• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Zoom ?

I think ArmA handles it pretty well.

Hold RMB = zoom
Click RMB = ironsights

That means Click RMB once to go into ironsights and then click and hold to zoom in.

I think that's the best way to do it, only problem being people who don't like toggle iron-sights.

Personally I would prefer a separate button, so i hope that you can keep to individually bind it.

Reactions: barakas
Upvote 0
i guess the mousewheel already is designated for the adjustment of your sights. wouldnt hurt to bind these elsewhere, though, because you wont be fumbling around with that in combat, anyway..
i support the "zoom", since it compensates the unrealistic limitations of a computer screen.

Good point, but I would prefer you'd have to hit a separate button to go to "sight adjustment mode."

If you think about it, you can't adjust the sights when both of your hands are occupied holding the rifle. You would typically move your trigger hand up to the sights to adjust them. That could be abstracted by hitting the sight adjustment mode toggle key. That leaves the mouse wheel free for my brilliant idea.

Well, hopefully, it'll all be up to the player's preference.

Upvote 0
How about mouse wheel rolling? I personally use the number keys to switch weapons, not the mouse wheel. This would let you quickly scroll through all the zooms, including IS and scoped view if you have a scoped rifle. That would free up my RMB too.

That did cross my mind, only problem I have with it is it feels kinda funny using your impedicus finger to scroll, also using your index finger means taking it away from the left mouse button which isn't ideal.

Upvote 0
Which is why I personally hope that within bounds set by twi, players can slightly adjust the fov for the peripheral view, normal ironsight view and the zoomed in view. So users can make the 1:1 zoom work on their home setups.

I wholeheartedly support this suggestion.

In the original RO, when I got my widescreen monitor, being able to change the FOV to fit the aspect ratio was a huge boost to immersion.

Tripwire, please DON'T have a mandatory FOV across all resolutions and screen sizes.

Upvote 0
I'd hate to have to use a separate button...
As if I wouldn't need enough already. :eek:

I like Lemon's head idea,think about it guys....game already comes with plenty of new features,for example I got the G5 Logitech with 2 side buttons and in RO one button is set to deploy MG or add Bayonette and the other is to switch fire mode.

The keyboard is already preocupied with most all reachable buttons to my left hand with crouch,prone,melee,lean,pick up weapon...

Now to all of this features you have to add 2 more new ones!!! the cover system and the zoom....you can have them on the kwyboard yes its not problem,but the thing is you wont react fluid to them too many buttons,if I will need a seperate button for the zoom instead of holding the iron sight button on the mice,and for sure I will need another button for cover system,then my only way out is Logitech G700 gaming mice bcause it has 4 side buttons:1 for cover system,1 for zoom in,1 for deploy MG and bayonette and 1 for fire mode...

Only problem is G700 has a lil issues with FPS short movements if used cordless,when having attach the cord for charging is better but still lacks comparing to my G5,so hopefully Logitech will come out with new corded version of this type of gaming mice.

Anyways I support lemon's troll face idea :D

Upvote 0
I hate this kind of zooming.

One of the things I hate about the ArmA series. It makes the gameplay far less smooth.

I am ok with fixed iron sight zooming, but I don't like zooming out of iron sights with variable levels of zoom for a few reasons.

1) If you are running (usually not zoomed in), then someone who is standing using this zoom feature can see you from a distance much more easily.

2) It looks and feels awkward.

Typically, this means that you hear a bullet go by, but can not see anything... until you use the zoom feature. This just breaks the immersion and feels awkward.

Iron sight zoom may have its advantages, but I don't see the point of a non-ironsight zoom. No matter what is done, I'll still be staring at a 19" computer monitor. Some things just can't be modeled realistically in games.

That being said it will be in the game so there is no reason to discuss it further.

I think ArmA handles it pretty well.

One of the most annoying aspects of the series IMO.

But if it has to be in, then ArmA's button set up might be the best solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: LemoN and Fedorov
Upvote 0
Yeah I'm sure this came up in another thread about zooming...

...someone standing/sitting/prone, staring down their weapon sights is going to pick up something moving much faster and much easier than someone walking or running along - because their eyes are focussed on a certain area.

Someone running along being shot at is going to find it very difficult to pinpoint their attacker (if they aren't just obvious) without stopping to look.

Upvote 0
Well, i hope they make you turn off zoom ability off on some servers. And those who like zoom can play with zoom in different server and those who dont can play without it... Would there be any reason NOT to make this possible?

What's the point in putting out a game if you let everything about it be mangled by the masses? What game do you have left? Is there any identity or flavor still there? Are players going to stick around in a game that plays different in every single server? The answer is no. Freedom to customize is fantastic, but people ask for everything to be an option, and now you've got one hell of a loose game.

Upvote 0
What's the point in putting out a game if you let everything about it be mangled by the masses? What game do you have left? Is there any identity or flavor still there? Are players going to stick around in a game that plays different in every single server? The answer is no. Freedom to customize is fantastic, but people ask for everything to be an option, and now you've got one hell of a loose game.

Well as example there are hardcore mods in call of duty series and bfbc2... both are doing just fine. I dont see how this will break the game if there is option to turn zoom off, which really cant be very hard to make it work.

This will just split people to play servers which have zoom and others dont. RO1 is "camp-friendly" game, now when you add zoom.. uhhh

Reactions: Karabiner98k
Upvote 0