• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Cigarettes for a Deeper Voice

Mister_Virgo

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2012
Okay, so, let me cut to the chase.

I'm 18 and I hate my voice. Actually, no ... I absolutely despise my voice. I don't care what my friends say, it sucks (not deep enough) and is the reason that I can't get a girl. (As pathetic as it is, I am almost 19 and have never even been on a date.) So, I will have to resort to drastic measures: Smoking.

Yes, yes, I know all about the health hazards ... I should know ... my grandfather spent the last days of his life coughing up bits of his lungs. I know they are addicting. I know all of the risks and health problems associated with it. I also know they are damn expensive. But smoking can have some wonderful effects on the voice. If you don't believe me, listen to Leonard Cohen before and after a lifetime of drinking and smoking (I can't legally purchase beer here in the USA at 18, but I can cigarettes ...). I also know a couple of smokers who have that nice, deep, gravely voice that only everybody's favorite toxic smokestack of cancer can give.

So, my question is, what kind of cigarettes would give me a deeper voice faster? Regulars? Unfiltered (are there even unfiltered cigarettes)? Cigars?

Also, don't tell me how bad they are and this and that. I know about surgeries and injections, but, sadly, this is the easiest and most achievable route for me.

Thanks!

I think your voice will still change over time regardless of if you pick up smoking or not.

Smoking for a deeper voice is one of the dumbest things I ever read, I have to advise against it.

As for girls, I have to say the ones who aren't interested in you for your voice are the ones you don't want to have...

Girls like the following.

An independent guy, a working guy, a guy who has his apartment, a guy who is nice but not desperate...
Most importantly, a confident guy.

I agree that the voice can be a factor, but not a big one.

DO NOT pick up smoking... Also note that these days, lots of guys are turned off by it... Well where I come from at least.

Smoking causes Bad breath, destroys stamina and endurance... Those are besides dying an early horrible death...

Don't be impatient, all will get better in time, learn to enjoy your freedom. Because once the relationship starts, you might just wish to be more single :p

FYI, I was single from age 19 to 25... to the point where I had very little self confidence regarding girls. That made it even harder to get one... but it eventually happens.
Now 29, 4 year relationship with a beautiful, intelligent girl... and ironically, I question if she is the right one.

I am not talking out of my butt when I say live for the moment, enjoy the freedom of being single, because sooner or later, it will change. We often want what we don't have ;)

Again, DO NOT PICK UP SMOKING !!!
I know what I am talking about, I smoked cigarettes and misc for 10 years and tried countless other "things"

Cigarettes are harder to quit than so called hard drugs.
(now 1 year clean of almost everything but alcohol)

It is more cost effective and healthier to pick up a sport like soccer/football or go to the gym and look extra sexy. (And girls adore fit built guys)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can tell you right now that any surgery or injection will be faster and cheaper than the amount of cigarettes you would have to smoke to change your voice.

I absolutely agree, but, alas, it is a lot easier and doable to go this route than pay between $2,000 and $5,000 for Thyroplasty or go and get testosterone injections. :-/ Besides, I also, sadly, don't think I qualify for Thyroplasty as my voice did drop during puberty. Just not as much as I would have liked, you see.

There are a number of exercises out there that can help deepen your voice. Nobody was ever born with a deep voice. It's something you acquire.

... No. It really isn't.

First of all, some people are just born with a super deep voice. I knew a 16-year-old who had a super deep voice. I mean, like, Barry White deep. No vocal training at all. Just a lot of testosterone during puberty. (Yes, I am a bit jealous. Not gonna lie.) As for the exercises, been there, done that, got the tee-shirt. Still not deep enough. And also, yes, it really is. Women are naturally attracted to deep, manly voices. Known, proven fact. :p

As for girls, I have to say the ones who aren't interested in you for your voice are the ones you don't want to have...

Girls like the following.

An independent guy, a working guy, a guy who has his apartment, a guy who is nice but not desperate...
Most importantly, a confident guy.

Most regrettably, I am still living with my parents. To be more specific, I am living in a crappy house with my stupid asshole dad who belittles me (especially when I am right) and a mom with an IQ of 70 who is more than obliged to ***** at me over the slightest thing. That, coupled with my less than sexy looks, bad teeth, height (6' isn't very tall these days, or, at least, it doesn't seem that way here) and the fact that I was homeschooled and, as such, have less than 0 social skills, leaves me with drastically low confidence. (Plus, my voice's pitch has a tendency to shoot up an octave when I am trying to talk to a girl.) If I had a deep, gravely voice, not only would it improve my confidence overall, but would help make up for the other shortcomings.

It is more cost effective and healthier to pick up a sport like soccer/football or go to the gym and look extra sexy. (And girls adore fit built guys)

I actually belong to a gym, but hell if I can ever get there unless I have a training session. I'm also not much of a sporty guy. Never have been.

However, I wish you the best of luck on getting off of Alcohol! (If that is what you implied you are aiming for!)

Wow. New contender for the most silly thread on the forums.

It's silly to want to have a good voice? News to me ...

Upvote 0
I'd say the moment where you have smoked enough cigarettes to make your voice sound deeper is also the moment where you start to cough so much and so badly you can't even properly finish a sentence longer than 10 words :p
I don't think that would improve the odds all that much to be honest ;)

In the end you just have to be yourself. Everybody has something that diminishes their self esteem. As somebody with horrible teeth, I can attest to that. But despite having two teeth in the front that are twisted about 90 degrees, and the teeth on the corner make me look like a vampire, seriously messing with self-confidence for a long time, it wasn't untill I grew a beard that girls seriously lost interest :D (but really, apparently people that don't know me refer to me as 'the vampire viking'... Why couldn't I be a freaking werewolf people? Cmon now...)

And by the bye, the girls that care less about what you say, and care more about how you say it, are not the girls you should really be looking for anyway.
All my life I have been led to believe that bad teeth are completely ruinous for your chances with the opposite sex, messing with my more important self-confidence, only to find out that it hardly mattered and girls seemed interested enough untill I ****ed it up in some different way :D ;)

Upvote 0
Most regrettably, I am still living with my parents. To be more specific, I am living in a crappy house with my stupid asshole dad who belittles me (especially when I am right) and a mom with an IQ of 70 who is more than obliged to ***** at me over the slightest thing.

You still have a roof over your head. Nothing wrong with living with family these days with the economy the way it is, take advantage of it and save money.

That, coupled with my less than sexy looks, bad teeth, height (6' isn't very tall these days, or, at least, it doesn't seem that way here) and the fact that I was homeschooled and, as such, have less than 0 social skills, leaves me with drastically low confidence.

Average height around here where I live is about 5'6, im only around 5'7 and I have lots of friends who are 4~-5 feet. For self confidence; you are who you are, the important thing is to not give a **** about what other people think about you(Not reputation, just things that you can't or shouldn't have change like your body.) Anyone who cares that much about your physical appearance is not someone you would probably want in your life anyways. Why spend money on things to impress people who wouldn't like you before for who you were? Especially at the cost of your health.

Social skills are something you gain through exposure, get out and meet new people or go do something that exposes you like a hobby, a job that requires you to be social, or a leadership class, etc. Think of it as an investment, you are solving the problem (Self confidence) instead of slapping a bandaid on it (Going through drastic measures to change your body)

^

Upvote 0
Honestly, don't do either surgery or smoking. You said you belong to a gym right? Use it. Squats are one of the best natural testosterone boosters you can do.

Besides, you are only 18. Believe it or not, your body is still growing. I didn't stop growing until I was about 22. Granted, I didn't put on height I sort of filled out, (face got more square, shoulders more broad, legs more beefy) and got a ton of confidence that I didn't have before. Also, yes, my voice got deeper, I don't know if it was from the gym or just the fact that my body naturally changed.

Seriously, I used to smoke. It is a huge turn off for women. If you think you have it rough now, try talking to a girl with nasty smoke breath.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about this more.

Upvote 0
4bxzY.gif

Upvote 0
I have refrained from posting because I just wanted to be sarcastic and say something really insulting for how silly this thread is but I am going to put on my sensible hat and try and be as nice as possible.

Mate, your issue is not your voice! it is your self confidence. Having a deeper voice will not change a thing about you as you will just find something else wrong and want to try and find a "quick fix" for it.

There are no quick fixes for self improvement, only determination and perseverance to become a better person BUT not a better person for everyone else's benefit, just your own.
Figure out what YOU are not happy with in your life and change it, as only when you are happy being you, will you have more success with being in a social environment.

Your voice for instance, isn't it better that people listen to what you say, rather than the way you say it?
Why have a generic manly voice and speak absolute garbage?

I don't have a deep voice as the guys on TS will agree, as they all thought I was going to be a really small geeky kid until they seen my pics.
I have bad teeth and don't consider myself to be good looking but I have never had issues with women because I am me and that's that.

When you speak to people, you have to put self doubt behind you and just be yourself. Speak to them, like you would speak to someone that you are comfortable with and try not to expect too much out of things.

There is no such thing as "chatting a girl up", only chatting to a girl and if you can't think of anything to say, then just listen as no one has ever learnt anything from talking.

Upvote 0
I've smoked for like 9 years, my voice isn't deep and gravely

I have been a smoker for 27 years and it hasn't made a single difference to my voice and I still get a little high pitched when in an uncomfortable position like job interviews.

Singing helps! even if you can't sing, it doesn't matter, not only does it smooth out your voice but it makes you feel better inside too.

Upvote 0