• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

katana/axe/lar, I'm sorry...

I will explain it to you using simple animated gifs. The Axe swings slow like this.
windmill.gif

But the Machete swings fast like this!

1288669-nascar-004_06172006.gif

Also the Machete is badass like this.

machete-poster-big.jpg

Upvote 0
I remember before Killing Floor me and my mates while watching Jason Voorhees movies used to argue which weapon would be better to use between a Fire Axe or Machete.

They argued that fire axe would hit harder than the machete and do more damage. I sat in the opinion that the axe slow and heavy, whereas the machete was light and quick. If something jumped out at me suddenly I would fancy my chances of hitting them first with a Machete instead of a Fire Axe...

Go figure this debate would crop up 8 years later in this very forum :)

Incidently if anyone else suggests a perk to be added I'm so gonna put forward the Jason Voorhees Perk:

-50% movement speed
+800% Machete damage
+200% Melee weapon damage
+10000% Health
Fear Aura
FF On :)

Reactions: Starsky and Aze
Upvote 0
More beserkers should be using the bloody chainsaw.

Only advantage a Katana has at the moment is Movement speed.

Chainsaw primary annihilates trash zeds, popping their heads off real quick with minimal effort, then that Alt fire is absolute carnage on Gorefasts, Sirens and Scrakes. Axe is better on Scrakes though :p

But yeah, I've occasionally tried that loadout. On a high level beserker that spawns with a chainsaw, it's VERY affordable and quite effective.

And the Machete is quite simply, 100% manly. Anybody who can pull off consistent kills and good performance is a total badass. The movie was amazing too!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it needs more meds standing behind zerkers being douche team :rolleyes:
I don't think that makes any sense :confused:

But I'll enclose this image if it's any help

36360_10150206374520526_846625525_13313541_1910098_n.jpg

On Hard, before the Chainsaw got buffed in the balance. :cool:
There was a commando in there too(pub server) keeping trash from coming through the window, but he ran off to solo Patriarch and got annihilated. When Patty reached us, he seriously lasted about 8 seconds and got straight rushed. Chainsaw is a beast.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I use the Chainsaw instead of the Katana if I'm not gonna be moving much. But I've tried and tried, but can't replace the Katana with the Machete. It's better than the Machete in every way.

Once you get past Hard, the Axe is pretty much required for Scrakes, though...and I like having a ranged option, so usually stick with the Katana/Axe/LAR combo.

Upvote 0
Only advantage a Katana has at the moment is Movement speed.

Also weight and the ability to decap stuff with 1 hit instead of ~2, not being hugged by headless enemies and consequently being able to actually run through enemies.
If you have a saw, a clot actually is an obstacle. A ~.5 cecond obstacle but still an obstacle.
You can't march through an ocean of clots.

All chainsaw berserkers I have seen so far were nothing but damage sponges, more of a liability than actually useful.
You are a lot more prone to taking damage while carrying it and there aren't really enough advantages that you won't get from the katana.
I wish they'd fix the chainsaw so it's the thing we know from the beta: An actually viable alternative to the katana.
Just give it barely enough damage to decap trash with 1 primary hit and that's it. That's the barrier between "meh" and "awesome" imo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Katana is actually better. Cos you move REALLY fast, making you able to cut one clots head while running trough 6+ clots without taking damage. With chainsaw, it is impossible. You need to stop and fight.

And I dont see using katana to hold a doorway more difficult than chainsaw. I can back off and switch to fire axe anytime I need to, and again, without taking damage. Chainsaw just dont kill trash fast enough.

An most importanly, katana can stun gorefasts with primary fire. In narrow hallways, you can stun those two gorefast leading the swarm (instead of aim for the head to kill them) and back off to do anything you need and then kill them while chainsaw take too much time to do two alt-fire dont give you speed boost.

Upvote 0
You can't march through an ocean of clots.
I can :cool:

Well, there's 1 low-level Medic healing 3 Berzerkers AND the katana-wielding Berserker took just as much damage as the others, so ...
How does this confirm your assertion ?
He only went Katana for Patriarch and it was useless. From about wave 4, we just had Chainsaws, nothing more. Medic was consistently busy healing, so contributed little/no damage. Chainsaw is a beast.

Upvote 0

When a change is made and people are complaining, someone will post this.

If someday they nerf everything to ground that you can only use knife and 9mm to play, people will complain they cant win with 9mm + knife. What if someone come out and say "I can"? Does this make the change is fine?

The chainsaw in beta is GREAT. And no one have problem with that. Suddenly it takes double hits to kill trash. And just because it is an "official" change, someone will defend it at all cost.

Upvote 0