• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Anyone else having problems with the spawns?

SgtShaftoe

Nov 15, 2009
I've had Killing Floor since before the content packs and I think its an excellent game. However, with the recent update, I notice that Tripwire appears to have adjusted the spawn distance of specimens in order to balance out the new weapons. I think this is a good idea that was executed badly.

My problem with it is that the spawns are now set way too close, and its making the game, which has been a pretty strategic survival game thus far, into a spam fest with some really cheap deaths. If I check a corridor to make sure I can retreat, I don't want a pack of gorefasts spawning five feet behind me once I turn around again. I'm not saying the game should be made easier. No way in hell. Killing Floor's charm is its insane learning curve and difficulty range. But I would rather be overwhelmed through some strategic error of mine, rather than have the game cheaply kill me off.

And yes, I know that the game has both line-of-sight AND distance requirements for the zeds to spawn, but they don't even look functional now.

My other, related problem is immersion. When the zeds were spawning far off, it gave the sense that the map was alive with zeds that were slowly converging on my position. Now that I regularly see zombies spawning not more than a few feet in front of my face, it totally loses that effect. I have video proof below of this, in case anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about, but I assume that many of you are having similar problems.

The biggest problem map seems to be foundry, with manor and biolabs coming in close second.

Please please fix this Tripwire. Keep the higher difficulties hard, but please dial back on the close-quarter spawning.

Here are some videos I recorded. I use this particular area because its easy to trigger spawns there, for some reason.
http://www.xfire.com/video/18e672/
http://www.xfire.com/video/192360/

Don't bug me about my playing skills or framerate, neither of those were exhibited accurately in these videos. You can easily see zeds that either spawn right in front of my character, or appear seconds after i have turned around.

I've had Killing Floor since before the content packs and I think its an excellent game. However, with the recent update, I notice that Tripwire appears to have adjusted the spawn distance of specimens in order to balance out the new weapons. I think this is a good idea that was executed badly.

My problem with it is that the spawns are now set way too close, and its making the game, which has been a pretty strategic survival game thus far, into a spam fest with some really cheap deaths. If I check a corridor to make sure I can retreat, I don't want a pack of gorefasts spawning five feet behind me once I turn around again. I'm not saying the game should be made easier. No way in hell. Killing Floor's charm is its insane learning curve and difficulty range. But I would rather be overwhelmed through some strategic error of mine, rather than have the game cheaply kill me off.

And yes, I know that the game has both line-of-sight AND distance requirements for the zeds to spawn, but they don't even look functional now.

My other, related problem is immersion. When the zeds were spawning far off, it gave the sense that the map was alive with zeds that were slowly converging on my position. Now that I regularly see zombies spawning not more than a few feet in front of my face, it totally loses that effect. I have video proof below of this, in case anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about, but I assume that many of you are having similar problems.

The biggest problem map seems to be foundry, with manor and biolabs coming in close second.

Please please fix this Tripwire. Keep the higher difficulties hard, but please dial back on the close-quarter spawning.

Here are some videos I recorded. I use this particular area because its easy to trigger spawns there, for some reason.
[url]http://www.xfire.com/video/18e672/[/URL]
[url]http://www.xfire.com/video/192360/[/URL]

Don't bug me about my playing skills or framerate, neither of those were exhibited accurately in these videos. You can easily see zeds that either spawn right in front of my character, or appear seconds after i have turned around.

I've seen this happen before as well. You kill a few zeds...start reloading then 4 clots drop from thin air grab you....a gorefast comes up and slice slice its over...that quick. God they are so hungry for my flesh.

Upvote 0
Yeah, increasing the max amount of zeds spawning at one time could be a good way to balance it. Just make it so they spawn much further off, so that it feels more like they are coming from all over the map, rather than just popping in wherever you happen to be.

And yeah, the worst annoyance is when you are standing somewhere at the start of the wave, and some zeds spawn in right in front of you. At least when you are in the middle of a wave, you tend to notice it a bit less (unless, of course, they are spawning in right behind you and blocking your escape). Its fine to have spawns all over the map, i just don't want them activated when i'm 15 feet away.

Upvote 0
This isn't just a problem on Foundry, either, I've encountered it on all the maps. Foundry is just the most easily apparent. Another good spot for this is to weld yourself into the church on Westlondon and stare at the telephone pole. Eventually you'll watch zombies spawn from behind it. Another neat trick is to weld the door in the long hallway outside the topmost trader on Bioticslab and just keep peeking around the corner. Eventually, zombies will spawn that shouldn't have been able to get there.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I've had this too and it's a little ridiculous. It's terrible on Biotics, Manor, and Bedlam, where zeds appear literally right on top of you, but it's bad on every map...

"This video has been flagged by the Xfire community as possibly unsuitable for some viewers. Please register or log on to verify that you are 18 years or older."

Seriously.

X-Fire has kids on it who play kiddie games like Maple Story and such. The video has heads being popped off, explosions gibbing, and critters being dismembered. I can understand why it's flagged as Mature...

Upvote 0