• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bolt action balance

Rumo made a good point about picking up weapons from the dead.

During Stalingrad, the Germans were always salvaging PPSh and swap it over the rifles for obvious reasons. I guess that probably solves the problem if classes lack SMGs because if you're good enough to knock the target out with a rifle, you probably good enough to survive Stalingrad.

Upvote 0
Its not so much that the smsg is overpowered. It's definitely the sprint, as I've said before. The weapon is ready to fire almost instantly after sprinting.
Were this to take longer, the SMG would be equally realistically powerfull, but people will think twice before ramboing around a corner.

The sprint is now more realistic. RO's was like a geriatric with Emphysema. SMG's are designed for assaulting/CQB, what's the problem? It should be quick and easy to pull a short, light SMG up to fire.

By the sound of your post you want the " clunkyness " of RO over all the improvements. Thankfully you won't be getting it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The sprint is now more realistic. RO's was like a geriatric with Emphysema. SMG's are designed for assaulting/CQB, what's the problem? It should be quick and easy to pull a short, light SMG up to fire.

By the sound of your post you want the " clunkyness " of RO over all the improvements. Thankfully you won't be getting it.

SMGs are much heavier and clunkier than rifles.

I agree with Maizel that the instant ready after sprint is a WTF moment inducer. Go play DOD:S with lots of sprinting W+MOUSE1-ing assaults, you'll notice they start shooting while the weapon is at their sides carried in one hand -- partly due to the netcode but mainly because there's no delay.

Seriously, I can see why the devs are pandering to the COD kiddies. Fair enough. But if that is so, might as well give riflemen very quick -- almost instant -- ironsighting, owing to rifles being lighter and easier to wield. That's a COD feature I wouldn't mind included to balance out the no-delay sprint-shoot.

Upvote 0
Hmmm, doesn't it give an disadvantage to those who manually do it

Actually Spindle, if bolting your rifle is like RO1, then believe it or not - manual botling actually gives the advantage!

Explanation: When you bolt your rifle, you cannot sprint while doing so. So if you are an auto bolter, you have no choice but to have your movement impaired for a second while you do so.

Doesn't sound like much, but can easily be the difference between life and death.

Likewise, you couldn't initiate a melee attack whilst bolting your rifle. So if you just fired a shot, only to have someone storm the room with their bayonet pointing at your eye, your only hope would be if they somehow screw up while your bolting your gun.

A manual bolter could both maintain his mobility until he was ready to work the bolt and melee attack if need be.

Of course, they could have changed this in RO2, but if they haven't, then the advantage goes to the manual bolter.

Also, just a personal note - I get a sense of satisfaction manually working the bolt. Especially if you've just shot someone a peach.

Upvote 0
Have you played RO1? If you have you know there's an extremely high chance of death when picking up a weapon ;).

Also there's a negative aspect to it as well apparently from what I've read (slower, stamina comes back less quickly etc.). Hopefully it's a significant difference.
Yep, I have played RO:Ost. :rolleyes:

But did you watched the video from OhmWrecker?
Take a look and then tell me all that again. ;)

Whether picking up nor the negative sides of having two primary weapons are (or were back then) really a big concern as it seems.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Seriously, is that what you got from what I say? Either you totally misread, or you just don;t get what I mean.

I don;t want clunkyness, I just don't guns to be instantly ready to fire again after a sprint,

Upvote 0
SMGs are much heavier and clunkier than rifles.

I agree with Maizel that the instant ready after sprint is a WTF moment inducer. Go play DOD:S with lots of sprinting W+MOUSE1-ing assaults, you'll notice they start shooting while the weapon is at their sides carried in one hand -- partly due to the netcode but mainly because there's no delay.

Seriously, I can see why the devs are pandering to the COD kiddies. Fair enough. But if that is so, might as well give riflemen very quick -- almost instant -- ironsighting, owing to rifles being lighter and easier to wield. That's a COD feature I wouldn't mind included to balance out the no-delay sprint-shoot.

Seriously are you feeling ok? Why do you think paras were issued stens? Because they were too heavy?

Lighter, shorter barrel so easier to move around in tight spaces, little need to aim at close range, and multiple rapid follow up shots. They are not clunkier and/or heavier than rifles :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Stahlgeist
Upvote 0
Seriously are you feeling ok? Why do you think paras were issued stens? Because they were too heavy?

Please, go check the videos.

And note how soldiers are actually carryiing their guns while sprinting, and how fast they are ready to fire again. They hold the weapons by the body with one hand, but after a sprint they instantly are holding it with 2 hands with the finger on the trigger.

Even bringing a weapon up from a standing position wouldn;t be that fast.

I am aware that nothing that I say will get through your skull, but You should humor me and watch the vids. But I wouldn't be surprised if you did not see what I was talking about. Selective blindness is common amongst forum goers.

Well I got some whine, as in most of your posts :)
You are so hostile and disrespectful. Nothing I have said (up to this point at least), warrants this kind of response.

But whatever man, I'm not in the mood to trade blows with a 13 year old (mentally in anycase) fanboy. Go ask your mommy to teach you some manners. Little brat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is the first I've heard of being able to carry two primary weapons, all I can say is, "Oh dear" - don't like the sound of that, either way, close quaters, or open ground - my rifle will always remain my best friend : D

LOL so you couldn't sling a rifle over your back and pick up an SMG or vice versa?

What's not to like?

If you carry two weapons you will be slower, there isn't a problem except the one you are imagining :)

Upvote 0
Please, go check the videos.

And note how soldiers are actually carryiing their guns while sprinting, and how fast they are ready to fire again. They hold the weapons by the body with one hand, but after a sprint they instantly are holding it with 2 hands with the finger on the trigger.

Even bringing a weapon up from a standing position wouldn;t be that fast.

I am aware that nothing that I say will get through your skull, but You should humor me and watch the vids. But I wouldn't be surprised if you did not see what I was talking about. Selective blindness is common amongst forum goers.

You are so hostile and disrespectful. Nothing I have said (up to this point at least), warrants this kind of response.

But whatever man, I'm not in the mood to trade blows with a 13 year old (mentally in anycase) fanboy. Go ask your mommy to teach you some manners. Little brat.

I see, so because I don't share your paranoia you call me a little brat?

What a nice chap :)

Upvote 0
I see, so because I don't share your paranoia you call me a little brat?

What a nice chap :)
I'll get drawn in again

Where was the paranoia?

I was just saying I noticed something, you were the one that had a problem with it and started to make smartass remarks.

Besides, whatever I was saying, I did in a polite manner, you were the one that started to get personal, so please don't cry when I get personal too.

And by your same logic; I don't agree with you, and that makes me a whiner? Explain that to me, if you have the faculties.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'll get drawn in again

Where was the paranoia?

I was just saying I noticed something, you were the one that had a problem with it.

And by your same logic, I don't agree with you, and that makes nme aa whiner? Explain that to me, if you have the faculties.

Excuse me, you asked " Is that what you got from my post? " So I replied that I got some whine from it as I have from most of them, that is not attacking you, simply an observation and one made in reply to your question.

I don't share your feelings about the SMG's so I am not going to be agreeing with you, that does not mean I have a problem with anything.

Also by your comment " If you have the faculties " you are insulting me again, so that's twice in as many posts and you think I have a problem?

Last edited:
Upvote 0