• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What really irks you about RO:Ost ?

This one guy on KO tonight. I dont mind being killed by grenades randomly tossed out a door just to see if someone is out there, what irks me, is I was slowly crawling up to the open garage door from petrol, from what is normally the direction russians come, I have a clear view of the hallway and no movement, suddenly a russian holding a grenade runs into view and disapears again my shot hitting the wall behind where he was, his grenade however explodes as it lands at my feet.

Short time later I am in the basement I close the door and set up about 30 meters back ready to plug whoever comes in, same story he runs in, tosses the grenade directly at my feet and it explodes right when it hits the ground.

Twice more he kills me with these miracle nade tosses, and once with an across the construction hall, out a door, through a window frame, through another one and into me, just as I hop up from having been prone, and crawled into this room. Thats what annoys me.

on the other hand clubbing a setup MG42 gunner in the face, with a ppsh makes up for all that.

Upvote 0
Probably that I don't get to play it enough with my Power Supply (I think) going bad, I crash in any game after about an hour, hopefully that will soon to be remedied.

Bummed that most of my clanmates don't like the game as much as me.

------------------------------------------

oh, as far as the game itself? Only a few things that I know can't be done because of game limitations such as having to pick up all my ammo when a weapon is shot out of my hands and maybe when you are hiding behind something and move too close to it, you accidently go on top of it.

All very minor stuff....

Upvote 0
oldslowguy said:
2. I was in a game the other day, the "commander" was calling people "idiots" and worse when they didn't play like he wanted, it got so bad I had to leave. It's a game, it should be fun !

Part of the fun is calling moron a moron (and explaining to him why he's a moron LOL :D )

Anyhow....

What "irks" me....

1.) Team stacking - absolutely, positively "irk" #1, and in 90% it's German team stacking. Some maps are downright unplayable unless teams are balanced, so it's either two rounds of stupid team deathmatch or change server. Developers, admins, do something to enforce team balance!

2.) Disappointing quality of the "third party maps" that started appearing here and there. I thought SDK will bring us more good maps to play on, and in fact it brought only some low quality maps, beta maps blah blah, - basically *limiting* the (already small) number of playable servers.

Before SDK I had like 10-15 servers to chose from at all times. After SDK, at least 5-6 servers run some beta maps, or crappy third party maps that I avoid, thus I paradoxically find number of servers being limited by new maps. Hopefully though, it will change, as some new maps promise to be high quality stuff.

I would like some "higher authority" (TW?) to give its approval to really good realistic maps so we can differentiate from "madmans playgrounds" as Makhno said the other day.

Oleg

Upvote 0
=GG= Mr Moe said:
Probably that I don't get to play it enough with my Power Supply (I think) going bad, I crash in any game after about an hour, hopefully that will soon to be remedied.
Sounds a bit weird... what kind of crashing are we talking about here? If the computer suddenly restarts, then it sounds like the power supply. It's pretty unusual for a failing power supply to work perfectly for an hour and then suddenly fail, however.

If it's a crash to desktop, then I'd look at other components first.

Upvote 0
Oh yes one more thing....

- Getting kicked for Arty and satchel TKs!!!! Satchel TKs - if they happen along with actual destruction of the objective - should actually be awarded as regular kills, if not more - because you killed a fool that didn't read his screen and doesn't know to play the game, thus promoting Darwinism & natural selection.

Same for arty TKs. As commander I always announce in TXT team chat "Arty strike grid G5 - CLEAR the area". If some moron gets killed NCO should be awarded points for his destruction, not kicked for TK.

Oleg

Upvote 0
Attacking on a hard map like Odessa, repeatedly clearing the apartments and calling for support then dieing outnumbered horrendously. The whole time spawning again and again, and seeing my whole team crawling around on their bellies pot shotting at the Germans from our spawn.

Same thing happens on basovka quite often as well.

No fault of the game, just a lot of people really don't know how to successfully play aggressively...

Upvote 0
I'll just list a bunch of things that really "irk" me in no order of importance:

I hate the b0rked tank damage. Grenades killing tanks, AT rifles penetrating far more than they could irl, panzerfaust damage b0rked, angle of impact being seemingly the one important factor affecting penetration.

I hate how mgs are mainly good for providing 5 easy points for other classes. The lack of accuracy, bullet penetration or effective suppression leaves them rather undesireable. I hate how vunerable they are deployed, how they can't duck when reloading or look around without undeploying. And I hate how the deploy system itself is rather picky, often not letting you deploy in ideal locations. I hate how you can't use the MG-42 hipped, and how the DP and MG-34 are pretty much unuseable hipped. I hate how the DP is better than the German MG's.

I hate how the bolt action rifles seem to account for the majority of kills, and how easy they are to use. I hate how I can pick a rifleman class and start finding an urban combat map suddenly easier.

I hate how smgs have insane recoil, making them totally useless beyond 10 metres if you happen to be standing. Hard to be dynamic assaulting when you're forced to be prone or resting the gun on something. I hate how the MP-40 is better than the Russian SMG's.

I hate how effective arty is at killing tanks. I hate how accurate and swift it is. I hate how easy it is to get kicked for TK's made with arty.

I hate how satchels are uber nukes that can kill an IS-2 that is literally 5 metres away. Not balanced, and certainly not realistic in the slightest. I hate how easy it is to TK people with it.

I hate how you don't get points for blowing objectives, yet at the same time you get a massive 5 points for giving an mg ammunition he almost certainly wont live long enough to use.

I hate how dominating the snipers are, and how easily they can be abused.

I hate how the bow mg is stabilised on tanks.

I hate how you can get "run over" by a vehicle moving at 3mph away from you.

I hate how you have to reload an AT shell before you can even think about switching to HE.

I hate how "auto-join" never seems to work correctly, leading to people stacking the teams without even realising it.

I hate how voice com often doesn't work unless you turn off hardware sound.

I hate how flawed the melee combat currently is. With bayonet stabs to the chest apparently not killing, and I hate how melee attacks apparently have a range of about 30cm.

That's all I can think of for now, though I'm sure many others will strike me later.

Upvote 0
Irks

Irks

Huge maps with 32 player limit with so many tanks. Maps like Arad are simply not fun for infantry as it stands. If you like infantry combat, you're really limited to 2-3 maps. I really love the mixed style of play but these maps need to accomodate more players. The tank to infantry player ratio should be about 1:10. With 64 players that comes out to 3-4 tanks per side.

I second the opinion on smg's as well. Virtually useless on all but 2 maps. I don't mind personally because I play with rifle most of the time but I've been stuck with the Ppsh on Arad a few time and Ugh! I'm better off hip shooting close range than trying to aim with sights.

The game feels so close to brilliance but somehow misses in subtle and infuriating ways, that irks me because I want to love it.

Upvote 0
I hate how you can get "run over" by a vehicle moving at 3mph away from you.

You obviously havn't played WW2ol, if you were trying to stick a bomb on a tank and he starts moving away at litterly one mile per hour and if you just touch the back of the tank with your pinky finger then you instantly die. One time a guy in a truck tried running me over so I ran and he smashed into a large rock and the truck bounced towards me a bit and lands right in front of me, and I still die.....yeah so don't complain about the tanks running you over please.

The thing that annoys me, is that sometimes grenades don't register. Yesterday I died to grenades a few times, and everytime I NEVER saw the grenade, even though from the sound of the explosion (i have 5.1 sound) it was right in front of me. I saw no grenade, heard no grenade landing sound, and saw NO smoke even though it was apparent it was in front of me. I even saw a guy run around the corner towards me with a grenade primed and ready to throw, I saw his arm swing, but no grenade....i shoot him and then boom I'm dead. I also hate how grenades that are on the other side of the building can still kill you. Also this one time I threw a german stick grenade at LEAST 40 feet and it rolled down into a crater, it blew up and I got the suicide message, perhaps this is because my computer told me it went there but the server thought differently? And last night I took out my russian nade and as soon as I pulled it back I started cooking it and I took about 4 steps and it blew up...the grenade blew up in just a little more than one second....since the fuses are random then I guess the odds of that happening are quite small.

Upvote 0
[5.SS]Strother said:
yeah so don't complain about the tanks running you over please.

Real logic there.. "this sucks in the game but you can't complain about it because this sucks even more in this other game you haven't played..."

And notice the thread said what irks you.. not what you like. If I didn't like the game I wouldn't be playing it or posting here.

Upvote 0