• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design mapping team anyone?

butcher1

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2006
in a house
i was thinking since some of us like to make maps why not make a mapping team that can build maps. I mean there are certain thing each of us are good at so why not work on a single map implementing our skills into it. if anyone is up to it i am certainlly up to it. maybe a mod team can arise from this who knows.

the solution

the solution

I think we can give specific jobs to ppl. i for one hate to do terrain but love to make buildings and the architecture.
we can break the team up in different sectors, for instance, ppl that want to get involved but have limited computer memory to make a map can dig up research of the landscape, architecture and battles we can recreate. people that dont like to compromise are perfect for the job of making the terrain. all this ofcourse with some degree of acuracy.

Upvote 0
Ok, let's try this and see how far it goes.

Proposal: 1st Team Mapping Project

This is a call for people interesting in participating in the 1st Team Mapping Project. The goal will be to produce a retail quality map for Red Orchestra: Ostfront '41-45.

Basic ground rules:
- Your participation in this project is up to you. You can be a major force or limit your contribution to small, focused areas.
- Whatever your level of contribution, we need people who are dependable.
- This will be a self-organized team. There will be no designated "leader" positions. Primary responsibility for certain tasks will be set on an as-required basis. If you want to be a part of this, step up and volunteer.
- While we all like to do the sexy things (like carve out world subtraction cubes), we expect everyone to do their fair share of the less pleasant tasks as well.
- Lack of familiarity with level design and/or UnrealEd does not necessarily disqualify you from participating. I hope we can all learn something on this project.

If you can accept those simple guidelines then you're more than welcome to join up.

If you want to participate, post here. Include the following:

- Name (handles are cool, but I like to know names too)
- e-mail address
- What you're interested in contributing to the project.
- What you consider yourself good at, wrt level design.
- What you'd like to learn, wrt level design.

We will have need for:

- Level designers
- Texture artists
- Modellers
- People familiar with UnrealScript (otherwise known as the "gimmicks guys")

We'll also likely have a need for researchers, one or more core testers, and perhaps sound guys too. We'll be able to say better there when we decide on what the first project will be.

We'll let the sign up here go for this week. After that I'll contact the people interested to establish:
- Contact times
- Best method of communicating
- Design proposals for our project.

Hope to see some of you sign up.

Upvote 0
I'll start:

Name: Bruce Rennie
E-mail: [email protected]

What I'm interested in contributing:
- Organization
- Design
- Editor work
- Textures
- Modelling

Just started a new job so my ability to commit to large chunks of work is limited. I'm looking for smaller, piecemeal work. Don't mind doing the nasty work, either. I can handle organization and tracking unless someone else wants a crack at it.

What I consider myself good at:
- Fairly deep knowledge of UnrealEd
- Good understanding of RO map design concepts
- Good at terrain modelling
- I'd consider myself an intermediate texture artist and modeller, maybe a bit more advanced when it comes to environment models.
- Also good at objectives set up and botpathing.

What I'd like to learn on this project:
- Advanced texture stuff (shaders, etc)
- Alpha textures (never really done much there)
- Emitters (ditto).

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Name: Tobi Engel

- Design
- Some research
- Modelling
- Editor work
- Coding

- worked already with ROed ;) (Folbork)
- done my share of coding
- getting better at modelling

- we'll see :) for the moment i would really like to play around more with UScript that may include improving my stationary gun code (adding features) as well as creating other new stuff.
- oh yeah, map boundaries would be something i really have to learn

Upvote 0
Name: Steven Thewissen AKA DeV
E-mail: [email protected] (for both MSN and email)

- Design
- Research
- Editor work
- Textures

- Worked with ROEd/UnrealEd since 2.1.
- Starting modelling.
- Texturing, can make photorealistic textures.

- I'd love to learn scripting, doing a study of becoming a Software Engineer at the moment so I have some basic knowledge about coding stuff, just not in UEd.
- Like worluk said, making believable map borders.
- Getting some more experience on modelling (not 100% neccesary)

Upvote 0
Name:David Fletes

What am intrested in contributing:
- architectural moddeling
- detail work

Im currently a college student and wont be able to devote to much time once the fall semester starts, so i think this is perfect.

What i consider my self good at:
- fairly good at building desing(will get better with pics to base my work on)
- i can really detail a building
- i have a good understanding of UT editor

What id like to learn on this project:
- pro grade visuals
- texturing
- some scripting

Upvote 0
Name: Tony Gillham
E-Mail: [email protected]

Interested in contributing:
Conceptual work
Building design
'Dressing' buildings (furniture etc.)
Russian language content/realia
Research
Textures

What I want to gain from project:
Knowledge of events, emitters, triggers, movers

Available to work evenings and weekends (UK time)

BTW - I only want in if, afterwards, we are allowed to attach the tag '1337 mapper' to our name and swan around acting like we own the game and that the entire world owes us a favour for being so 1337 ;) :rolleyes:

Upvote 0