• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Series] The Walking Dead

zYnthetic

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Atlanta-ish
www.zynthetic.com
Premier tomorrow on AMC. Anyone else as excited about this as I am?
http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/

There a "which char are you" thing to entertain yourself with also
http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/survival-testhttp://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/survival-test
Given the training we should have gotten out of a particular zombie apocalypse simulator I'm expecting similar results.
NFuJP.jpg

If you're in the US you can watch here on Hulu. Episodes typically lag by one day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Panzer Meyer
Having read some of the comics I was really amped for this. Thoughts on the pilot...

+ Special effects were really incredible (despite some spurts of blood the realism was pretty impeccable). Best zombies I've seen.
+ Realistic looking sets
+ Engaging story with potential

- Casting of Rick. He's not too bad but he's not the ruggedly handsome looking character from the comics. He's rather small and just doesn't really come off as a leader. Better fit:
images
images

- Cop shootout...The cops have a huge drop on the criminals and outnumber them yet still manage to miss them for a full, what, ten seconds? Then when the first criminal goes down he's shaking all over the place like he's having a seizure, presumably pretending his getting shot repeatedly when no impacts are being made. And finally, Rick, who's talking up how he's the competent one turns his back on unconfirmed kills and more possible suspects to get shot a second time.
- Mistakes? 1) Rick gets shot just below his arm in the back and his bandage from the hospital is on his stomach. 2) Rick survives for an extended period of time in the hospital presumably alone (forget how or if the comic explained this).
- Rick's lack of surprise at the fact that there's a freakin' zombie plague. You'd think his first question to the black guy would be "holy **** are there zombies everywhere?!...wtf is going on?"...especially after he saw a damn zombie on the way over to his house. I guess you can explain this one as him just being in shock but it seemed a little strange.
- Slow pace and melodramatic bent. It will probably pick up next episode but it moved too slow for me and got dramatic in some ways that were almost cheesy. Don't get me wrong I want the series to be serious/gritty/realistic etc. but I'd like it to not get too dramatic and cool it on the overacting.

For all its faults I still greatly enjoyed it and will surely follow the series. I just am not sure I can latch on to the characters as much as I have for AMC's other shows Mad Men and Breaking bad.

Upvote 0
+ Slow pace, great for an opener. FX were badass imho.
+ Shooting a little zombie girl in the head in the first 5 minutes was a big WTF moment, greatly appreciated.
+ ATL
+ "Hey you dumb ***, in the tank"

I did not read the comic book, graphic novel or whatever you call it these days so I don't care if it is as good as the comic. I don't think it makes sense to compare books or comics with movies/TV anyway.

Upvote 0
I loved that first episode.
It has all the classic zombie movie stuff in it that we all know and love, but somehow this feels more serious and emotional than other zombie movies.

Up untill the 'hey dumbass, in the tank!' - part that is. Anyway, i will keep an eye on this. As far as i am concerned, they could do this forever, and i'd watch it faithfully every week :)

Upvote 0
My only con I can think of, is I wish they would have made the 'zombies' not like a classic zombie, but a more 'believable' kind. Not the clownlike 70's movie kind. But I guess they are sticking to the comic vibe.

Not the clownlike 70's kind but more believable? I just hope they keep them from running around like olympic track stars like all the remade zombie movies I've seen lately.

Reactions: REZ
Upvote 0
My only con I can think of, is I wish they would have made the 'zombies' not like a classic zombie, but a more 'believable' kind. Not the clownlike 70's movie kind. But I guess they are sticking to the comic vibe.

Are you kidding me? Shamblers rule!
To be honest i have to agree with Mr. Moe here. These fast infected-type zombies are in all honesty pretty damn boring.
The slow kind give you an inevitable feeling of doom. No matter where you go, though slow they are, they will catch up to you and to me that is survival horror at its best.
The fast zombies are just 'peekaboo'-filler horror, hardly scary, only when someone pops up out of nowhere which usually is very predictable and can be seen beforehand.
They feel very human too, and less like an undead zombie, which makes it totally undisturbing. Now, that half-zombie in the park crawling around? That is disturbing.

Upvote 0