• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapon Perks [Individual Weapon Leveling]

This looks like a pretty good thing you've got going on here. One thing I'm really curious about is how many custom weapons do you have planned for this and for each specific perk, and what will the max level cut off be?

One thing that can make or break playing stuff that involves level gaining is usually how long it might eventually take to reach max level. If the learning curve becomes too steep, like how the current KF leveling system for perks is it might be a bit too much. It can take away interest and playability quite fast because grinding can end up being a bit too much. Hopefully this comes out well balanced in terms of that though. Definitely plan to use this when it eventually comes out in the future. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Cmdr-A
The amount of unlocks will depend on how many weapons I can scavenge. I hope people won't mind if I include some of the popular things like the Weapon Pack or some WTFMut things as unlocks. What exactly the unlock trees will be I'm also not sure yet, but they will mostly be alternatives to your higher level weapons. At level 10 Katana you could unlock the weaker, but life stealing Blutsauger Katana. Or when you level the YouTube - Killing Floor - MP7P Poison Gun and M79 to level 10 you gain access to the poison grenade launcher... Stuff like that :).

Max level and level curves will have to be decided by playtesting. I personally am a big fan of unlimited grind, knowing that if I put unlimited time into something I can reach level n+1. The first 6 levels of a gun will probably be pretty low, requiring you to maybe play one or two 10 wave games and will give the biggest stats bonuses. This is to ensure that you quickly regain the former strength of a level 6 perk with a weapon. After that the stat bonuses will become smaller as in to not overpower things and every 10 levels the curve will rise.

That's what I have planned right now, but as I said when playertesters don't like it I'll make changes as necessary.

Upvote 0
@Cmdr-A
The amount of unlocks will depend on how many weapons I can scavenge. I hope people won't mind if I include some of the popular things like the Weapon Pack or some WTFMut things as unlocks. What exactly the unlock trees will be I'm also not sure yet, but they will mostly be alternatives to your higher level weapons.

Sounds quite fair to me, the more there is for fun, possibly the better. I definitely hope to see more of this coming soon.

Excalibolg said:
Max level and level curves will have to be decided by playtesting. I personally am a big fan of unlimited grind, knowing that if I put unlimited time into something I can reach level n+1. The first 6 levels of a gun will probably be pretty low, requiring you to maybe play one or two 10 wave games and will give the biggest stats bonuses. This is to ensure that you quickly regain the former strength of a level 6 perk with a weapon. After that the stat bonuses will become smaller as in to not overpower things and every 10 levels the curve will rise.

That's what I have planned right now, but as I said when playertesters don't like it I'll make changes as necessary.

I'd be glad to volunteer for help testing it later on when you decide to start trying it. As I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to, too. Giving a significant boost at the beginning and waning it off for smaller increases in power the further it goes down, but still giving it power that eventually puts it up much further the higher you gain sounds decent enough of a plan.

Though to be fair, grinding when it eventually comes to it, that takes like say a couple of days ((about 4 days worth of game playing)) to a week or more just to gain a single level might become a bit too arduous me thinks for the causal KF player. Especially if players aren't as eager or willing to spend the time playing on the same server all the time and or only get a small fraction of time to play overall. Those are just my thoughts, though. I'm sure you'll find a middle ground one way or another. :)

Upvote 0
i've joined your steam group too because imo thats a great idea and i want to help you. (and i also want to see the source code because i want to know how you've done that)

my steamname is GMK|J1gS4w

You have to join it yourself and to be honest, helpping shouldn't be done if all you want is the source code :p

I joined :) How quickly can you make up the new weapons, like the poison MP7? Cause i have some suggestions just for fun if you can switch the code in a few secods :)

Seems to do this quite quick as he's taught me quite a bit while doing some of his project lol. I think your suggestions will be asked about due to knowing he wants to make a lot of customisation with the guns for the later levels (from commentary of the video). This would boost the mutator making it much more interesting to see so many more weapons available and unique if possible.

Upvote 0
You have to join it yourself and to be honest, helpping shouldn't be done if all you want is the source code :p
I only wanted that you know who i'm on steam. and the reason why i want to know the code is because i want to learn more about programming. of course i'll test it and inform you if anything doesn't work how it should. thats what i understand under "help". :)

Upvote 0
I don't know why the general consciousness is "I must reach max level". Why not just play the game, have fun, and enjoy it that way? To me, enabling leveling beyond level 6 is just a goodie to reward regulars. You're gonna stick around a server for a longer time? You shall be rewarded with having an easier time.

Well, its not about gaining the max level, Here its more about the reward for gaining levels more is of the weapons themselves once you level up in the tier tree for weapon unlocks. If people can only play a short while and unable to unlock a good portion of the weapons they'll miss out on the ideas of what weaponry might be waiting for them. Thats my only thought as of now.

If you have weapon unlocks into the far reaching levels ((depending on how many levels you plan to set out)) that only come from leveling up So and so weapon to max or near max level would be a bit long winded to try to obtain more weapons for fun. One thing that comes to mind would be, weapon unlocks only come through level this until level that on each weapon, so the rest is only for boosting the stats afterwards for said weapons. Example thought: Weapon unlocks can happen between Level 1 through Level 10 at random for any random weapon you can find and or purchase at the trader and ultimately ones that unlock.

To say, basically a set cut off cap for the levels when weapons will unlock corresponding to levels of each weapon that was given experience through usage. So it would stay fairly fresh for regulars and people who don't visit that often and encourage those who don't visit as often to possibly come back because they get more of an experience from being able to try out more weapons, sooner. Unless thats sort of the plan at the current moment? From what you've explained, it wasn't really delved too deep into how often unlocks would come and after how many levels before a certain weapon would not give more unlocks, thus leading to having to use other weapons to unlock other weapons until theres none left to unlock. Sorry if my insightful nature may come off as annoying or something. I'm just a curious mind that has far too many thoughts going around in my head for my own good. >.>

Upvote 0
God I'm sick of people asking for forgiveness, be it because they ask for coding help on Steam or asking for details in this thread :D. I've made this to discuss the thing and gather feedback from the community. I'm just one guy working on a idea I had, the more response I get the more I can incorporate what people actually want and make this fun for everyone.

That said, I'm not planning to have any "high" level unlocks. I don't plan to force people to play for days just to get that one uber weapon that makes them better than everyone else (Hello Team-GMK server!). Most unlocks will come pretty soon-ish. While some unlocks might just be "Level the SCAR to level 6 to unlock the SCAR with grenade launcher attachment" some others might expand across multiple weapons "Crossbow level 8, M79 level 2, M32 level 2 and Grenade level 3 for the Gunpowder Crossbow please...". Of course I'm just pulling numbers from my butt right now, we'll see what works during testing.

Upvote 0
Heads up, I implemented the temporary level buff system.

When ZED time activates, you will gain one level. When it stops, you will lose that level. This temporary level will give you all the buffs of the next level, making your attacks stronger, but not work towards unlocking new weapons (Would be stupid to be one level before unlocking something and get the message each time zed time activates...).

Below you can see a screenshot of how it looks ingame. The transparent star indicates that this level is temporary. There is a perk that can extend ZED time once, but I might make another one that gains twice the buff from this.

Reactions: HalfDemon
Upvote 0