• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

General Firearm Discussion

AS "Val"​
Автомат Специальный Вал​
Avtomat Special'nyj Val​
as_val.jpg

Country of Origin: U.S.S.R.
Designer: ЦНИИТочмаш (TsNIITochMash)
Weapon Type: Assault Rifle
Calibre: 9x39 mm (subsonic)
Action: Gas-operated
Barrel Length: 200 mm
Weight Empty: 2.96 kg
Magazine Capacity: 10/20 rounds detachable box
Rate of Fire: ~900 rpm
Effective Range: 300 m

Notes:

-Around those cartridges, the AS Val was built, along with it's "sister" rifle VSS Vintorez. What`s curious, is that despite AS Val being assault rifle, and VSS Vintorez - sniper rifle, they have about 70% of interchangeable parts.

-The AS Val is currently used by Spetsnaz and reconnaisance divisions of Russian Army, as well as MVD and FSB special forces.

-Default sights are marked up to 400 m, with step of 25 m, but in practice, aiming beyond 250-300 m is difficult, due to bullets arcing. The AS Val has a rail on the side, allowing to mount various optic/nightvision/red dot sights. It has no capabilities to mount a grenade launcher or bayonet.

Media:

YouTube - AS Val assault rifle
YouTube - АС "ВАЛ" . Special rifle AS "VAL"

Upvote 0
The AS VAL looks nice, but the sights and controls look like something from the 50s.

I saw an FN SCAR in 5.56 at the gun store today. Maybe if I am back there sometime soon I can take a look at it.

Only reason I didn't look at it is because I hate touching guns that I have no intention of buying.

Upvote 0
Took my M44 to the range last weekend, was shooting 1 inch groups at 50m with old surplus easily and consistently. I fired my last 10 rounds of the day at the 1x2 foot gong they have at the 350m line, hit it 6 times out of 10, I was pretty happy with that effort.

She's short, ugly and noisy but she sure shoots well.

Upvote 0
Took my M44 to the range last weekend, was shooting 1 inch groups at 50m with old surplus easily and consistently. I fired my last 10 rounds of the day at the 1x2 foot gong they have at the 350m line, hit it 6 times out of 10, I was pretty happy with that effort.

She's short, ugly and noisy but she sure shoots well.

I've shot 1 inch groups at 100m with an old beat up M44 and 1950's surplus.
One can't say that the M44 is picky on it's ammo. :)

Upvote 0
I'm always amazed with the accuracy of the M44 I am thinking of getting an SK mount and LER scope to turn her into a scout. Would make a fine hunting carbine I think.

If you're going to do that, get Darrell's Scout Mount. It's the only one that's worth a damn, and it doesn't modify the weapon in any non-reversible way.

Upvote 0
HERESY!

Never EVER modify old surplus rifles!
You realise that an SK mount is a no drill or tap mount and I won't be damaging the carbine in any way shape or form. In fact it will be able to be returned to military condition in minutes.

If you're going to do that, get Darrell's Scout Mount. It's the only one that's worth a damn, and it doesn't modify the weapon in any non-reversible way.
I've got an SK no drill or tap mount on one of my No.4MkI's which is solid as a rock and has held zero through 100's of rounds. They are widely regarded as the some of the best makers of 'no modification required' mounts for surplus rifles. Trust me I've done my homework.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You realise that an SK mount is a no drill or tap mount and I won't be damaging the carbine in any way shape or form. In fact it will be able to be returned to military condition in minutes.

Doesn't matter, it's like replacing the standard stock with a fibre one.
Won't damage the rifle and you'll be able to replace the stock in a matter of 5 minutes, but still heresy. :p

Upvote 0