• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Fall_TriggerPack_V2

Falidell

Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2009
Mesa,Az,USA
This is a new thread continued over from the first TriggerPack. as i continue on the pack ill be updating this thread to keep you in the loop. eventually ill turn this First Post into a List of Triggers, their descriptions, how to use em, etc. but im still working out the bugs and stuff and renaming/changing/adding variables so it would just be a wait of time to do them all right now. for now ill add placeholders for the triggers along with basic descriptions.

Warning there is a lot of triggers and crap... and a lot of them arn't even listed... the pack has gotten pretty big....
Spoiler!

Last edited:
Reactions: RoBoT
the Item Spawner is simply a trigger that spawns stuff when triggered items do not respawn after being picked up. Nor do already spawned items Despawn if triggered again...

-you can choose as many items you want and you can even spawn ammoBoxes(use the FA_AmmoPickup; KFAmmoPickup WILL NOT WORK). this item spawner will decided which single item to spawn based on supplied weights you supply.

it's very simple =)

Trigger->ItemSpawner spawns random item from LD Defined list.
ItemSpawner.jpg

don't worry you don't have to type the classes in it has a dropdown list

with the triggerpack you can have the itemspawners choosen based on difficulty which makes ballancing drops for missionmaps and such easier... you can even tack on a playerCount Conditional for ammo spawning ItemSpawners.. yay no excesive amount of ammo for 3 players and no more 60 plus players not having enough ammo =D

AutoTrigger->FA_Con_GameDif->severalRelays(each for a certain Dif)->the itemspawners

Last edited:
Reactions: RoBoT
Upvote 0
okidoky =)
anyways update on work.

-i found a problem with the fa_Shooter, that option i added to have the ability to make it a shotgun made the fireSound sound off multipletimes at the sametime... we don't want to overlap this... so i fixed this

-i found yet another problem... this time with the FA_forceRespawner.. basically i forgot to remove something that checks if the pawn/controller is actually what we wanted to respawn in a certain section. so it caused youre pawn to disapear but you'd be.... well dead... thats fixed so now it'll actually give you a pawn again and put you in it.... also im brainstorming some sort of way to send items from the old pawns to the new pawns.. so that way if you get respawned and you had a shotgun, scar, what-have-you, then you will get shotgun, scar, what-have-you in the new pawn. that is for the living players it shouldn't do this with the dead.... as i said im brainstorming...

-i found it necessary to create a stand alone critter spawner... for certain situations.... it's a subclass of the FA_SpawnPoint. it's called FA_Spawnpoint_StandAlone when triggered it'll spawn a single critter of your choice. im also working on a group spawner..... it's surprisingly difficult to make a group spawner... figured out 7 different ways how not to make a group spawner.... running out of ideas.. imma see how the zombie volumes do it..

-also after more experimentation with the FA_Spawner and i figured out the real reason why sometimes it'll stop spawning things... has to do with groups being killed at the same time... say 3 die at the same time it makes it turn into RandRange(1,3) lol so im implementing an automated audit for the spawner that runs each time the spawner supposedly gets to it's maxActive.. i choose then instead of everytime it spawns something because im all for performance.... besides it doesn't have to be 100% accurate all the time it just has to be 100% accurate at the point of MaxActive...lol i was wrong... i implimented the what i dubed Audit and included logs Computedvsactual.... i found that whenever the FA_SpawnPoint Accessed none the Computed would be 5 but the actual would be 4 so the real problem i hope is that the Spawn Failed because the computer is stupid and can't do what i tell it to do LOL

-hmmmm lets see hear... oh yea and i confirmed that the FA_ForceRespawner check area and other areas work =) you'll see on the next release of the Expiremental test map.... thingy.... i'm currently adding rooms to the sides for each trigger showing functionality and how it works for you LD's.. think of it as my constantly updated ShowCase Map

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've noticed that FA_ForceRespawner sometimes makes you spawn in behindview. In fact I've heard about this happening even with regular TriggeredPlayerstarts, so it may not have anything to do with your actor.

Is there any way you can make sure this doesn't happen with FA_ForceRespawner ?

Upvote 0
sure why not, i just have to figure out how to force firstperson mode lol

i think i found a solution........ not sure no real way to test it except impliment the Theory and hope it works........ to be honest i have NEVER once in my KF Career ever spawned/respawned start/ended whathave you in 3rd person/behind view ...... it strange... it's never happened to me, and i've been playing sense Day 1 after the Release Was "What!" LAte........ by i think it was 4 hours ugh Tormenting i had work the next day and i stayed up so i can download and play the game....... needless to say i had literally 0 sleep when i went into work.....a double no less...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • ok so i filled in the first few triggers variables and such... take a peak....
  • i've also figured out im a dummy and found a way to actually get the AutoTrigger to work as i origonally intended... reliably =)
  • i think i found where the behindview variables are from and how to manipulate them.... Stupid xPlayer.........so yea making progress in that..
  • im almost done with testing/fixing everything, Expect Beta pretty soon.....after Beta there will be no more additions just bug fixing and such...
  • i actually fixed that friggin FA_Spawner now lol.... oh big problems being fixed by a simply if(blah!=None) conditions lol
  • umm yea one other thing i've been working on the testbox/showcase level.. atm im working on making a puzzle using the Condtionals, TriggeredLights, and MessageTriggers... nothing crazy just a simple one lol...
  • found a problem with the delays for the relay....the delays are far to unreliable... they work fine in the smaller tests but for my testbox..point being i tried to make a workaround or something but couldn't so it forced me to remove delays from the FA_relayPlus until i find another way.... =(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
alrighty here is work in progress on that test map and triggers..

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20840125/kf-Triggerpack-Fall3.zip

as i said it's work in progress, i just wanted to show you what i have done so far... it not much i know but hey you also get a peaky weeky on the alpha version of the triggerpack... i think i have the onlineviewshaker working.... it's not in the map but it's in the triggerpack... if someone wishes to test it out for me online i'd be very grateful =D

i've ironed out the kinks in
  • Fa_Shooter
  • FA_itemSpawner
  • FA_Multi_Conditional
  • FA_Switch(and the subclasses)
  • FA_ForceRespawner(tho i still need to impliment my thoery to stop the 3rd person mode that randomly occurs)
  • FA_Counter
  • FA_StoryLines
  • FA_Relay_Plus(tho i still want to find a way to reimpliment a reliable method for Delays that act indepentently)
  • FA_LoopTrigger(And the Conditional)
  • FA_Con_PawnsInArea
  • FA_Con_WaveNum
  • FA_Spawner(not is this WIP Release, but i just Fixed it so MaxActive is Accurate 100% of the time)

Edit: i shoulda used a test map/showcase map to test my triggered in the first triggerpack im fixing things everywhere even on thing i had origionally thought worked 100% from the first triggerpack and remained unchanged

Last edited:
Upvote 0
News:

i've updated the Conditionals:

- you can now have a switch or anything be used by as many multi-conditionals as you want.

-and i've changed the code so that if you make conditional stacks to create sort of functions/specifics whatever you no longer have to trigger the non-automated cons the Compaircons will do that for you via a sort of pulse EDIT: Though whatever you have the TOP must be a Compair Conditional
ConStack.jpg

now thats a very basic conditional stack.. it only uses Switches and ComPairConditional and they only use the AND logic wich a multiconditional could do the same thing.... it was just for simply demonstrating it....but you can put ANY of the FA series conditionals into the stack and it'll pulse through the entire stack to see if the Top should fire the True event..... and all you have to do it Trigger the Top lol
you can create some nice logics....

if(Player is in area && player is in that area)
{
if(switch A is enabled OR Switch B is Enabled)
{
if(Wave diff is blah BUT Wave count is Not Past blah)
do something;
}
}

for you coders that translates to
if( (A && B ) && (C || D) && ( Diff>blah && Wave<blah) )
{
do something;
}

make full use of the True/False events all the cons and hell you can create your own gametype with triggers LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0
another news feed....

-im improving the PulseCons that i stated above to make ur..... functions lets call themm.... so that way multi-conditionals will continue the pulse aswell instead of just ending the threaded pulse..... if that makes sense... it does to me.. point is i want the multi-conditional to be used as TOP as well....

- i require a list of projectiles to make for you peoples.... what do you want exactly..... be descriptive and creative if you wish.... and ill see what i can and can not do and then make them...... we'll create an FA_projectile set embedded within the FAll_triggerpack_v2

- also im working with Fel to create some Custom Ai guys and spawners. shouldn't be too hard.... Fel Requested it and discribed it and i rather enjoy the idea... options like weapons..... Friendly to specimens friendly to humans... or hate both or whatever.... combat style.... defend spots....( i found a piece of Controlly Ai code i will be taking advantage of)
almost done with the base work.... makeing it so you can kill them control their flashlights via a specialized Bot Control volume that when the bot touches it toggles flashlights...switchweapons......assume defensive/attacking positions stuff like that... almost done with base work..... then will be the fun stuff.... should take too long...

- ummmm yea i think thats it

EDIT: Did you guys want to play around with the beta version of the triggerpack... i don't think i'll be changing around the names or functionality of what there so far....and as far as i can tell most everything works .....

Last edited:
Upvote 0