• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapon Perks [Individual Weapon Leveling]

Hey, thats a very nice idea!

So will this be released or something?

Are like, the weapon levels stored in the same way as Marco's Serverperk levels?

How about a separate mutator for weapon levels instead of integrating it with a separate perk system..

This way people who want to use Marco's perk mutator can continue using it while being able to add the Weapon Levels mut..

Any source? :D

Oh yeah, one question

Since it already shows the knife levels at the bottom right, why is there a need to show the level in the form of stars on the left?

Upvote 0
Hey, thats a very nice idea!

Cheers :)

So will this be released or something?

Eventually

Are like, the weapon levels stored in the same way as Marco's Serverperk levels?

Yeppers. Every Weapon gets its own unique damage stat.

How about a separate mutator for weapon levels instead of integrating it with a separate perk system..

My first version of this system was like this. Now I'm up to the third and this time I hardcoded it with Marcos Serverperks. Problem was that I am new to UnrealScript and especially replication gives me a hard time. So coding a leveling system on KFWeapon was giving me a really hard time.

Any source? :D

Not ready yet ;). I'll eventually release it after I got some public testing in and ironed out all the flaws. Right now there's not much more to it than you can see in the video. While stat increases (more damage etc) are completly easy to add right now, none are coded right now. I have to add them first (for each weapon individually), balance them and so forth. Lots of work ahead 8)

Oh yeah, one question

Since it already shows the knife levels at the bottom right, why is there a need to show the level in the form of stars on the left?

It's mostly for other players who look at you, so you can tell that guy with the 9mm is a level 25 9mm user and is probably gonna kick some Fleshpoundbutt :D

Also some general info on how this works:
When you select your perk at the beginning of the game, that gets stored on you as your "Master Perk". When drawing the HUD and requesting things like ReduceDamage, your Master Perk is consulted. Every weapon has its own veterancy and when you switch weapons, you are automatically switched to the weapons veterancy. The HUD icon stays same, as its the master perk, but your bonuses as well as your stars will switch corresponding to the new weapon.

The unlock system functions like this:
The store is populated with KFPickup items. I made a new class called UnlockableKFPickup that is derived from KFPickup. This class stores the Perk and required level for this item to unlock. Everytime you level up, the client checks all the weapons if you have fullfilled a new weapon requirement and displays the message if so.
The GUI code that populates the store with data also checks if something is a UnlockableKFPickup and if so, checks if you have the Perk + Level requirements.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeppers. Every Weapon gets its own unique damage stat.
So this means if we have our own custom weapons, we have to add the damage stat for that weapon as well?

Actually, i think people would still want the Master Perk to increase in level.

I believe the weapon leveling and unlocking system should be there to complement the Perk System, an added bonus for using a certain type of weapon.

New weapons for a class are unlocked once that class reaches a certain level?

The bonuses shouldnt be too overpowered too.

Hey, would be awesome if there was another icon above/beside the Perk Icon that showed the weapon level.

I sent you a friend request on Steam :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So this means if we have our own custom weapons, we have to add the damage stat for that weapon as well?

If you want to add a weapon you'll need to add it to the source and subclass it from my CustomKFWeapon. Like I said, I'm still a beginner coder and this is my 3rd version (Started this code from scratch 3 times), so everything might not be optimal :D

Actually, i think people would still want the Master Perk to increase in level.

I'm personally not a fan. Like I say in the video, these are just small bonuses that shouldn't be game deciding. At some point I had the idea floating around of no perks at all and just being able to grind everything. Kill stalkers -> Can see them while cloaked. Get kills -> Can see health bars. Take much damage -> Resistance to damage. Share money with teammates -> level your discount. That idea got tossed aside for these "master perks" though.

I believe the weapon leveling and unlocking system should be there to complement the Perk System, an added bonus for using a certain type of weapon.

Think that would overpower the characters too much. Besides, what's the point of playing Commando and only using SCAR or playing a gamemode where you only level your SCAR? =D

New weapons for a class are unlocked once that class reaches a certain level?

There are no classes per s

Upvote 0
Just copied and edited our steam convo so stuff isnt forgotten :p

If you want to add a weapon you'll need to add it to the source and subclass it from my CustomKFWeapon. Like I said, I'm still a beginner coder and this is my 3rd version (Started this code from scratch 3 times), so everything might not be optimal :D

I'm personally not a fan. Like I say in the video, these are just small bonuses that shouldn't be game deciding. At some point I had the idea floating around of no perks at all and just being able to grind everything. Kill stalkers -> Can see them while cloaked. Get kills -> Can see health bars. Take much damage -> Resistance to damage. Share money with teammates -> level your discount. That idea got tossed aside for these "master perks" though.

Think that would overpower the characters too much. Besides, what's the point of playing Commando and only using SCAR or playing a gamemode where you only level your SCAR? =D

There are no classes per s

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like this idea a lot, but I'm still unclear as to exactly what happens. If I'm a SS with a 9mm, do i get the SS bonus to the 9mm AND 9mm veterancy bonuses? Also, if I'm a SS who picked up a bullpup, do i get bonuses? Either way, that sounds like a lot of work to go thru, so thanks! can't wait for a release :)
PS. - did you work on the weapon pack guns or anything else to incorporate those, or is that up to the original creators?

Upvote 0
I like this idea a lot, but I'm still unclear as to exactly what happens. If I'm a SS with a 9mm, do i get the SS bonus to the 9mm AND 9mm veterancy bonuses? Also, if I'm a SS who picked up a bullpup, do i get bonuses? Either way, that sounds like a lot of work to go thru, so thanks! can't wait for a release :)

Yeah, you get the SS Perk bonuses along with the 9mm bonuses

If you are an SS and have been using Bullpup, you get the Bullpup proficiency Bonus but no Perk bonus cause ur not using a commando if im not wrong..

Upvote 0
PS. - did you work on the weapon pack guns or anything else to incorporate those, or is that up to the original creators?

There is no SS, so no SS bonuses. I removed the original perks from this mod and replaced them with the weaker master perks.

Haven't thought much about how other people could extend this yet. First I need a working version for myself :D

Upvote 0
There is no SS, so no SS bonuses. I removed the original perks from this mod and replaced them with the weaker master perks.

Haven't thought much about how other people could extend this yet. First I need a working version for myself :D
Alright. do the new veterancies allow for higher perkage than the stock perks? can i get a higher headshot bonus than SS perk would normally allow?

Upvote 0

I thought you left in the Master Perks?

Master perks have bonuses right, i mean no matter how small

Upvote 0
Alright. do the new veterancies allow for higher perkage than the stock perks? can i get a higher headshot bonus than SS perk would normally allow?

The Master Perks can't be leveled, as they only provide little bonus. If your 9mm, Crossbow or whatever you pick can go beyond that is something up for balance at a later point.

My first thought was that weapon levels should (theoretically) expand into infinity/a high lelel that is unlikely for someone to reach. As your level progresses, your leveling requirements go way up to a point where it's just not feasible anymore (I love unlimited grind :D).

Another think I was pondering about is different Weapons fullfilling different categorys. Looking at Commando for example, the Bullpup could gain large ammunition increases as it levels, while its damage is only increased slowly. The SCAR on the other hand might get some big damage increases, while almost no ammo increases. Something like that... Since I have to give every weapon its bonuses manually it's part of the later balancing I'm gonna do after I put this up for playtesting.

Edit:

I thought you left in the Master Perks?

Master perks have bonuses right, i mean no matter how small

Tank: 15% less damage
Mule: Carry 5kg more
Runner: Run 15% faster
Cheapskate: Get a 15% discount on everything
Firestarter: Immune to Fire damage
Demoman: Immune to Explosive damage
Timebender: Can extend ZED time once.

I have planned that ZED time will temporarily increase your level by 1 or 2 while it lasts, so that would make Timebender a great asset to the team ;)

Also do you guys think the leveling requirements should scale with a weapons effectiveness at dealing damage? For example a 9mm might require a low amount to level, while the M79 takes 2-3 times as much to level, simply because it can deal so much more damage at one time?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Master Perks can't be leveled, as they only provide little bonus. If your 9mm, Crossbow or whatever you pick can go beyond that is something up for balance at a later point.

My first thought was that weapon levels should (theoretically) expand into infinity/a high lelel that is unlikely for someone to reach. As your level progresses, your leveling requirements go way up to a point where it's just not feasible anymore (I love unlimited grind :D).

Another think I was pondering about is different Weapons fullfilling different categorys. Looking at Commando for example, the Bullpup could gain large ammunition increases as it levels, while its damage is only increased slowly. The SCAR on the other hand might get some big damage increases, while almost no ammo increases. Something like that... Since I have to give every weapon its bonuses manually it's part of the later balancing I'm gonna do after I put this up for playtesting.

Edit:

Tank: 15% less damage
Mule: Carry 5kg more
Runner: Run 15% faster
Cheapskate: Get a 15% discount on everything
Firestarter: Immune to Fire damage
Demoman: Immune to Explosive damage
Timebender: Can extend ZED time once.

I have planned that ZED time will temporarily increase your level by 1 or 2 while it lasts, so that would make Timebender a great asset to the team ;)

Also do you guys think the leveling requirements should scale with a weapons effectiveness at dealing damage? For example a 9mm might require a low amount to level, while the M79 takes 2-3 times as much to level, simply because it can deal so much more damage at one time?

that makes it much clearer thanx. and to your question, yes. The m79 can do a mags wort of 9mm rounds in a single shot, especially if it hits a good grouping. so definately.

Upvote 0
Funny, I recall another thread in ideas and suggestions that was essentially the same thing and it was universally flamed.

Suggesting something that changes the core gameplay != Making a mutator to have a different gameplay on a modded server. Atleast I think that's the main difference.

Update: I just added the MAC 10 and the Flamethrower. Since there's no Firebug Perk, the MAC 10 always sets things on fire. The burn damage does not add up to the damage of a weapon though, only the real hitting damage. Reason for this being that I can't determine what caused the burn. The code in KFMonster basically says "Was my last damage from a flamethrower? All following burn damage is flamethrower damage. If it was not, it was caused by the MAC10". This would ofc work for now, but as soon as I add a third weapon that sets ZEDs on fire (and believe me I will... and it won't stay at just 3 :D) we get into trouble. If anybody has an idea what to do without changing KFMonster and then copying all the ZEDs, ****ing over custom specimen, feel free to speak up :<

Upvote 0