• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MG recoil - TW Please read

That is actually a good video Viersbovsky, just what I was looking for as it shows the targets.

The groups they are getting are not very good though. Some of the rounds were hitting ground in front of the targets and many rounds were missing the silhouette completely otherwise. I'd say this is a typical result and what I have been trying to tell people. Some gunners will be better than that, quite a lot better actually, and I think this would be nice to have with say level 40 machingunners in game. But I think I'd be in the same class as they are along with the majority of people which is quite representative to level 10 gunner in game. (I'm on that level, but I do not actually know how leveling system affects practical accuracy in game.)

Please also notice how still the gun is in the side view compared to some other videos we have seen. On youtube scale of things these guys are good in recoil management, or others just rubbish.

PKM and Type 98 were just bad another bad examples of youtube videos which really tell us nothing. That was all I was going to say with them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok leveling: You get benefits on different weapon handling factors like recoil, reloading speed, deplpoyment speed etc. You can look at those factors at the weapon progress part.Have a look.Accuracy is not listed, only recoil which is the main factor on accuracy at the moment.

I am curretnly Level 26 with MG34 and Level 28 with DP-28, still the MG34 jumping recoil is completely nuts.

Here is what i want you to do to get what i am saying because i am not sure if people actually get it.
It could be possible that 90% of the people just shoot short bursts and don t fight recoil but THEN the jumping recoil DOESN T KICK IN !!! Please try this:

1. Start the game.
2. Open the console and type: open te-apartments
3. Select the MG34 and deploy it on a wall.
4. Hold down the trigger and see the sights moving up EVENLY.
5. NOW do the same and try to fight the recoil.You will notive that the sights will JUMP UP AND DOWN NOW!!!!

It s the same with the DP-28 but stronger on the MG34

As soon as you try to fight the recoil the game screws you recoil controlling skill up !! There is nothing you can do about it except leveling.That sucks ! It s completely artifical.

That s why i want MG's to have a steady and even recoil on ALL LEVELS only the strength of the recoil should get reduced SLIGHTLY when leveling up.

There are enough other great factors why one should play MG and level it up like: deployment speed etc. There is no need to screw the recoil up THAT hard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There's a lot of difference between different LMGs. I've fired L4A4 (Bren gun chambered for 7.62mm NATO) and it didn't jump at all - it actually crawls forward when fired so if you don't hold it tightly it will start to shoot low. I was quite accurate with the Bren and also saw a 14 year old girl put 30 rounds out of it into a 20cm circle at (I think) 50m with no practice.

In the army I also fired the F89 (Australian version of the M249 Minimi). At 100m I was lucky to get even the first round of a 3-round burst into the target. The other 2 rounds were invariably into the sky and nowhere near the target at all. So different weapons behave quite differently for different shooters. For comparison, I was probably a slightly above average shot with the F88 (Australian version of the Steyr AUG assault rifle version). Just couldn't get the prone position right for the Minimi.

Upvote 0
That is very true. I absolutely love the Finnish KVKK-62 shooting 7.62x39 at 1000rpm. I'm not a star with it, but I do manage quite well. It's heavy and has good geometry so it is quite easy to control and shoot well. It is loads of fun to shoot and despite the rate of fire I can manage to group it pretty well.

On the other hand, I never made friends with the PKM (7.62x54R) and I thus absolutely suck with it. I don't know why, but it just goes everywhere.

Upvote 0
From what I've read in this topic, MG's could potentially be buffed without moving away from realistic gun behaviour. Which would be very welcome as the MG in a deployed position should strike much more fear into the enemy than it does now.

Though from a gameplay perspective, shooting non-supported should have significantly more disadvantages compared to what it's capable of now. The point is that the MG gunners should not be able to rambo around buildings the way they do now, but making them much more useful to perform the task they should be doing.

Upvote 0
watching all the whine videos about recoil I think our recoil is about right. mg32 was all over the place from a supported prone, same with the DP, mg42 mounted on the tripod jumped about 1/2" upwards and just stayed. get skill cry less, die moar.

from a gameplay perspective an mg gunner like myself owns on maps. It's just a matter of knowing how to shoot. All mg's no matter what army or doctrine are told to fire in short bursts. rock and roll is a good way to miss. try it sometime you kill really well when in short bursts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikeedude
Upvote 0
From what I've read in this topic, MG's could potentially be buffed without moving away from realistic gun behaviour. Which would be very welcome as the MG in a deployed position should strike much more fear into the enemy than it does now.

Though from a gameplay perspective, shooting non-supported should have significantly more disadvantages compared to what it's capable of now. The point is that the MG gunners should not be able to rambo around buildings the way they do now, but making them much more useful to perform the task they should be doing.

Don't let those ownage videos mislead you.MG's absoultely need the abilitly to kill reliable with hip shooting.It requires a lot of skill and still SMG'S and other classes have a lot of advantages, like speed, aiming down the sights... MG'S need this abilitly to be able to participate in the game on some maps and situations.

@ The Cook : Yes it is possible to kill and own with the recoil as it is at the moment, especially when having leveld up but the roleplaying mechanic behind it favours people who play more and takes aways the skill factor from the player.On longer distances it is needed to shoort VERY short bursts to really hit something, against enemys behind cover and on distance their is now way to hit reliable with burst shots (e.g. only a head popping out). You can't supress the target or put a stream of bullets at that position even at 100 meters.The jumping recoil makes it impossible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can't supress the target or put a stream of bullets at that position even at 100 meters.The jumping recoil makes it impossible.

Supression in real life is a very short burst every 1 to 2 seconds. That is it. That is also what IRL is called sustained fire. You can do it in the game.

In addition: I can keep the level 10 MG-34 on a man size target for the whole belt at distance of over 100m in game. Just pull back the mouse evenly and it stays there. Recoil will jump the gun around a bit, but do not mind about that just pull slowly and evenly down.

Upvote 0
Don't let those ownage videos mislead you.MG's absoultely need the abilitly to kill reliable with hip shooting.It requires a lot of skill and still SMG'S and other classes have a lot of advantages, like speed, aiming down the sights... MG'S need this abilitly to be able to participate in the game on some maps and situations.

@ The Cook : Yes it is possible to kill and own with the recoil as it is at the moment, especially when having leveld up but the roleplaying mechanic behind it favours people who play more and takes aways the skill factor from the player.On longer distances it is needed to shoort VERY short bursts to really hit something, against enemys behind cover and on distance their is now way to hit reliable with burst shots (e.g. only a head popping out). You can't supress the target or put a stream of bullets at that position even at 100 meters.The jumping recoil makes it impossible.

yes short 3/4 rnd bursts what you are asking for is COD/BF2 style mg recoil. sorry buddy, but MG recoil is perfectly fine as it is now and I have no problem gunning down running or hiding enemies at 150-200m in this game. What is wrong is not the game, but your lack of skill. Also as for the hip firing I have no problem with it so long as it is ADS activated. as it is now with it's run and gun firing it's bs. click ads to activate hipfire, deal with being a slow douche firing a machinegun. The recoil on an mg doesn't really allow you to walk normally and fire. It's best done while in a braced standing position.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jippofin
Upvote 0
That guy shoots with one hand and the buttstock not pressed against his shoulder. Not a good way to show proper recoil...

I would suggest to rather look at the impacts, because as said, the way the gun moves can be deceiving.
Here is a video of the Bren and Bar at 90 meters, look at that tight groupings...
Pratical Accuray of Bren Gun and Browning Automatic Rifle BAR - YouTube

But yeah, this is youtube warfare at its finest. Just wanted to throw that in. As I cannot play the game properly right now, I can

Upvote 0
The PKM has never been a very accurate MG either though, so that most likely has something to do with it.

I'd really like to use that line, but the fact is I suck and others do not. The gun itself is superb.

From 3:42 min onwards you see how accurate machine guns really are, the groups are upper torso sized at 90 meters (100 y), and vertical spread during all rounds is very small. That's a lot different from ingame, where vertical spread is way too excessive until you reach lvl 40+.

This is from an earlier post:

Go to Spartanovka church. There is an opening in the wall on in the middle of the wall facing the city hall. Go prone in that opening and fire using the round centerpiece of the copper colored relief on top of the secondary entrance of the city hall (right next to the main entrance on the left side). I can keep my shots 95% on the area between the center piece and top of the copper arc. That is about what I can do in the real life (less than torso size). Alternatively I can empty a drum mag in emergency fire (continuos automatic fire) and keep the sights on the small chimneys on either side of the dome (about man size?) (I'm a level 9 [not good] MG-gunner with the MG34, so managing recoil will become even easier with added in game levels.)

Upvote 0
This is from an earlier post:

Originally Posted by Jippofin
Go to Spartanovka church. There is an opening in the wall on in the middle of the wall facing the city hall. Go prone in that opening and fire using the round centerpiece of the copper colored relief on top of the secondary entrance of the city hall (right next to the main entrance on the left side). I can keep my shots 95% on the area between the center piece and top of the copper arc. That is about what I can do in the real life (less than torso size). Alternatively I can empty a drum mag in emergency fire (continuos automatic fire) and keep the sights on the small chimneys on either side of the dome (about man size?) (I'm a level 9 [not good] MG-gunner with the MG34, so managing recoil will become even easier with added in game levels.)

At 100 meters ingame, at lvl 9? No way Jos

Upvote 0
Have you tried it yourself? Have you done the Spartanovka test?

Jippo, I have the MG34 at lvl 50 ingame, and it is still hard as heck trying to keep your stream of bullets within a torso sized area at 100 meters ingame. Keep in mind how small an area that is looking through the sights. With the amount of muzzle climb we have ingame with the MGs atm it is simply not possible to replicate the real life performance of these weapons, which we see at 3:42 min in the practical accuracy video.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jippo, I have the MG34 at lvl 50 ingame, and it is still hard as heck trying to keep your stream of bullets within a torso sized area at 100 meters ingame. Keep in mind how small an area that is looking through the sights. With the amount of muzzle climb we have ingame with the MGs atm it is simply not possible to replicate the real life performance of these weapons, which we see at 3:42 min in the practical accuracy video.

You should really do the test before complaining. Try it yourself, concentrate on it and it isn't even very difficult. You are on level 50 so it should be even easier.

I can get better results in game than the guys in the video.

Upvote 0
You should really do the test before complaining. Try it yourself, concentrate on it and it isn't even very difficult. You are on level 50 so it should be even easier.

I can get better results in game than the guys in the video.

I mostly use the MG so I am quite aware of how it works. And at 100 meters ingame you will not be able to produce groups with as little vertical dispersion as in the video above, I've tried, many times. You can probably approach it with a lot of effort, but it takes way too much effort to keep the sights from rising, whilst in reality muzzle rise is almost non-existant with MGs in the prone position.

If you claim you can do better ingame than the guys in the video, then by all means prove it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0