• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Death Messages based on sight line

I was wondering what you guys thought of this:

In ROOST, with default server settings, you always get every death message.

What about a server option that allows players to see their death messages only if the person they killed is visible to them when they are killed? To perhaps extend on this idea is having the ability to see death messages if a teammate that is within your line of sight sees your kill happen if you did not (ie. grenades, penetration shots, etc)

In this way, blind nade spam becomes less effective on a strategic level. If you can't confirm a kill visually, then you should be faced with some doubt as to whether your target is down. So even if you nade a room, you need to be sure the enemy is dead by clearing the room.

To cite another example, say you are playing as a sniper and the enemy has figured out your location. They immediately start nading and shooting the crap out of your spot. With this new kind of death message, it is possible to slip away as the sniper and it makes the attacking enemy more cautious when trying to advance

hmm at first I was'nt sure of the reason to add something like this, after reading those examples I would definitely not mind seeing this in game. Or its simpler variant of not giving people any kill confirmation. which if you think about it is even better. If you are close enough to actually see on your screen that you have killed the enemy, you probably don't need the confirmation telling you what you already knew. It's also simpler then adding something that checks if that person was in your line of sight.

Aside: I would make this a server option with the standard setting for relaxed & HC realism to have kills not show.

Upvote 0
It does sound like a good idea, however i do have to place a sidenote.
A game does see things differently then we do, and one of the best examples of this is the ArmA series.
If you zoom in there, the game will sometimes think you see an enemy soldier, and the game's auto-report system immediately reports this.
Sometimes, the game will see an enemy hiding in the bushes, which you as a player had maybe not yet seen, but which gets reported anyway.

I doubt that will be a big problem for RO:HOS, especially if the target is already dead. But i thought i'd mention it all the same.

Upvote 0
Maybe only do a line of sight test for grenade kills then, since kills made with guns can be assumed to be in the line of sight anyway (but then again, what about blind firing?).

Thing is often when you kill someone you dont know whether you hit him or just about missed him. Someone is only dead when he drops dead.

Its better to obtain hit messages in my opinion than kill messages. As with a hit message you do not know that the target is dead or not.

Personally I do not like systems that determine what I would have seen, as they either tell too much or they tell too little and become useless. In a lot of games with detection systems of where enemies are people play in such a way that the detection system automatically tells them where the enemies are rather than people looking for themselves. That's what i'm afraid of with the perhipheral view indicator.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i think that if this cant get into the actual release they should TURN OFF the kill message in hardcore (or whatever they are calling it), when i play ro ost if find myself spraying at a window where i know a sniper is but looking for the kill message... its a hard habit to break.

AA3 did this right (probably the only good part of the game lol).

Upvote 0
Personally I hope there's an option to turn death messages and the scoreboard completely off. (or allow an option for the scoreboard to only pop up at the end... though I'd still like an option for no scoreboard period as I believe this could lead to greater teamplay)

LOS death messages isn't good enough. A lot of times when you make a long range rifle kill, it's hard to tell if they died, especially if they're in some bushes or something (w/o death messages or scoreboard). That's how it should be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally I hope there's an option to turn death messages and the scoreboard completely off. (or allow an option for the scoreboard to only pop up at the end... though I'd still like an option for no scoreboard period as I believe this could lead to greater teamplay)

LOS death messages isn't good enough. A lot of times when you make a long range rifle kill, it's hard to tell if they died, especially if they're in some bushes or something (w/o death messages or scoreboard). That's how it should be.

Agree. Relying on the death messages to confirm kills is not only unrealistic but bad for gameplay reasons.

Thing is often when you kill someone you dont know whether you hit him or just about missed him. Someone is only dead when he drops dead.

Its better to obtain hit messages in my opinion than kill messages. As with a hit message you do not know that the target is dead or not.
In a lot of games with detection systems of where enemies are people play in such a way that the detection system automatically tells them where the enemies are rather than people looking for themselves. That's what i'm afraid of with the perhipheral view indicator.

Hit messages would be awful, especially with the new penetration system.

I agree about the peripheral view indicator though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hit indicators , ala the small 4 dots that appear around your reticle in many COD games and BC2 are horrible I repeat HORRIBLE for realism play. Magically spray some folliage and get instant info on whether your hitting someone, spray at a thin fence and again get info on whether your bullets are hitting some thing...

IMO death messages turned off would be better, especially with the bleed out deaths, there would be times where you were SURE the enemy was still alive, only to find them dead. ( or the more pain full vice versa)

Reactions: Snuffeldjuret
Upvote 0