• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Some of the weapon sounds have to be worked over

hmm, couldnt believe, that some of the weaponsounds suck so heavylie in reality. If it is like that, I would change nothing, but the mp40 soudn I have is as far as I know original too and it sounds much better than in RO2. strange.

They could make them totally realistic and at a realistic volume , but after 15 minutes of play you would need a hearing aid!

Some common sense will tell you why the sounds are quieter.

Upvote 0
Omg wth! I thought this LMG is great reliable weapon, not like that. If this happened on the battlefield.. well these guys would be already dead.

Hehe, keep in mind that he's shooting a 70 year old weapon, which might or might not be in the best of condition, could have a dull firing pin, or maybe the ammunition was bad etc... I know some of the old turkish 8mm surplus out there sometimes have dud primers.

Upvote 0
10 percent disability from the VA for tinnitus, oh yeah its bad :) and impossible to not have from any amount of combat, ever been manning a Mark-19 with no hearing pro?heh,

but they do sound good to me, especially the rifles, the sound when your firing the weapon and observing them are different,

M16A4's all that stands out is the sound of the recoil spring in the buffertube, and the bolt locking back into its lug at then end, its pretty nifty to be able to HEAR a malfunction

i do REALLY hope that was relaxed realism in that video though :|

Upvote 0
Jeez, the most obvious reason why games and movies never employ fully realistic sound is because you can't hear through the whizz and bangs!

Band of Brothers had the most realistic sound when the bullet lands near you.

Saving Private Ryan or Enemy on the Gates on the other hand, features semi-realistic, because you have to tone down the gun shots (Blanks are ALOT louder than real bullets but needed at some point) so you can hear things like environment, music and especially dialogues! These dialogues are not recorded on the field, they are ADR afterwards because it'll be insane to try to record voices when there are mixture of blanks and real bullets flying around, plus the safety issues.

So I don't see why people still think it sounds unrealistic, if it is, then watch news footages where those are usually unedited live sounds recorded on the field. You can barely hear through the reporter talking when actual bullets came by.

Upvote 0
The weapon sounds were indeed recorded with a (very) professional crew, using the actual weapons, firing full rounds, with 5 mics each time. Separate foley recordings on each weapon. We'll release some of the vids we took to show you sometime. If something like the MP40 sounds like it rattles - that is because it rattles in real life!

What about the tanks? They seem rather quiet...

Upvote 0
10 percent disability from the VA for tinnitus, oh yeah its bad :) and impossible to not have from any amount of combat, ever been manning a Mark-19 with no hearing pro?heh,

but they do sound good to me, especially the rifles, the sound when your firing the weapon and observing them are different,

M16A4's all that stands out is the sound of the recoil spring in the buffertube, and the bolt locking back into its lug at then end, its pretty nifty to be able to HEAR a malfunction

i do REALLY hope that was relaxed realism in that video though :|

That part about the M16 made me laugh. I remember how weird it was when I qualified with it, the loudest thing I heard was the friggin buffer going BOING!

As a side note, I have had hearing loss and tinnitus for the last 8 years and I also can attest to how much it sucks. Having a high pitched ringing in your ears 24/7 can be maddening. I remember when I first got it I couldn't focus on anything. Over time I got used to it but it still is no fun.

Upvote 0
I don't think we can really judge the quality of the sound based on all the youtube videos etc online. After all they are all very heavily compressed compared to what the sounds will be playing the game on your own system, with your own sound car and speakers/headphones. Less dynamic range, poor resolution, etc, my advice would be just to wait and see what the sounds are like when you play the beta or the released game.

Upvote 0
Guns sound great in RO2 as far as I've heard.

You have to factor in stuff like dynamic range when thinking about sounds. A regular gaming set can't handle that great of a dynamic range, whilst the human ear can do it by some nifty genetic algorithms.

The problem with sound reproduction is comparable to the problem of HDR lighting. A screen simply can't reproduce the full dynamic range of lighting, so API developers worked out HDR that makes the dynamic range _appear_ to be greater than it actually is (if you walk out from a dark cellar into bright sunlight in a game the whole dynamic range usually moves way up, so that dark part loses detail while brighter parts gets more detail. This is kind of similar to how the human eye functions).
I'm not that well versed in sounds APIs, but I don't think there's a really good 3D HDR API available yet. But just think of how cool a true hardware accelerated 3D audio engine would be, utilizing the 3D data fed into directX for example. That'd mean developers could just record a weapon in a silent environment, and let the API handle all the complex stuff with bouncing soundwaves, material dampening, dynamic sound ranges (prob. using compression), interference points and all that good stuff.

Upvote 0
Recording Battlefield 3 audio at a firing range - YouTube

Interesting video comparison about recording weapon sounds with different microphones. Different equipment gives you different sound.

Even the professional equipment varies in result. Some mics are just too sensitive to handle the pressure from a gun. I guess you'll just have to choose the one that represents the sound as you would perceive it on the range.

Upvote 0
I'm not that well versed in sounds APIs, but I don't think there's a really good 3D HDR API available yet. But just think of how cool a true hardware accelerated 3D audio engine would be, utilizing the 3D data fed into directX for example. That'd mean developers could just record a weapon in a silent environment, and let the API handle all the complex stuff with bouncing soundwaves, material dampening, dynamic sound ranges (prob. using compression), interference points and all that good stuff.

That would just eat processing power if every sound had to be calculated in realtime. Most game engines already use a pre-calculated method of filtering sounds. For instance in an indoor level each room can have a preset amount of reverb and pass filtering for any sound originating from it which generally works out okay. This is nothing new, it's been around for over a decade now. I believe Half-Life was the first FPS game that did such a thing.

Upvote 0
Interesting video comparison about recording weapon sounds with different microphones. Different equipment gives you different sound.

Even the professional equipment varies in result. Some mics are just too sensitive to handle the pressure from a gun. I guess you'll just have to choose the one that represents the sound as you would perceive it on the range.

Thank you very much for the link.
It was quite interesting to see what kind of setup they used and how it sounded.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

That's very interesting - really illustrates the differences. Might have our guys do something similar!

Upvote 0
That would just eat processing power if every sound had to be calculated in realtime. Most game engines already use a pre-calculated method of filtering sounds. For instance in an indoor level each room can have a preset amount of reverb and pass filtering for any sound originating from it which generally works out okay. This is nothing new, it's been around for over a decade now. I believe Half-Life was the first FPS game that did such a thing.

Yeah it would it tremendous amounts of processing power. That's why you'd need that hardware acceleration that I mentioned :)

Half-Life (and oh so many more) used DirectX audio API, which at the time was outshined by Creatives EAX API. Both of these made a few audio processing effects available in realtime, which sounds ok at first but if you're an audiophile you start to get tired of hearing the same static reverbs used over and over again.

Upvote 0
The weapon sounds were indeed recorded with a (very) professional crew, using the actual weapons, firing full rounds, with 5 mics each time. Separate foley recordings on each weapon. We'll release some of the vids we took to show you sometime. If something like the MP40 sounds like it rattles - that is because it rattles in real life!
Amazing work :) cant wait for the videos.

Upvote 0
I have yet to play the new game but from the various preview videos, it seems TWI have got the sounds down to near perfection, and they were already great in RO1.

They do seem a little muted however, and I am still not convinced with all of the firing characteristics of the guns, especially the PPSh, I don't feel it is violent enough as it is IRL. And the Mauser shot report is too "dry" for lack of a better word. The Mauser definitely has a more aggressive, pronounced and metallic firing sound.

Upvote 0