• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Dropping Knife and 9mm

Dropping Knife and 9mm

• Knife only

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • 9mm only

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Both

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Niether

Votes: 27 44.3%

• Total voters
I'd say neither, since they are an integral part of game balance. Weight is a big issue for weapons, so losing just 1 weight block creates a whole world of new loadout possibilities that would be a balance nightmare.

It might make the inventory screen a little less cluttered but in my opinion the gain is vastly outweighed by the loss :)

Incidently binding a button to last weapon used helps alot for weapon cycling. I use Q since I don't need the quick heal option, but if you want to keep it you can always bind quick heal to a slightly less vital key :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not saying that you have to drop it, just being able to if you want to. I play HoE 99% of the time, and as a zerker I find the Knife annoying when I hit my melee weapon key and have to cycle past the Knife, and for me, the 9mm is close to useless.

Sure, but what I'm saying is what if you accidentally drop your knife (your only real backup weapon) and someone throws it out of the map, and you run out of ammo and have no other melee weapons?

Upvote 0
I'd say neither, since they are an integral part of game balance. Weight is a big issue for weapons, so losing just 1 weight block creates a whole world of new loadout possibilities that would be a balance nightmare.

It might make the inventory screen a little less cluttered but in my opinion the gain is vastly outweighed by the loss :)

That is a very good point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not saying that you have to drop it, just being able to if you want to. I play HoE 99% of the time, and as a zerker I find the Knife annoying when I hit my melee weapon key and have to cycle past the Knife, and for me, the 9mm is close to useless.

Learning the 9mm is a key thing in this game. That gun has saved me countless times, and helped me stretch shells and rifle ammo on long end waves. Trust me, take a couple of days and really learn that weapon, it is useful even on hoE.

Upvote 0

Incidently binding a button to last weapon used helps alot for weapon cycling. I use Q since I don't need the quick heal option, but if you want to keep it you can always bind quick heal to a slightly less vital key :)
I could have sworn they both had zero weight and that grenades added the 1 block.

Upvote 0
I could have sworn they both had zero weight and that grenades added the 1 block.

On refleciton I heard that too.

I suppose being able to drop your knife and 9mm is alright, as long as you couldn't sell it AND it didn't remove that 1 weight block. Don't think there would be any harm done :)

So assuming this is the case I don't think I'd have any objections.

Upvote 0
I support this (Dropping both).

I don't like being forced to carry both of these weapons, especially if I don't need them.

It would be nice if it could free up a block of weight or two also, but that may be asking a bit much.

Why would you drop a weapon that weighs nothing and you don't use anyway? If you need it, it will be there. A 9mm and 15 mags, if that is all you have, can still bring down plenty of ZEDs, even on sui or HoE, if your aim is good. I use it constantly as support, for single or groups of smaller enemies, and to have something for long range. The 9mm is capable of hitting things in the head out as far as you can see. It will kill a crawler with 2 hs, and a clot with 2 or 3, and it only has a sliver of health after its head is gone. I have been able to blow away 4 clots with the 9mm at close range within a second or two before.

I do agree if you really don't want it, you should be able to drop or sell it for a modest amount, although it is always good to have something to fall back on. I have had many times during a heated wave where we lost a couple of teammates and I burned through my shells killing more than my fair share, ran out, and killed the last 20 or so with my 9mm.

I guess I am arguing for the last ditch weapon option. I would rather have a support or commando helping the team even a little bit with a 9mm rather than standing around because his perk weapons are empty. I am always for the one last option kind of thing, the knife and 9mm are far from godlike weapons, but with skill, they can still be used well in a pinch, or to save main weapon ammo. This is referring to non sharp 9mm of course. The sharp 9mm is still a really good weapon.

I could see wishing to get rid of them if they took up several blocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benjamin
Upvote 0
Why would you drop a weapon that weighs nothing and you don't use anyway? If you need it, it will be there. A 9mm and 15 mags, if that is all you have, can still bring down plenty of ZEDs, even on sui or HoE, if your aim is good. I use it constantly as support, for single or groups of smaller enemies, and to have something for long range. The 9mm is capable of hitting things in the head out as far as you can see. It will kill a crawler with 2 hs, and a clot with 2 or 3, and it only has a sliver of health after its head is gone. I have been able to blow away 4 clots with the 9mm at close range within a second or two before.

I do agree if you really don't want it, you should be able to drop or sell it for a modest amount, although it is always good to have something to fall back on. I have had many times during a heated wave where we lost a couple of teammates and I burned through my shells killing more than my fair share, ran out, and killed the last 20 or so with my 9mm.

I guess I am arguing for the last ditch weapon option. I would rather have a support or commando helping the team even a little bit with a 9mm rather than standing around because his perk weapons are empty. I am always for the one last option kind of thing, the knife and 9mm are far from godlike weapons, but with skill, they can still be used well in a pinch, or to save main weapon ammo. This is referring to non sharp 9mm of course. The sharp 9mm is still a really good weapon.

I could see wishing to get rid of them if they took up several blocks.

I play mainly zerker, I just want them out of my inventory, making weapon cycling less cluttered.

Upvote 0
I play mainly zerker, I just want them out of my inventory, making weapon cycling less cluttered.

I carry a machete at times, what I do is bind "melee weapons" to my middle mouse button. When I need it, I tap the button, and my strongest weapon comes out first. I can see the point of not using the knife as a zerker, but the 9mm is still useful on crawlers or when your LAR is out.

Upvote 0
Wow i can't belive i'm the first but i would say just the knife only becuase the only time i ever use is ethier running to the trader or headshoting clots on wave 1. The 9mm is just such a lifesaver because when i first started to play this gun angered me to no end. Once i learned how to use the 9mm this gun has spared me from the jaws of defeat

Reactions: Rainydaykid
Upvote 0