• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Picking up armed grenades

I don't think that'll be in the game.

Of course you will be able to throw back enemy grenades. :rolleyes:

Sarcasm aside, I really do hope we can throw back. Some argue that it's unrealistic or that a soldier would rarely do it. It should still be possible. Every second counts with grenades. If a 'nade lands right next to you and your squad, throwing it back might be the only way to prevent casualties. If you are pinned down by an MG and there is nowhere to run without being shot, throwing back might be the only option for survival.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't make assumptions.

It's a joke. I couldn't imagine why TWI would not include this. You can do it in reality and depending on the circumstances it can be the only option for survival. If I'm pinned down inside a building in a room with only one exit, I should be able to take that risk of throwing back.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8556788.stm

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's a joke. I couldn't imagine why TWI would not include this. You can do it in reality and depending on the circumstances it can be the only option for survival. If I'm pinned down inside a building in a room with only one exit, I should be able to take that risk of throwing back.

[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8556788.stm[/URL]

Yeah I get it...I've been able to comprehend picking things up and throwing them back since developing basic motor skills.

Don't assume it's in there, we've been given nothing to confirm it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Every second counts with grenades.

Usually in RO if a grenade landed anywhere near you it's bound to explode within 1-2 seconds and experienced thrower could pinpoint targets so it blows up almost on contact. Under RL conditions cooking a grenade is not always the best idea but since there is no danger of death or serious wound in a virtual enviroment being able to pick up grenades would be even more rare thing to do than IRL since basically everyone cooks their grenades few seconds, unless they're making a long range throw and even then a second of cooking is sufficient to make it possible to explode almost on contact.

Upvote 0
Usually in RO if a grenade landed anywhere near you it's bound to explode within 1-2 seconds and experienced thrower could pinpoint targets so it blows up almost on contact. Under RL conditions cooking a grenade is not always the best idea but since there is no danger of death or serious wound in a virtual enviroment being able to pick up grenades would be even more rare thing to do than IRL since basically everyone cooks their grenades few seconds, unless they're making a long range throw and even then a second of cooking is sufficient to make it possible to explode almost on contact.

Still, it wouldnt hurt to at least have the option for that special case someone does not prime their grenade, does it?
Even if it explodes the second you pick it up, you would have been dead anyways but at least you have the feeling you could have done something about it. You are less helpless.

Upvote 0
Still, it wouldnt hurt to at least have the option for that special case someone does not prime their grenade, does it?
Even if it explodes the second you pick it up, you would have been dead anyways but at least you have the feeling you could have done something about it. You are less helpless.

Maybe. But most players are going to risk it more than they would irl because they don't care about their in game life and the possibility of getting the grenade off would be badass. Problem is if grenade damage is done right the blast damage of a failed thrown grenade would cause more harm to the player and his comrades than it would if everyone just ran. So you'll end up having players dieing from grenades more often than not.

With that said, it's nice to have options and this could be one of those on/off features for the server to decide.

Upvote 0
We've had this discussion before...

My opinion is that it would change the gameplay in a not-so desireable way. People would be running up to grenades to pick them up... people would in turn master cooking... and on top of that no soldier in his right mind would ever try to do something so insane as to pick up a live grenade. Trust me, guys like myself would master returning enemy grenades to the point that you would see it happening 20 times a round (which is ridiculous), hence my point everyone would then master cooking.

/cue the guy who thinks 'well if I'm prone and one lands in front of my face I want to be able to throw it away'..

Upvote 0
This is the problem I have with a grenade pickup system.

It relies on the fact that for a system like this to work there has to be some sort of grenade indicator in place to let the user know that a grenade is within a "pickup-able" distance. This would kill gameplay scenarios where you just want to sneakily drop a grenade in a window or toss one amongst some unaware entrenched enemies. If they automatically knew there was a grenade right next to them, this would be case of the game giving the player too much information.

I would only be in favor of a system that didn't involve a grenade indicator, and would require the player to actually see the grenade in order to take action. As other people have mentioned, I'm sure in real life people would have ONLY tried to throw back a grenade if it literally landed right at their feet. Otherwise it would be much smarter just to get to cover.

Upvote 0

yes but lets not forget all the suggestions about grenades with differing fuses, some duds, and some other random fuse times. I think if that is ingame people will be a lot more inclined to not cook their grenades but just let em fly and tick off their last two seconds on the ground somewhere far away from them.

Upvote 0
I see a lot of speculation and what ifs here, playing devil's advocate etc...the argument that 'most players would just cook off so it doesn't matter anyway' is a weak one. Let's not make assumptions of what players will do, let's not abstract something in this way. Let's not say just because the risk is high that it shouldn't be done. If the enemy throws an uncooked grenade, let me take the risk if I want to. If I try to throw back a cooked grenade and get blown up, then so be it. In the right situations I'd like to at least be able to try, rather than stare death in the face with no options at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I see a lot of speculation and what ifs here, playing devil's advocate etc...the argument that 'most players would just cook off so it doesn't matter anyway' is a weak one. Let's not make assumptions of what players will do, let's not abstract something in this way. Let's not say just because the risk is high that it shouldn't be done. If the enemy throws an uncooked grenade, let me take the risk if I want to. If I try to throw back a cooked grenade and get blown up, then so be it. In the right situations I'd like to at least be able to try, rather than stare death in the face with no options at all.

Well said, I think it should also be added to this that a player should be able to dive on top of a grenade and shield those around him.

Upvote 0
yes but lets not forget all the suggestions about grenades with differing fuses, some duds, and some other random fuse times.

Obviously those would make it entirely diffrent story and far more reasonable suggestion ;)

Felix Ostheim said:
Let's not make assumptions of what players will do, let's not abstract something in this way.

It's not like we want to be that pessimistic about it, but it's quite common observation on almost any FPS game that allows grenade cooking, regardless is it RO, CoD or so.

Upvote 0
Ok, so you pick up the grenade and toss it back. You kill two enemy. Who gets credit? Does the original "owner" of the grenade get penalized for two TK's? Or does the guy tossing the grenade back get credit for two kills?

Next scenario: you pick up the grenade and toss it back. It explodes as it leaves your hand and kills you and a nearby teammate. Or, you toss it and, oops, two of your teammates have run to where you are tossing it. Do you get penalized for two TK's? Or does the original "owner" get credit for two kills?

--------

There is no assumption that players would 'cook' grenades. They do it already and there is no tossing back. That is a fact. If grenades can be cooked, they will be. If grenades can be tossed back, people will battle to be the one throw them back. And that alone wouldl probably result in more people getting killed than had they run away. (The numbers attempting to toss them back may be an assumption, but it will happen....otherwise why bother to implement the feature).

I say leave it as it is. Grenade = haul ***.

Upvote 0