke grenades were a big-big no-no. for shame, TW, for shame =p)

Upvote 0
DrGuppy said:
It's all about your opinion:

Exactly.

Personally I enjoy most of the custom maps out there.

Sgt._Geist said:
Untill you guys play some of the old maps.... man you are missing out big time... Its a shame most of those maps didnt even make it over, they were much much better!

Not exactly...

There are a few great ones that should have made the transfer, true. The others are ported for nostalgia, not for their "fantastic quality."

Upvote 0
Tbh, I was a little underwhelmed with the map selection of Ostfront. It was good to see StalingradKessel, KrasnyiOktyabr, Baksan and Kaukasus return. On the other hand, the new maps were just not that good. Although some of them did grow on me through repeated playing. But what really surprised me was the new found roles of the tank maps in RO. Originally tanks were only added for combined arms purposes yet they departed from infantry combat. Four of the thirteen original maps are tank maps, and since I hardly find them fun to play, it really narrows down my options. I think the focus of tanks has split the community somewhat. There are the players who want to play only tanks and there are players who want to play as infantry. And for the lucky players who enjoy both, I envy you. Which brings me ask this from the devs and the modding community: give us more combined arms maps!!! It's the reason why tanks were added in the first place. There are not enough CA maps atm. If we have more, everyone would be happy: the tankers and infantry fighting side by side. No more alienating one group or the other.

Also, one mod map most players don't mention enough: Maikop. This I think is one of the best and most overlooked maps. A true bolt rifleman's dream.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maikop was kind of a POS, though. It was a neat map, but it had far too many glitches and collision hang-ups that needed to be fixed up.

I agree, though. More combined arms maps are needed. Unfortunately, combined arms are the most difficult maps to design, because somehow you have to match the close ranges of infantry combat with the long reach of the tanks without handicapping either class.

Upvote 0
Maps

Maps

People "who played the mod" are annoying. Whether it's Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat or Red Orchestra. It's always the same story.

"Everything was better in the mod, the new players don't get it, wah wah wah"

You are like old people who always ramble about how everything was better back in the days.

Dont generalise like that. I have played since the first version on UT2003 and I think Ostfront is a vast improvement.

When the mod went over to UT2004 people started asking for vehicles and a lot of the community was against this and seemingly the devs to who wanted to keep it infantry based. But because of pressure they introduced tanks ect which I was dead against. I was wrong though and even though I still prefer the infantry ones I love the tanks now. I never took to them in the mod version but they are great in Ost.

As far as maps go we are all different and will never agree what makes a good map. I loved Berlin at first but after playing it for a thousand times I got really sick of it. It always won map votes and I would sit and scratch my head wondering why when we could have been playing Jucha or Donets or Spatakovka. All maps are good though and we should encourage the makers to make/port as many as possible. If you dont like them, just play it through until map change as others will be enjoying it. Having tried to make maps I have a lot of respect for them as I realise how bloody hard it is.

ta

Chi

Upvote 0
IMO StalingradKessel is one of the worst online maps I've played ever. It's just so...annoying. But everyone else seems to like it so meh. On the other hand the Stalingrad map for CoD was one of the best maps I've played, in any game, ever. It was just so good.

A tiny minority of the custom maps are excelent, Makhnovo, Orel 88vs76, BDJ, KurlandKessel, Factory (I think that's what it's called), and one that I played once that looked like Baksan but with a huge bridge and a massive valley in the middle. All of the other custom maps I've played have been sub-par.

Maps are one part of the problem of RO, the other part is how infantry combat is handled. It's just not fun. Maybe the tank combat far outshines the infantry combat, and thus makes it look bad, or it's just plain bad, but either way, playing as infantry is rarely fun and feels more like a chore IMHO. And most of the maps feature infantry so this doesn't help. The devs were going in the right direction with maps like Odessa, Konigs, the new Lyes Krovy, Bonda, Kauk, and Hedgehog. They messed up with the rest.

Upvote 0
What are we all playing the same game i thought the maps in this game official and custom are some of the best i've ever seen, sure some are pretty bad personally i dont know why people rave about koitis terrible looking map imho plus i dont see what people see in the gameplay.

Upvote 0
Munk Polkadot said:
Also, one mod map most players don't mention enough: Maikop. This I think is one of the best and most overlooked maps. A true bolt rifleman's dream.

I was just gonna post asking if someone was going to port over the excellent Maikop but you beat me to it :p

Munk Polkadot said:
Tbh, I was a little underwhelmed with the map selection of Ostfront. It was good to see StalingradKessel, KrasnyiOktyabr, Baksan and Kaukasus return. On the other hand, the new maps were just not that good.

Agree 100% with what you say here, i was also underwhelmed with the choice of new Ostfront maps. Not to say i dont like Ostfront, becuase the gameplay tweaks are so much better than the mod. But i loved the choice of maps the mod had to offer. There was like 26+ maps on avarage to choose from.

Munk Polkadot said:
Originally tanks were only added for combined arms purposes yet they departed from infantry combat. Four of the thirteen original maps are tank maps, and since I hardly find them fun to play, it really narrows down my options. I think the focus of tanks has split the community somewhat. There are the players who want to play only tanks and there are players who want to play as infantry. And for the lucky players who enjoy both, I envy you. Which brings me ask this from the devs and the modding community: give us more combined arms maps!!! It's the reason why tanks were added in the first place. There are not enough CA maps atm. If we have more, everyone would be happy: the tankers and infantry fighting side by side. No more alienating one group or the other.

Kharkov was a good example of how combined arms should be. While the map had issues it still balanced the tank/infantry elements quite well.

Upvote 0
Coey said:
IMO StalingradKessel is one of the worst online maps I've played ever. It's just so...annoying. But everyone else seems to like it so meh. On the other hand the Stalingrad map for CoD was one of the best maps I've played, in any game, ever. It was just so good.
For me it's just the other way around :) .
I'm an old CoD1 rifle pussy and loved maps like rocket and pavlov! Till RO boxed came out in germany I had to play BF2 because me and my clan wanted something new and CoD 2 was just too bad...
But let me tell you all something: Just go play BF2 with 64 players on a city map with all those godlike vehicles. Then go back to RO, you will see that ROs maps are great (especially the infantry maps). There's no infantry map that's too small.

just my opinion.

Stahl

Upvote 0