• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Orel Beta1

also, another guy modded the tank load outs FTW. see:

Originally Posted by 1.AR[GSC]=[ENIGMA]=
I've taken the liberty to change the loadouts slightly, just for shits'n giggles:

Numbers include BOTH spawns (initial / forward)

German:
2x Tiger (initial only)
10x PzIVF2 (5/5)
5x PZIII (3/2)
3x StuG (2/1)

Russian:
2x KV (1/1)
15x T34/76 (8/5)
3x SU76 (initial only)
So, the more homogenous force of the russians will, if coordinated, be able to swamp the more diverse german forces with T34, as was not uncommon or so i've read *o_0*, but the germans have two Tigers and with an equal coordinated german effort, this can be countered. Adapt and overcome...

1.AR Ostfront Server
RO-Orel-88vs76

Give it a try and see how it works out...

ps. DL link http://www.1armee.com/down/RO-Orel-88vs76.rom
also redirect on server only 5MB finally

I bet this version ultimately becomes most popular over time. it's just more thought out, tank allotment wise.

Upvote 0
kabex said:
Yeah, I am still seeing a ton of problems with the German loadouts.

Incredibly fun map but being stuck with infantry-support PZIVF/1(They are not meant for anti-tank, they have absolutely no use in this map) and STUGs, is just bad.

Especially when the Soviets get a buttload of T34/85s. Gerries get '41 tanks! Wheeee!

Except the Panthers, but you never have a chance to ride those. :(

Really needs balancing in the load-outs.

Stug = love. STOP THE HATE!

Besides, getting one shot kills from the side on a 34/85 is great fun :D

Upvote 0
Hi all- Im posting from china- couldn't wait :eek:

Well the reaction to my map has been great. Thanks to all the admins who have stuck it on their servers, and for all the great feedback- now I know what needs to be fixed.

There obviously were some errors with the tank load-out, the germs needed more firepower and the soviets shouldn't have had the T34-85. The version of Orel that came out shortly after the map release that fixed this is cool, I would have definately made these changes in the next releaase( hopefully the final). Ive played both versions and the 85v76 seems more balanced as well as hisorically accurate. However I would appreciate the chance to finish the map before anymore modifications are made.

There are also a number of issues caused by the first TWI update (my fault) that NEED to be sorted as there are version errors. There are also the bridges to fix, and some other stuff.

PS

Ill be posting some of the photos etc from china for any one who wants a look. Its crazy here, and the internet is unreliable due to the "Great Firewall In The Sky".

Upvote 0
China is great fun - watch out for BBC-world news reports being unceremoniously pulled from the airwaves at the first mention of the words Taiwan, Falun Gong, democracy or Tibet.

They actually blocked the report in mid-sentence last time I was in Beijing. "And coming live from Hong Kong with a report on the pro-democ...... ssssssssssssssss (static)"

Amazing!

Food is great though - and I definitely wanna see ur pictures.

Upvote 0
Slashbot_427 said:
Well the reaction to my map has been great. Thanks to all the admins who have stuck it on their servers, and for all the great feedback- now I know what needs to be fixed.
There obviously were some errors with the tank load-out, the germs needed more firepower and the soviets shouldn't have had the T34-85. The version of Orel that came out shortly after the map release that fixed this is cool, I would have definately made these changes in the next releaase( hopefully the final). Ive played both versions and the 85v76 seems more balanced as well as hisorically accurate. However I would appreciate the chance to finish the map before anymore modifications are made.
There are also a number of issues caused by the first TWI update (my fault) that NEED to be sorted as there are version errors. There are also the bridges to fix, and some other stuff.
PS
Ill be posting some of the photos etc from china for any one who wants a look. Its crazy here, and the internet is unreliable due to the "Great Firewall In The Sky".

sounds great man. yes, your map has been a serious success!! see you when you get back. glad you like the 88vs76 version. I have been pimping it as much as possible. :D

just so you know, in case you could not see any in-game info while you were gone, for the past few weekends there have been four or five full 32-man servers running one version or the other of Orel.

Congrats!!!

Upvote 0
Slashbot_427 said:

PS

Thanks for the awesome map. :) Glad to hear you like the 88v76 version. Both versions seem incredibly popular.

Don't know if you've seen the other threads, but one suggestion I'd have is to flip the starting spawns. Start both teams at the South Lake/North Village. When someone takes control of all of the heights (and ruins) or the villages themselves, force the other team back to the current starting spawn. This will help concentrate the action (though there's still PLENTY of room to maneuver) and let people get back into the mix a bit faster and eliminate the feeling of "are we there yet?"

Still, this is one hell of a beta version!! I'm looking forward to future versions. :D

Upvote 0
I've been playing RO for about 2 months and this is one of my favorite custom maps. People always complain "OMG this is so big, it's so boring!" Well I love the long tank drives and chatting with other players. When you do come upon a battle, things really get intense because your fighting to survive. This map requires a lot of strategy and that is the best part.

Awesome map, thanks for making it!!! :)

Upvote 0
Solo4114 said:
Especially if you use the incremental throttle. Set the throttle, point your tank in the right direction, and commence chat spam!

EVen better if you're the commander and chatting with other commanders while your drivers are slaving away at the keyboard ;)

Seriously Slashdot, your map has caused a major shift in RO Tank Combat Tactics. Few mappers can say that their creation changed the gameplay of the whole game, but yours does. Kudos.

Upvote 0
Helmut_AUT said:
EVen better if you're the commander and chatting with other commanders while your drivers are slaving away at the keyboard ;)

Seriously Slashdot, your map has caused a major shift in RO Tank Combat Tactics. Few mappers can say that their creation changed the gameplay of the whole game, but yours does. Kudos.

you are correct there man. I even see/hear/sense some jealousy in that regard. even some of the "higher ups". very interesting. PM me if you want the whole story. ;)

Upvote 0
Great thing with the Chat Spaming is that this map gives you enough time to workout team tactics with your fellow team mates before you engage.

My Fav map for tanking and one that results in much calmer playing unlike some of the funnel of death Inf only maps that raise my blood to boiling levels :)

Kudos and I am greatly looking forward to the finished version.

Upvote 0
ya its a great map, really gives you the real life feeling of having freedom of movement to flank and attack from the rear, have to troll for a while to get into position and get the good shots off. great fun.

My only suggestion, and this is a nitpick (I also bet someone else has said it but I'm not really 4 pages of post) but your terrain is very flat, to the point it can look unnatural. It was the first thing I noticed, adding some gental curves to the terrain would really help it look alot more polished.

Upvote 0
Heinz said:
you are correct there man. I even see/hear/sense some jealousy in that regard. even some of the "higher ups". very interesting. PM me if you want the whole story. ;)

Hmm, I'd be interested in hearing this story as well since I am the main "higher up". All the devs here are very happy when custom maps come out that poeple like. It helps extend the life of the game we created, and helps create even more divergent gameplay.

Upvote 0
also another suggest that might help focus some of the battles and reduce the loan wolfs capping your rear bases. If you grouped two rear bases for each team (like that ones they start with), once each team has those capped they can move onto getting the 3 center bases, once the center bases are capped they can they try and cap the other teams rear bases. Or once you have two of the three center bases capped the other rear ones open up.

Upvote 0