• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Il-2 thread

If you dont own IL2 your missing out on life. I have eveyr game theyve put out. I bought the original IL2 a week after it came out. The only flight sim I had played before was Combat Sim 1. You can imagine what an improvement it was. Hooked from the start. I just love one shotting people with my BF109s cannon, any that have a strong enough gun. Ground pounding in the IL2 is fun too. Does anyone have screens of that, I shoudl take some. Most of the people here seem to only dogfight. The ground missions are sorta fun too especially if you try to do it while under attack by some BFs or FW.

Upvote 0
csThor said:
It's a mix-up. There is one plane - the Bf 109 E-7/Z - which has a GM-1 injection set which will kill your engine if engaged below 6000m. The only other plane to use the GM-1 is the Ta 152 H-1 but it also has MW-50 which will be used below 6k and automatically switches over to GM-1 at 6k. :)
Ah, ok, that could be it.
I had been playing the Ta 152 missions quite excessively back then when it was new (I love this plane, just a bit underpowered in terms of firepower). :)

Upvote 0
Nothing known. According to the UbiZoo Mods the people in charge don't know anything and they seem to run into walls. Looks like Ubi is either encountering problems or they're still setting up some kind of "download only" business. My take is the latter.

@Helmi

Ta 152 lacks firepower ????????? :confused:

2x MG 151/20 and 1x Mk 108 are too little ?? I mean that's two 20mm cannons and a 30mm cannon which basically spits little handgrenades! :eek:

Upvote 0
GonzoX said:
Download only??

Please don't tell me they are also going the evil STEAM route?

Nah ... Sorry - I wasn' t clear. Ubisoft is known to be reluctant to even publish the three AddOns made by Maddox Games (Pe-2 "Peshka", Il-10 & Manchuria, 1946) since they don't expect incomes worth the publishing costs. But since the crowd at the UbiZoo has obviuously managed to get their attention the release seems to take place.

But! In my opinion Ubi isn't going to bother with a boxed release. I just can't see them doing it. IMO they'll go for a "Pay & Download" option for those addons since that one drastically cuts publishing costs for them.

Upvote 0
Hi
I have got a few questions.
First of all i need to buy IL-2 Forgotten Battles which is a stand-alone add-on for IL-2. Right?
Should I first buy the normal IL-2 or can I directly buy Forgotten Battles?
Another question:
If I buy the Gold Edition I get the two expansion packs (pacific fighters and ace expansion)?
Or do I just get IL-2 and Forgotten Battles if I buy the Gold Edition.
Im sorry for these dumb questions^^
But I'm a bit confused:confused:
and very interested in this game :D
I hope somebody can help me
Thank u and cheers

Upvote 0
Ok Il2 Forgotten battles is completely stand alone and almost like Il2 2. if you know what i mean. YOU DO NOT NEED il2 THE ORIGINAL.

Gold edition is Forgotten battles + ace exp + PFighters.

If your going to get this game get either Forgotten battles + ace exp + PFighters or the Gold edition. forget about the original il2 completely...

Upvote 0
Got this game.
First impression: wow!
Well to say the truth I'm the worsest pilot ever :D
I hope I'll get better.
But now I've got another question.
I found an add-on for IL-2 Forgotten Battles: Combat over Europe
Bought this one,too.
Does somebody know "Combat over Europe" or am I the only one?
Im asking because I think nobody mentioned this add-on before.

Cheers

Upvote 0
bromium said:
Got this game.
Does somebody know "Combat over Europe" or am I the only one?
Im asking because I think nobody mentioned this add-on before.
Prolly some PoS unofficial third-party "add-on" that only features some new maps and campaigns but no new planes or game features.

Usually, you can get that (plus new plane skins) for free on the net.

FB+AEP+PF is all you ever need.

csThor said:
@Helmi

Ta 152 lacks firepower ????????? :confused:

2x MG 151/20 and 1x Mk 108 are too little ?? I mean that's two 20mm cannons and a 30mm cannon which basically spits little handgrenades! :eek:
Compared to some FW-190 variants that have some eight guns, yes ;P

What I mean is even some 109's have more guns (not counting the Friedrich series).

The calibre itself may be less but I ususally prever lots of high-cadence guns (MGs) to some slow-spitting 30mm grenade guns.

Granted, I'm having fun blasting bombers out of the sky with one shot of the Me-262 and that 40mm (I think) AA gun but for the average dogfight I'm all for spitting out as much lead as possible.

Upvote 0
If I were you I'd keep my hands off "Combat over Europe". It's just a mission/campaign pack (and IMO not even a good one) for a lot of money. There are better unofficial AddOns such as "Ostfront" (dynamic campaigns for the Murmansk and Kurland maps - shameless punt as I was involved in making that one :D ), "The Last Days" (also dynamic campaigns), "Battle over Europe" (dynamic campaigns, the first unofficial AddOn) and some hand-made static of excellent quality - "Wings over Waves" and "Wings over Jungle" by pluswave (www.pluswave.de ). All of those AddOns are available at www.gogamer.com ...

For absolute beginners:

The current version is either "Pacific Fighters 4.04" (standalone) or "Il-2 Sturmovik : Forgotten Battles" + "Aces Expansion Pack" + "Pacific Fighters" patched to 4.04m (merged install). Most people have the merged install as it offers way more than just the PF install. However getting all parts can be tricky as especially AEP is hard to get nowadays. There is a complete version around, though, but I'm not sure how it's called (AFAIR "Il-2 Gold" contained FB and AEP - there is also a complete DVD with FB + AEP + PF on one disk, but AFAIR it's not on the shelves in the US).

@ Helmi

Spray & Pray noob :p ;)

Upvote 0
Okay.
I now have another problem :p
This may sound stupid as hell but I never played online with ubi.com .
So how can i actually join a multiplayer game? (did I mention that this sounds stupid?)
Oh and AEP isn't very hard to get....just buy the Gold Edition.
I have IL-2 FB and AEP but i can't find PF :(
I looked everywhere and now I think you can't buy PF in Germany.
That would be bad.

Cheers

Upvote 0