• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics M14EBR vs. SCARMK17

M14EBR vs. SCARMK17

• M14 EBR

Votes: 27 21.3%
  • SCARMK17

Votes: 100 78.7%

• Total voters
M14. I don't like the SCAR very much, I find the full-auto is just wasteful against weaker specimen and the stronger ones just won't die. If I want to fire semi-auto, the M14 delivers more damage and I don't need to slow down to shoot accurately thanks to the laser.

Btw, does anyone know if your screen resolution affects your ability to see the laser from longer distances ?

Upvote 0
I like the idea of implementing a new sniper rifle, but since we already have a bolt action weapon with a lot of fire power per shot (the xbow) we need something different.. the m14 was this difference, but it didn't work out..

So I think we need a weapon like the SVD sniper rifle, or a D3-AU sniper rifle. These could be semi-automatic, like the m14, but with scopes (maybe only x1.5 for medium ranges opposed to the xbows x2.5 scope. They have a lower amount of bullets per magazine than the M14, because sharpshooters are not commandos!

Regarding the whole 'firing from the hip', the damage should stay exactly the same! But the gun should become more inaccurate I think. Maybe having a larger spread of bullets, opposed to the perfect accuracy per bullet in scoped shots.

I think the M14 was a good idea, an alternative for the sharpshooter, but the M14 itself just doesnt cut it!

Upvote 0
I like the idea of implementing a new sniper rifle, but since we already have a bolt action weapon with a lot of fire power per shot (the xbow) we need something different.. the m14 was this difference, but it didn't work out..

So I think we need a weapon like the SVD sniper rifle, or a D3-AU sniper rifle. These could be semi-automatic, like the m14, but with scopes (maybe only x1.5 for medium ranges opposed to the xbows x2.5 scope. They have a lower amount of bullets per magazine than the M14, because sharpshooters are not commandos!

Regarding the whole 'firing from the hip', the damage should stay exactly the same! But the gun should become more inaccurate I think. Maybe having a larger spread of bullets, opposed to the perfect accuracy per bullet in scoped shots.

I think the M14 was a good idea, an alternative for the sharpshooter, but the M14 itself just doesnt cut it!

I don't think you know what bolt-action is...

Also, the D3-AU is a gun that was renamed. It is actually either a G3 or a PSG-1.

I think that if you can get good enough to score headshots in hipfire, then you deserve to keep scoring them. So i'm opposed to this.

The M14 was a good idea, however it was implemented wrong. First it was OP now it's UP. I scout-style scope with a low-powered magnification would go some way to solving the issue with it.

Upvote 0
This made me lol.
There is a lot of bolt action in crossbows though.

Bolt action like this?

FWWboltP.jpg

Upvote 0
Yeah I understand your point CandleJack, but hip firing is obviously less accurate than looking down the iron sights. Have you ever played counter strike? Unscoped shots are less accurate but good players have learnt, with practice to shoot relatively well with unscoped weapons.

I just think having 100% accuracy from the hip is a little farfetched, but I do understand your point on rewarding players who have learnt to aim from the hip. However, I think my point earlier ticks both realism and skill.

I also agree with you on the m14 being a good idea but not being done right!

Cheers

Upvote 0
People saying the M14 is bad needs to try it out more. It's a BEAST
Poeple saying the SCAR is just another AK needs to play higher difficulties with Commando more. It's a BEAST.

Now shoo people :D

Seriously though about the SCAR, i slightly understand people what they mean when they say it's "just another AK". Sure it has 1 less weight, sure it has a scope which makes it better for longer distances and sure it has quite a bit higher DPS than the AK, but other than that they are quite similar yes. But, look in the general discussion or modding forums for Scary_ghost's KF community beta. The SCAR has been given penetration (hits up to 1 extra target, with 50% damage). I think that is all it might need to be something more than "just another AK"

But i still stand by the statement that the M14 is a real beast. It rapes trash AND fleshpounds. Bring a LAR with it for Scrakes and Crawlers :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah I understand your point CandleJack, but hip firing is obviously less accurate than looking down the iron sights. Have you ever played counter strike? Unscoped shots are less accurate but good players have learnt, with practice to shoot relatively well with unscoped weapons.

I just think having 100% accuracy from the hip is a little farfetched, but I do understand your point on rewarding players who have learnt to aim from the hip. However, I think my point earlier ticks both realism and skill.

I also agree with you on the m14 being a good idea but not being done right!

Cheers

Actually, for realism, you can be pretty damn accurate "firing from the hip" at least up to 7-10 yards. Google "aimed point shooting" and "suarez international point shooting progression" for some idea of what I mean.

Upvote 0
I don't think you can really compare the two.

As a sharpie your loadouts are usually going to look like
XBox/HC/9MM
Xbow/Scar
Lar/M14/9MM

(You really don't need the 9 MM that much with the scar because of ammo capacity)

The M14 is pretty much for Sirens, Husks, and FP's and if you are on a lower difficulty, trash (with enough ammo) Its definitely harder to use than a lot of the other guns out there, but allows a skilled sharpie to a solo a 6 man HoE FP at close range. The scar just can't compete with that.

The scar also falls behind with its ability to deal with husks and sirens on the higher difficulties, but leaves more margin for error with higher ammo capacity. It is arguably easier to aim and more adept at making long range shots. (Which in the LAR/M14 Load out would be made by the LAR anyway)

The real comparison should take place between something like Lar/M-14 and Xbow/Scar layouts. Rather than trying to compare the two guns side by side, as they have different roles.

Upvote 0

I'll let you in on a secret.

I started playing FPS on CS:S pretty much. Then i discovered the zombie mod.

Then i started playing L4D with a few friends, and then they moved on to L4D2.

Then i moved on to the best zombie game.

Then i joined their forums :p
I now have over 2,200 posts on it. :)

Upvote 0
The M14 or the SCAR for which class? Sharpshooter? I would never take a SCAR as a sharpshooter. Bow/HC or M14/LAR will trump it in every way if you can use it correctly.

The M14. It is, as others have pointed out, a complete beast if you can hit headshots. If used correctly it can outperform any other single weapon at killing ANYTHING. FP's, Scrakes, Husks & Sirens (actually I would say HC beats it on 6 man HoE for Husks and Sirens), and anything under that. If you think it is underpowered you:

A: Can't use it properly, or
B: Never seen it used properly (as Jester pointed out)

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
As bin said, the SCAR is a bad choice for sharpshooters, provided they have some skill. The HC is infinitely superior in terms of killing trash for the sharp, as well as 2-shotting husks/sirens, and also has a really quick reload.

The M14 is amazing, mind you. Don't insult a weapon you have yet to properly use, because the M14 can solo scrakes, fleshpounds, kill trash, snipe things from a far, has lots of ammo, AND has a quick reload. It also weighs in decently so that you're able to take a LAR or HC with you.

bin you're a baddie.

Upvote 0