• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Picking up armed grenades

Hope it's included, along with the ability to jump on a grenade to save your teammates, but it's hardly a gamebreaker if it's not. Personally I don't think this will result in players running towards grenades to pick them up (LOL), knowing that they would have literally like NO time to "aim" it. So it'd be a pointless risk. That said, having the ability to do it when it lands right next to you would be handy (and realistic).

But def NO GRENADE INDICATOR WHATSOEVER. Many a time I've gotten like 4 kills by dropping a grenade in a trench or just dropping one behind some dudes in a room while I run out into the next and wait for it to go off. I don't want some indicator giving my ninja away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I highly doubt being able to pick up grenades will lead to people racing for the nearest live grenade to throw. If anyone here has ever played DoD, you would know that people rarely pick up enemy grenades. It only happens in dire situations where there is absolutely no escape, you might as well throw it back since you will definitely be dead if you don't. Yet, those time when you do manage to return an enemy grenade, it's just awesome.

Exactly!

Upvote 0
I suppose it could work if we've a reasonable pickup radius(Not too large). Also id be against any sort of grenade indicator as that would seriously jeopardize the immersion and realism.

There should be an indicator just like there's an indication for picking up any weapon lying on the ground. But yes, there mustn't be a grenade danger indicator!

Upvote 0
Of course there should be a grenade indicator. Without the technology to make the in game sound near reality, we need to have an indicator to make the game more realistic. The indicator is simply an aid to what you would know in reality. That a grenade just bounced into the trench. Also in reality, one of your mates likely would see the grenade if you didnt and yell it. You'd think no indicator would be more realistic, but it's not...Indicator is more real.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Of course there should be a grenade indicator. Without the technology to make the in game sound near reality, we need to have an indicator to make the game more realistic. The indicator is simply an aid to what you would know in reality. That a grenade just bounced into the trench. Also in reality, one of your mates likely would see the grenade if you didnt and yell it. You'd think no indicator would be more realistic, but it's not...Indicator is more real.

Naaaah... I prefer it as it is right now in Ost, without any indicator at all. And when you play a match where even 1 death might alter the course of the game, you have vent or TS or whatever. For pub games, I prefer dying a couple of times more than having an indicator. Not to mention that after a while you stop dying from nades you didn't "hear" because you pretty much know when and where to expect them. Nades in Ost are a blast for all newcomers (myself included) but after a while you familiarize with the maps and they almost never caught you unguarded. Now the fact that it takes a couple of precious seconds to get your stupid avatar running unlike in real life where you would give every inch of your strength to run away is another matter...

Upvote 0

Why the hell would you know that if it popped in behind you/to either side, out of your peripheral? A grenade hitting the ground isn't going to make a distinct sound (it's metal hitting dirt/metal/mud/whatever). There should be no grenade indicator. If you see one land in front of you, that's indication enough.

Upvote 0
Without the technology to make the in game sound near reality, we need to have an indicator to make the game more realistic.

Do we also an indicator to show where enemies are as boot with hobnails and\or heel irons tends to make hell of alot more noise than modern Corcorans and such? After all, it's realistic since all the **** your ears are experiencing on the frontline is very difficult thing to replicate properly in a game and well, they make crapload of noise. Far more than any grenade does when it lands even on loose steel plate.

Let's add extra indicator for leather squeaking and field gear rattling, especially if enemy is trying to sneak up on you. In the name of realism.

Upvote 0
RO with hot potato grenades:

- Would need to be done in a streamlined way so it's at least viable
- Would need to be suicide 99% of the time
- Would need animations
- Would rarely ever be used

I really have to ask -- What's the point? If you all understand that it'd be deadly to attempt and rarely attempted at all, what is the sense in including it in the game?

Upvote 0
Well for me the point is that many times a fresh pulled-off grenade landed right in front of me and I died because the way out of the room was too long and the time too short. If I had the chance to pick the egg up and toss it out of a window I could have survived.

Sure sometimes it's better to run rather than picking it up and it will be suicide.
Animations too shouldn't be a problem imo.

Upvote 0
The idea that being able to throw grenades back at the enemy will result in players diving to nades to throw them back is ridiculous. As already said in DoD, a far more gamey game than RO is, that it is rarely done I think gives a good idea it will not be turned into some gamey feature in a more realistic game like RO2. As long as there is no flashing nade indicator (ie CoD), and you have to look at the nade to pick up (similar to picking up enemy guns), the game would be fine with that feature.

Currently in RO if you are prone and a nade lands next to you (and not cooked), you are basically boned because you cannot get up fast enough and you can not throw the nade back or even away from you. It is annoying because in reality if it was within reach you could throw it away and save yourself, and if you could do it in reality you should be able to do it in game. Otherwise we should get rid of cooking nades because I would say the ability of some players to cook nades to blow up next to you head while running around in game is FAR more gamey than throwing nades back could ever get.

People also talk about not fearing death, true to a degree but with the new game modes that give you one life until an objective is taken, I doubt you will see people playing with no fear of death.

Last edited:
Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0
RO with hot potato grenades:

- Would need to be done in a streamlined way so it's at least viable
- Would need to be suicide 99% of the time
- Would need animations
- Would rarely ever be used

I really have to ask -- What's the point? If you all understand that it'd be deadly to attempt and rarely attempted at all, what is the sense in including it in the game?

New animations?
We will have the animation for picking up weapons. Its the same animation.

The more things they add to the game, what can be done in real life, the more realistic the game will be. Picking up armed grenades can be done in real life ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0