• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PunkBuster will ruin the experience

I believe it was posted there will be stages of Punkbuster activation and that will be a server's choice to use it or not. Nothing wrong with having more options.

Punkbuster's client side screenshot is the best way to catch hackers anyways. Old America's Army 2 days, Punkbuster's screenshot was the undeniable proof.

Upvote 0
Just like it did with all the other games. Its the most annoying and intruding thing ever, and it should only be like that towards cheaters. VAC is enough.

see heres the thing if the punk buster is as bad as you say it is. because of the fact that its completely optional, servers will just stop using it. :)

also i hate punkbuster to i don't know why there adding it. its never been great for the user because it doesn't work like it suppose to in the first place making it a pain in the *** for anyone using it. (however) that doesn't mean it doesn't do its job it does stop hacks and hackers. and in my humble opinion punkbuster is better in that regard than VAC. :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just got done playing a few matches of America's Army 3, witch uses PunkBuster, if I didn't know any better, I would not have even known punkbuster was running. What are you guys talking about?

Sometimes you do get the occasional connectivity problem from PB though, in witch case, you either manually restart the PB services or re-boot your PC and then run the game. No huge issue there when you consider it at least stops some of the cheating.

CHEATING will ruin the experience, not Anti-Cheating.

Upvote 0
Just like it did with all the other games. Its the most annoying and intruding thing ever, and it should only be like that towards cheaters. VAC is enough.

see heres the thing if the punk buster is as bad as you say it is. because of the fact that its completely optional, servers will just stop using it. :)

also i hate punkbuster to i don't know why there adding it. its never been great for the user because it doesn't work like it suppose to in the first place making it a pain in the *** for anyone using it. (however) that doesn't mean it doesn't do its job it does stop hacks and hackers. and in my humble opinion punkbuster is better in that regard than VAC. :cool:

Uhm,

You two speak for yourselves, I've never had any issue with PB except for the self-update on a few occasions, and just for the record PB is a lot better than VAC, especially when it comes to competitive gaming and fast server administration.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Punkbuster is awesome when used with pbbans.

Our current plan has PB implemented in three stages.

*Stage 0: Off
*Stage 1: Access to the server screenshot functionality and streaming bans
*Stage 2: Standard PB protection that WILL NOT interfere with Steam (and the overlay)
*Stage 3: Full PB that WILL (most likely) kick for the steam overlay

Server admins can work with these to decide what anti cheat environment works best for their server. And players will be able to filter for those settings as well to find servers that fit their preferences.
That with the delayed bannings from VAC means we the gamers win big time.

Upvote 0
These forums are begining to wreak of troll..lol

I have never read so much utter rubbish in last few days from players/gamers from this community and outside about a game that they have not played..

PB will ruin the game, Rare weapons will wreck the game, Heroes will destroy the game..

With the game now feature locked these things are not going to disappear so get used to the idea of them being in the game but if you can't..
Simple solution..Don't buy it..Easy as that..
If the game is not what your looking for then don't buy it..If it has so many flaws then spend your money elsewhere..And leave the rest of us to play this great game in peace..

Quite honestly I don't know why TWI put up with so much crap from its own community..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
PB and VAC both work in long term contexts in that they like to collect hack info and catch as many obusers and then do a mass ban later. Banning as soon as you can means many hackers will be informed that hack X doesnt work. The downside of this is that we have to put up with hack X for 4 months, then get repreive for 3 days, then hack X+1 comes out and its four more months of hooey.

The good news here is that TWI monitors this kind of stuff and releases mini patches / other stuff to fix these hacks as they come out.

Many an old fart ( to the RO scene ) will tell you there never were any hacks for RO Ost, or that they never personally saw any, or they saw a handfull. Few enough so that each one was memorable. The truth was there were a decent number but most were fixed before they ever had a chance to ruin peoples games.

We also have dedicated servers, many of which will have admins on station during peak hours. In short, I really don't expect to have a problem with cheaters / hackers / or either of the cheat protection systems.

Reactions: Kapmes_Karel
Upvote 0
These forums are begining to wreak of troll..lol

I have never read so much utter rubbish in last few days from players/gamers from this community and outside about a game that they have not played..

PB will ruin the game, Rare weapons will wreck the game, Heroes will destroy the game..

With the game now feature locked these things are not going to disappear so get used to the idea of them being in the game but if you can't..
Simple solution..Don't buy it..Easy as that..
If the game is not what your looking for then don't buy it..If it has so many flaws then spend your money elsewhere..And leave the rest of us to play this great game in peace..

Quite honestly I don't why TWI put up with so much crap from its own community..

+1 Way to lay it out there Butch , lol . :D

Upvote 0
Punkbuster doesn't ruin games.
Uninformed admins that don't know how to set up PB properly ruin the gaming experience.

I'm not affiliated with them other than being a past streaming admin, but I'll suggest yet again that admins get familiar with the PPBans site. If you're new to running a PB server, you'll find lots of info and admins with years of PB experience.

Upvote 0