• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gunslinger Perk - Yes or No?

Gunslinger Perk - Yes or No?

• Total voters

brphoenix

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2009
S
brphoenix.deviantart.com
This is what we got after six pages of wondering what could be implemented had TWI decided to make a pistol-based perk.
The original thread can be found here
Gunslinger Perk

Weapons: Handguns, both single and akimbo.

• T1 weapon: 9mm
  • T2 weapon: Handcannon
  • T3 weapon: Powerful-hitter Revolver
Bonuses:

• "Standard" bonuses (higher damage, faster reload, less recoil...);
  • +X% ammo capacity;
  • +X% Higher damage during ZEDtime.
Niche:

• Versatility-based perk. Weapons that can do anything, from dealing low damage to a high number of zeds, to dealing a lot of damage to a single zed.Keep in mind that a Gunslinger will be outshined by perks intended to fit a role (For example, he can do some decent crowd-control, but a Firebug will outshine him)
Leveling:

• Level by dealing Handgun damage, and/or;
  • Killing Zeds during ZED-time with handguns.
Weapon Stats:

Tier 3 - S&W .500
Capacity: 5 rounds, 50 spare rounds
Reload: 1.5 second to start reload animation, .5 second per bullet (reloading one bullet takes 2 seconds, full reload takes 4 seconds)
Recoil: 60

Last edited:
No. This perk would never be included without sharpshooter getting seriously butchered, not to mention it basically IS sharpshooter just with pistols. Other classes do crowd control much better that this could and the increased zed time chance is a bit silly too. It would look fine from the pistoleers point of view, but for all the other players it would most likely get annoying having it go off every 30 seconds.

Switching between single and dual guns is the only use-full thing this would have that sharpshooter wont and even then you might as well just give the sharpshooter that ability instead, saves making a whole new perk.

Upvote 0
i say sure. alot the handguns to a different class since SS already has 3 weapons of its own. i don't mind SS being able to have additional headshot damage using handguns, i just don't think they should be able to level with them.

if it's essentially a sharpshooter with pistols instead of rifles/bows.....i see nothing wrong with that. they would not be able to do anywhere near as much damage as a SS would against high tier targets and they would not provide anymore clean up that other classes provide. it would fit that in between purpose of close but accurate support, plus it would help rebalance the SS perk to make leveling more difficult.

Upvote 0
I would support an idea of new perk specialized in small arms - dual pistols AND dual submachineguns.

If that could be done 1) without crippling the sarpshooter and 2) with adding some nice smg's, then I'm all in favor.

If that would be pistol-class only, stealing sharpshooter's bonuses, then no.

Upvote 0
Good idea, i support the new perk with guns ^^
Personnaly i prefer the second picture for the perk's avatar. :D (we cant good see the guns with the first picture)

sharpshooter : LAR, EBRM14, Crossbow
Gunslinger : 9mm, Handcannon, (new weapons)

I like it
If they did this they would have to let SS carry both xbow and M-14. Of course to balance that they would have to adjust damage and/or ammo.

Upvote 0
If they did this they would have to let SS carry both xbow and M-14. Of course to balance that they would have to adjust damage and/or ammo.

Why?

What's wrong with LAR and XBox, or LAR and M14, where the user has to determine which route they want to take in terms of gameplay?

As far as the new perk is concerned, I can't help but feel we have plenty of perks available, and the main focus should be balancing them in their current state (which I believe TWI is doing right now). Once I see how the revised perks handle, maybe I can make a more educated decision.

Also, the "more weapons" thing is really getting to me. The shop is ridiculously cluttered right now, and whenever I change to perks I don't usually play, it takes me some time to find what I need amidst the sea of weaponry currently presented.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vaecrius
Upvote 0
Maybe not the increased damage in zed time. I'd rather reduced or no turnspeed reduction in zedtime. That would be more crowd clearing and avoiding getting surrounded.
...maybe both to a mild degree? I support the addition of this perk and think that having both of these skills would make it a tad more unique/useful. Also, I think automatic pistols should be added but perhaps as Commando weapons; though they would be nice for this perk, a revolver (*coughS&W.500cough*) might fit the Gunslinger idea a bit better.

Upvote 0
Also, the "more weapons" thing is really getting to me. The shop is ridiculously cluttered right now, and whenever I change to perks I don't usually play, it takes me some time to find what I need amidst the sea of weaponry currently presented.

The shop auto-arranges weapons to show the perk's weapons in first place. Those are usually the ones you'll choose with your current perk, so always go to the top of the list to get them. As for the others, they're divided by their perk attachment, meaning melee are always together, SS weapons too, etc...

Upvote 0
We would most likely not need a revolver. The handcannon does just fine EXCEPT the ironsights are much too large and block your view like in call of duty 4. Where as in mw2 they made it more open like in real life. I would prefer if a gunslinger was implemented they fix this as well. Im not saying its super high priority but it is annoying at times. Anyways I would prefer a machine pistol over a revolver. Maybe a Glock 18 with auto/burst/semi switch or a TMP or(yes this borders on SMG) an mp5k as it is small and concealable and very pistol sized. But really if we went into small SMGs or auto pistols its an extremely large selection to choose from. From the beretta m93 raffica to the mini uzi.

Upvote 0
I voted yes, for the following simple reason: why not?

Sharpshooter focus is clearly on M14, Crossbow, and Lever Action, with pistols being too limited in either ammo or power to be the perk's star weapons.

edit: IMO, the shop UI is perfectly organized, capable, and ready to accept new gear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We would most likely not need a revolver. The handcannon does just fine EXCEPT the ironsights are much too large and block your view like in call of duty 4. Where as in mw2 they made it more open like in real life. I would prefer if a gunslinger was implemented they fix this as well. Im not saying its super high priority but it is annoying at times. Anyways I would prefer a machine pistol over a revolver. Maybe a Glock 18 with auto/burst/semi switch or a TMP or(yes this borders on SMG) an mp5k as it is small and concealable and very pistol sized. But really if we went into small SMGs or auto pistols its an extremely large selection to choose from. From the beretta m93 raffica to the mini uzi.
True, and while some may ridicule you for the MW2 references I think you have a great point in that if this perk does utilize machine pistols or- less likely- SMGs there is an absolutely enormous pool of weapons to choose from.

Upvote 0