• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO is great, but the maps....c'est horrible!

jedinstven-o crni Wuk said:
how can anyone REALY miss the old Berlin map from the mod :confused:

seriously, i hope we will NEVER EVER see it again ...

I agree with you there. It never fails to amaze me how the gaming community will gravitate to my least favorite maps.

I really didn't care for Berlin at all. The map itself was OK, but the spawn locations and the ability to exit camp was ridiculous.

I just realized in this thread that Basovka is a copy of Ponyri... Yet another maps that I didn't care for that was always played (the last objective was stupidly hard to cap). Basovka is a GIGANTIC improvement over the Mod version. And now that we have smoke grenades, the spawn exit camping shouldn't be such a big problem anymore.

My favorite maps in the Mod were the combined arms maps like Karkov and others. NONE of them made it over. Then again, combined arms maps are the red-headed stepchild of this game... Nobody wants to either make or play them.

Upvote 0
Rameusb5 said:
My favorite maps in the Mod were the combined arms maps like Karkov and others. NONE of them made it over. Then again, combined arms maps are the red-headed stepchild of this game... Nobody wants to either make or play them.

I do like them and I am making one. Kharkov was part of my inspiration. :) There is an odd lack of combined arms maps though. Probably because most servers are split into infantry/tank maps so awesome maps like KonigsPlatz get left out because they don't fit into either catagory. :(

Upvote 0
Im i the only one who likes all types infantry, combined and tank:confused:. My only gripe with this game is that the devs should scrap making tank levels the size of arad and ogeldow if your gonna make a tank level make it at least black july size, i would say make arad and ogledow combined arms maps remove some tanks and put more infantry in cos its clear from playing orel and blackjuly that arad and ogledow are way too small to make a proper tank level, combined arms probadly especially ogledow but not a tanker level.

Upvote 0
Coey said:
The devs were going in the right direction with maps like Odessa, Konigs, the new Lyes Krovy, Bonda, Kauk, and Hedgehog. They messed up with the rest.
I agree on that.

There is only one good combined arms map and that is koningsplatz, the rest is unbalanced. Making a good infantry map is hard, but making a good, balanced map that combines infantry WITH tanks is alot harder. I think the mapdevelopers underestimated that.

It's all more sad to see good combined arms maps from the mod didnt make it to the final. Like Karkov. :(

Upvote 0
DrGuppy said:
It's all about your opinion:

Partisan Forest sucks because it's dark!

Partisan Forest is awesome because it's dark!

Ponyri was awesome! Baskova sucks!

Baskova is awesome! Ponyri sucked!

Orel sucks because I hate tank maps!

Koitos sucks because I hate infantry maps!

See my point? It's almost entirely based on how each individual person feels about a certain map. Variety is a good thing! :rolleyes:
I just wanted to quote this post because it is the truth. Online gamers seem to have an obsession with the word "suck". Everything sucks if it's not their cup of tea. I see it all the time:

"OMG tank combat sucks"
"Rifles suck"
"The recoil sucks"
"Custom maps suck"
"This map sucks"
"Variety sucks"
:rolleyes:

I feel sorry for people like that. Their frame of reference must be awfully small. I just hate it when people bring their opinion forward as if it's a fact. 9 out of 10 times it comes down to the skill of the person himself. Many people say that "X" in RO sucks is because they're not good at it themselves. Get some skill and you will love it.

Besides, how hard is it to say "I don't like this", "imo" or "Not my cup of tea"?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Verluste21 said:
Partisan Forest for example, much played on servers, makes me wanna cry.

People who say "this map sucks" without validation make me want to cry. There are threads aplenty for the custom maps in the Level Design forum. Try visiting some and stating your case.

For instance, I question your taste when you say that Spartakovka (the map with the tall building and railroad track) is better than StalingradKessel. I can't even begin to conjure how you came up with that. Kessel is a multidimensional map, with multiple routes, multiple strategies, a high level of detail, 3 dimensional combat in the warehouse, and the need for teamwork (such as supporting sappers while they do their thing and counter-sniper fire). Sparta was so simple and boring. It always boiled down to a nadefest down nadespam alley. The irony is I *loved* this map, and still do.

As far as Partisan Forest, why is it unfinished? Most people have complimented me on the look and atmosphere of the map. During the betas I listened extensively to what real players had to say and implemented them. If you have anything to add, please visit the thread here and explain why this map brings you to tears.

Upvote 0
While we are map bashing, there is a map on high rotation at the moment on a few servers.

RO-Lodz-B4, How the **** does this map get votes.

It is totally **** in all aspects.

Does anyone really enjoy this map ?

It's like that CS 1.5 backalley map, which was OK for for CS I guess. If that is saying something.

pzsighoff.jpg

Upvote 0
paulz76 said:
While we are map bashing, there is a map on high rotation at the moment on a few servers.

RO-Lodz-B4, How the **** does this map get votes.

It is totally **** in all aspects.

Does anyone really enjoy this map ?

It's like that CS 1.5 backalley map, which was OK for for CS I guess. If that is saying something.

pzsighoff.jpg

lol, i allways liked backalley, it was so different from all other maps

Upvote 0
WickedPenguin said:
People who say "this map sucks" without validation make me want to cry. There are threads aplenty for the custom maps in the Level Design forum. Try visiting some and stating your case.

For instance, I question your taste when you say that Spartakovka (the map with the tall building and railroad track) is better than StalingradKessel. I can't even begin to conjure how you came up with that. Kessel is a multidimensional map, with multiple routes, multiple strategies, a high level of detail, 3 dimensional combat in the warehouse, and the need for teamwork (such as supporting sappers while they do their thing and counter-sniper fire). Sparta was so simple and boring. It always boiled down to a nadefest down nadespam alley. The irony is I *loved* this map, and still do.

As far as Partisan Forest, why is it unfinished? Most people have complimented me on the look and atmosphere of the map. During the betas I listened extensively to what real players had to say and implemented them. If you have anything to add, please visit the thread here and explain why this map brings you to tears.
So what's your point?

Upvote 0
Dcode said:
I was just gonna post asking if someone was going to port over the excellent Maikop but you beat me to it :p

I think GreenHell (the maps author) is lurking around here somewhere. Poke him with a stick :p

Maikop was the map that actually kicked me in the butt and motiviated me to try doing some community maps for RO (Kaukaus was the map that got me playing it...)

As for what WP's point was, I think he was just stating that constructive criticism will get people further then something short and empty like 'this map sucks'.. well.. explain -why- you feel it not that good... perhaps that way you might get it more to your liking..

Upvote 0
Oi!Oi!Oi! said:
People "who played the mod" are annoying. Whether it's Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat or Red Orchestra. It's always the same story.

"Everything was better in the mod, the new players don't get it, wah wah wah"

You are like old people who always ramble about how everything was better back in the days. :cool:

I'm offended. Please ban him.

And I think that the mod was horrible when you compare it to the retail game.

Upvote 0
Divinehammer said:
I dont see how you can dog any custom map if you are not putting out anything yourself. Good custom maps will rise to the top but dont put others down thats counter-productive.

good point. negativity accomplishes little. support the good maps you like. the "free market" will determine the rest. if a map is bad, it won't get played. the rest boils down to personal preference, infantry over tanks, vice versa, etc.

Upvote 0
jedinstven-o crni Wuk said:
how can anyone REALY miss the old Berlin map from the mod :confused:

seriously, i hope we will NEVER EVER see it again ...

I miss it, although it was overplayed in the mod, I still felt it was a fun map.

Lapata said:
I want that old school map with the Church in the middle a huge barn and an 88 position ... Sweet map!

RO-Jucha

Upvote 0