• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

General Firearm Discussion

No, not yet. I'd love to check one out, play with it, but I just don't see myself getting one, simply because I don't see myself ever getting a Sig 556. I think I'm pretty well standardized on the AR platform.

Now ... I'm curious to see what happens on the 28th when Gene shows off his package ... I want some 25-rounders for the M&P.

Too bad the SIG556 is really expensive. I'd look into one for $900, but I don't think I'd ever see one that low. Random comment, but the SCAR looks nice in person. Didn't bother checking it out as I won't buy one.

And what is going on the 28th? Hopefully good news for us. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I might just get the 10 22.

As for the SCAR, SIG 556 etc, maybe its just me but I think all those guns are just way to expensive, sorry but I won't pay 2 grand to do pretty much the same thing as an AR, except easier to clean.

Plus, my dad has an AR and it can't shoot steel cased ammo, which makes it 3 times more expensive to shoot, AK's you can get for a few hundred, or 700 for an authentic modern Russian one, and they can shoot steel cased ammo.

So the AK is my favorite assault rifle, the AR I like to a certain degree, bullpups and newer rifles like the SCAR are cool, but just too expensive for doing pretty much the same thing.

I'm not rich and I have other hobbies besides guns, and other types of guns to get.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Too bad the SIG556 is really expensive. I'd look into one for $900, but I don't think I'd ever see one that low. Random comment, but the SCAR looks nice in person. Didn't bother checking it out as I won't buy one.

And what is going on the 28th? Hopefully good news for us. :D

I've got some suspicions about how it's going to happen but I'm not positive. Net result, though, should be that we can get normal magazines in Cali. It'll be a little more expensive, but it should be legal. Keep watching the 2nd Am forum on CGN.

Upvote 0
I might just get the 10 22.

As for the SCAR, SIG 556 etc, maybe its just me but I think all those guns are just way to expensive, sorry but I won't pay 2 grand to do pretty much the same thing as an AR, except easier to clean.

Plus, my dad has an AR and it can't shoot steel cased ammo, which makes it 3 times more expensive to shoot, AK's you can get for a few hundred, or 700 for an authentic modern Russian one, and they can shoot steel cased ammo.

So the AK is my favorite assault rifle, the AR I like to a certain degree, bullpups and newer rifles like the SCAR are cool, but just too expensive for doing pretty much the same thing.

I'm not rich and I have other hobbies besides guns, and other types of guns to get.

The ability of AR's to shoot steel cased ammo varies between different brands. Mine doesn't seem to have any problem with it, but I haven't tried too many different brands. 5.56 is just too damn expensive to shoot much, period. I want to get a thousand round case of M855, which is getting cheap now ... but it's still 30-40 cents a round, shipped.

The 10/22 will be a fine choice for you. You can have a lot of fun with them, and they should last you for a long time.

Upvote 0
The ability of AR's to shoot steel cased ammo varies between different brands. Mine doesn't seem to have any problem with it, but I haven't tried too many different brands. 5.56 is just too damn expensive to shoot much, period. I want to get a thousand round case of M855, which is getting cheap now ... but it's still 30-40 cents a round, shipped.

The 10/22 will be a fine choice for you. You can have a lot of fun with them, and they should last you for a long time.

My dad has a Bushmaster, it has problems with steel cases ammo, some of his friends have Bushmasters and they shoot steel cased.

From what I know most AR manufacturers do not recommend steel cased ammo, whereas Russian weapons are designed FOR steel cased ammo.

Also, what do you think is the best 22 pistol? The most popular ones seem to be Walthers and Rugers.

Upvote 0
I've got some suspicions about how it's going to happen but I'm not positive. Net result, though, should be that we can get normal magazines in Cali. It'll be a little more expensive, but it should be legal. Keep watching the 2nd Am forum on CGN.

The worst gun laws in CA is the registration of handgun, AWB, and "safe roster". But any normal cap mags would be nice to.

My dad has a Bushmaster, it has problems with steel cases ammo, some of his friends have Bushmasters and they shoot steel cased.

From what I know most AR manufacturers do not recommend steel cased ammo, whereas Russian weapons are designed FOR steel cased ammo.

Get a BCM AR, it shouldn't have any problems. I am thinking of getting some Wolf .223 for my CMMG AR upper to see if it shoots ok. Only thing is I know it runs very dirty. I don't like cleaning guns.

Upvote 0
The worst gun laws in CA is the registration of handgun, AWB, and "safe roster". But any normal cap mags would be nice to.

The safe roster will hopefully go away with Pena v. Cid, but Sykes has to be decided first. You can get around it easily enough, though - you just have to find a gun shop that will work with you. PRK Arms in Fresno sells virtually any non-"safe-listed" gun you want. They convert it to a dimensionally compliant single-shot, then sell it to you. You turn a couple screws, take out the magazine block sled thingy, put the factory barrel in, and then give them back the super long barrel and the magazine sled, and you've got yourself an XDM or HK45 or whatever you wanted.

Normal cap mags should be available end of this month, too. You still have to have a featureless rifle to use them, though. You can be damn sure I'll be ordering a few mags for my M&P 15-22, maybe for the 10/22 also.

Also, what do you think is the best 22 pistol? The most popular ones seem to be Walthers and Rugers.

I don't really know. I don't have any .22 pistols at the moment. (Actually, I don't have any pistols at all, except for a cap and ball .44 revolver!) I used to have a S&W 422 though, and I loved that, and I know the S&W Model 22 is quite nice as well. My brother in law has a Ruger MkII (I think) with an integral Gemtech silencer, and that's just badass.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The safe roster will hopefully go away with Pena v. Cid, but Sykes has to be decided first. You can get around it easily enough, though - you just have to find a gun shop that will work with you. PRK Arms in Fresno sells virtually any non-"safe-listed" gun you want. They convert it to a dimensionally compliant single-shot, then sell it to you. You turn a couple screws, take out the magazine block sled thingy, put the factory barrel in, and then give them back the super long barrel and the magazine sled, and you've got yourself an XDM or HK45 or whatever you wanted.

Normal cap mags should be available end of this month, too. You still have to have a featureless rifle to use them, though. You can be damn sure I'll be ordering a few mags for my M&P 15-22, maybe for the 10/22 also.

So you think normal caps might be legal again? And legal in a .22LR semi auto? Well, that might make my GSG much more fun.

I sold my MMG because my AR has a fixed flash hider (or so I think), and it was trimmed for my AK and there was a gap. But if featureless can soon use normal cap mags, I'd look into converting it to a featureless just to try them out. :D

Upvote 0
So you think normal caps might be legal again? And legal in a .22LR semi auto? Well, that might make my GSG much more fun.

I sold my MMG because my AR has a fixed flash hider (or so I think), and it was trimmed for my AK and there was a gap. But if featureless can soon use normal cap mags, I'd look into converting it to a featureless just to try them out. :D

Normal capacity magazines are 100% perfectly legal in California right now. You can own all of them you want. It's not illegal to buy them, even. It's just illegal to sell, lend, import or manufacture them. And, to make it even better, there is no constructive possession law in California - unlike Federal law - so you can buy a disassembled magazine and have it shipped to you ... you just can't assemble it, or else it becomes a functional "ammunition feeding device" and you have manufactured it, thereby breaking the law.

What the Calguns bubbas are working on right now is an end run around the prohibition on selling and importing. (I have my suspicions on how that's going to be accomplished, but I'm not going to voice them.) Gene has stated that basically everything should be in place by Feb 28, and after that point there will be a legal way to acquire them. Now, this is still a very limited way: you will still not be able to sell it, lend it, trade it. You won't be able to take it out of state and then bring it back, because that would be importing it. (You're only allowed to bring back into the state a magazine that was legally owned by you within the borders of California prior to 2000.)

What this will do is have the effect of rendering the >10 round prohibition essentially moot and almost completely unenforceable. It's only a short step from there to getting it completely struck down as pointless.

Upvote 0
..Also, what do you think is the best 22 pistol? The most popular ones seem to be Walthers and Rugers.

Gotta put in a plug for Ruger.
Here are a few pics of my Ruger .22.
Accurized by J.E.Clark, ported and trigger work. Probably built before you were a twinkle in you dad's eye...;)

rugertop.png

rugerrear.png
rugerside.png

Floyd <glad he lives in "The Sportsmans Paradise" and not CA. :eek: >

Upvote 0
Upvote 0