• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mod: Voting Handler Fix

How do I make it so I can vote on game modes which are white listed and other which aren't whitelisted (and so, make the server whitelisted when a whitelisted game mode is chosen)?

I'm fairly certain that if the KF/Steam detects the non-whitelisted files in your /system/ folder, it will make the game non-whitelisted even if the players vote to switch it to a whitelisted mode..? Can someone clarify specifically on how to pull this off?

Upvote 0
How do I make it so I can vote on game modes which are white listed and other which aren't whitelisted (and so, make the server whitelisted when a whitelisted game mode is chosen)?

I'm fairly certain that if the KF/Steam detects the non-whitelisted files in your /system/ folder, it will make the game non-whitelisted even if the players vote to switch it to a whitelisted mode..? Can someone clarify specifically on how to pull this off?

Nope. If you're voting for a game config containing only whitelisted stuff, server will become whitelisted again.

Upvote 0
Nope. If you're voting for a game config containing only whitelisted stuff, server will become whitelisted again.
Actually that's wrong. I have noticed the ServerPackages listed make affect on whether the server is whitelisted or not. The best way is to maybe make two .ini files (yes it make conflict on ban lists etc) but this will be the only way. When a server is loaded it checks the ServerPackage files to see if they are or aren't whitelisted. If one isn't but not active in the game, it still turns whitelist off as it is still ran over a networked connection to say its being used.

Upvote 0
Actually that's wrong. I have noticed the ServerPackages listed make affect on whether the server is whitelisted or not. The best way is to maybe make two .ini files (yes it make conflict on ban lists etc) but this will be the only way. When a server is loaded it checks the ServerPackage files to see if they are or aren't whitelisted. If one isn't but not active in the game, it still turns whitelist off as it is still ran over a networked connection to say its being used.

I just tested and confirmed, you can switch between white and non-white using votehandlerV1.

It doesn't seem to edit the killingfloor.ini file

Upvote 0
ServerPackages=Core
ServerPackages=Engine
ServerPackages=Fire
ServerPackages=Editor
ServerPackages=IpDrv
ServerPackages=UWeb
ServerPackages=GamePlay
ServerPackages=UnrealGame
ServerPackages=XGame
ServerPackages=XInterface
ServerPackages=GUI2K4
ServerPackages=xVoting

This is my killingfloor.ini after using votehandler to change to a non-white game mode. No change with the mutators loaded

Upvote 0

How do I make the kfvote mod look at the other .ini file so that I can switch from blacklisted to whitelisted and vice versa on the same server?

Upvote 0
Just a pure guess but inside the Options=, put "ini=YourINIFileHere". Like I said, just a guess.

Why are there hundred of threads in the Dedicated Server forum detailing/asking the same question, COMPLETELY USELESS stickies and seemingly no answers anywhere to questions as important as this?

I really want to know how to change from whitelisted to blacklisted with a vote mod without having to run two separate servers..

Upvote 0
Why are there hundred of threads in the Dedicated Server forum detailing/asking the same question, COMPLETELY USELESS stickies and seemingly no answers anywhere to questions as important as this?

I really want to know how to change from whitelisted to blacklisted with a vote mod without having to run two separate servers..
Well this hasn't exactly been put into proper use as I gave up doing it personally. I never thought of this until recently as I swear I remember in UT it gave an option for the vote menus and this one is pretty much the same as the UT2004 menu so why wouldn't it work?

Marco, any chance on giving us a straight answer if my theory could work? Basically I mean the use of two seperate ini's switched by the mapvote for the gametypes.

Upvote 0
Impossible due to how the system works, once you start a blacklisted mod, the perks are disabled for rest of the game until reboot.

Well this hasn't exactly been put into proper use as I gave up doing it personally. I never thought of this until recently as I swear I remember in UT it gave an option for the vote menus and this one is pretty much the same as the UT2004 menu so why wouldn't it work?

Marco, any chance on giving us a straight answer if my theory could work? Basically I mean the use of two seperate ini's switched by the mapvote for the gametypes.
Nope, ini switches requires server restart ("INI=" URL line is a startup command only). Your best bet is to run a mutator to alter specific settings then if needed.

Upvote 0
Of course, if you add non-whitelisted mutator to ServerPackages in your server .ini, it will disable perks and that's how it supposed to be. But the question is "Why do you need to add those as ServerPackages, if you don't plan to use it always?". Just add them as mutators in the voting config.

You can join my server to make sure I'm right:
1. Start the game and type "open scrn.no-ip.org" to join the server.
2. Press "Ready" to start the game, then ESC -> Map Voting -> vote for for any non-whitelisted config, e.g. "ScrnBalance".
3. Then vote for the "KF (original)" config. Your steam stats will be back again.

Here are some rules to make it work:
1. Always start the server with whitelisted content only. If server started blacklisted, it can't become whitelisted later.
2. Don't forget to add "?VACSecured=true" to your server launch command line.
3. There are some mutators which modify default classes (weapons, pickups etc.) instead of inheriting from them. Those will screw up the game until reboot.

Mine KFMapVote.ini file:
Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Of course, if you add non-whitelisted mutator to ServerPackages in your server .ini, it will disable perks and that's how it supposed to be. But the question is "Why do you need to add those as ServerPackages, if you don't plan to use it always?". Just add them as mutators in the voting config.

That's what I thought until I tried it with hellfire and scrakes only, the mutators load but the specimens are invisible. They need to be in ServerPackages

Upvote 0
The package has to be in the ServerPackages to tell the client that this needs to be loaded and allowing it to be viewed over a network. It's a must have with custom content.

In that situation Mutator should have bAddToServerPackages=true. If it haven't, then you can write a small mutator, which will add those via AddToPackageMap(). In both cases server packages will be added only when mutator is running, so you can vote him off through the gameconfig.

Upvote 0