• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Death Messages based on sight line

Maybe it is just me who didn't think of the slow death in conjunction with the DM discussion. Depending on how the slow death will work, delayed DMs could feel much better than I first had thought.

Well, instant death messages should also get a positive effect with slow death I assume...
I think I like the slow death concept more now that I think of how it works with DMs^^.

Btw what about the option to have DMs that does not tell you the name of the enemy you killed? I find myself saying "MG down", not by "feeling" it was the MG I killed, but by seeing in the DM that the guy I killed was the MG guy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What I don't like of death messages is that the info given through this is changing gameplay from real life.
Imagine for example that you are on Berezina map as a normal rifleman and you see that there is a russian mg covering the wide area in front of the hill.
With death messages on, you shoot, know if you hit or not and will behave accordingly: either you run up the hill as you killed him, or you continue firing until you are receiving this info.

With death messages off, your behaviour and the gameplay changes. You probably won't see if you hit the mg or if you missed it. You might wait until you get confirmation that the mg is not dead, by him shooting on other infantry or you, or you consider that you hit him and move carefully up the mountain.

The mg also has the advantage then as he could hold fire until he is sure that he will hit you with a burst at a closer range.

Now think off how a moving sniper would profit of no death messages and how much more intense it would be for players...

Upvote 0
What I don't like of death messages is that the info given through this is changing gameplay from real life.
Imagine for example that you are on Berezina map as a normal rifleman and you see that there is a russian mg covering the wide area in front of the hill.
With death messages on, you shoot, know if you hit or not and will behave accordingly: either you run up the hill as you killed him, or you continue firing until you are receiving this info.

With death messages off, your behaviour and the gameplay changes. You probably won't see if you hit the mg or if you missed it. You might wait until you get confirmation that the mg is not dead, by him shooting on other infantry or you, or you consider that you hit him and move carefully up the mountain.

The mg also has the advantage then as he could hold fire until he is sure that he will hit you with a burst at a closer range.

Now think off how a moving sniper would profit of no death messages and how much more intense it would be for players...

A bit wordy, but exactly what I was thinking. IMO it would be the simplest thing you could do to slow the game down a bit, people wouldnt rush forward because "hurr i got an indicator I killed the guy!!" but would be more likely to take it slow in case the enemy was not dead.

(Also opens up the idea of bluffing and pretending to be dead then poping back up and hammering the enemy as they carelessly move at your position.)

Upvote 0
My suggestion of having "the killed guy's name displayed" toggled on/off server side was serious =).

As TWI has said already with on/off/delayed is already very good so it can't get much better. Removing the name of the guy you killed though could actually make the system even better I think. I would hate to see people with nicks ingame like 0O000OO0OO0OOO000OOO0O0OO if it would prove to give you an advantage ^^.

Upvote 0