• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Zoom ?

My post was about the possible implementation of head tracking.

When you move closer to your screen, your screen takes a bigger amount of your eyes field of vision with the same image, effectively making things look bigger.

To compensate for making things look bigger and make objects at 50m ingame always appear to be at 50 meters distance in real life. You could compensate the in game fov based on the distance to your screen.

[url]http://youtu.be/Jd3-eiid-Uw?t=3m35s[/URL]

That video just made my day:D
Thanks for posting Zets!

Upvote 0
I'd hope for an option to disable zoom on the server tbh.
It's nothing I am worried about or so but I'll give my opinion about it.

Having been in the army were shooting targets from really far was common, I've a hard time to understand how this zoom feature could fill any purpose at all except for easing the pain for those who can't stand pixel shooting. You don't get a sense of zoom in real life(at least i didnt) and shooting from long distances in real life can pretty well equal to pixel shooting at times.. hence i think the original RO had it right even if the distances might not have been correct.

I doubt that TWI will allow it to be disabled, as it would allow people to change a major component of how the game feels. A lot of players would get confused and fed up if on some servers they could have zoom and on some not. I think for consistency stuff like zoom will likely appear fixed in the game (however you will probably see mutators come available).

However I do think that it should be possible for TWI to make the life as easy as possible for those that do not like zoom, by allowing to tweak their own settings.

For instance allowing people to set the:
- default fov (within bounds)
- the iron sights fov (within bounds)
- the full zoom fov (within bounds).

Next to that allow people how to control their zoom.
- Some people prefer to zoom in iron sights.
- Some people prefer to zoom only when they press a certain button.
- Some people want to quickly zoom on the go.
- Some never want zoom at all and prefer to use an average fov.
- Some people like a different mouse speed with a lower fov compared to a higher fov, as you might need to move your screen around more in a lower fov setting.

For instance I like to be on the go and quickly move, I would really feel restricted then if I could only zoom while standing still by going into the iron sights for instance.

I'm not a big fan of zoom based my experience trying out the ArmA series (to catch enemies on time you need zoom as otherwise they will at nearly all times see you first), but as long as you somewhat have control over it you can make it possible to come to a compromise that works for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey guys,

I have to admit that I havent followed the discussions about aiming in RO2 but I was watching the last videos released regarding the Prague event and this article about aiming in FPS ( in french sorry ) came back to my mind as I feel very weird about the Iron sight aiming in RO 2.

http://www.nofrag.com/2011/mar/22/37366/ ( complete article about different type of aiming in FPS )

I want to know if this has been questionned or a statement from a dev about the new iron sight aiming was ever made.

I will try to explain the concern.

In RO whenever you get the iron sight aim , there is no "freeaim box" which means that when you move the mouse you directly move the "whole" screen which makes it very simple and easy ( and very realistic according to the article ).

In RO2 when you get the ironsight on, there is a little freeaimbox. Within it any movement of the mouse will NOT move the whole screen

( see pics from article )

005a0b.jpg

I know that people complained a lot about the "zoom effect" but I havent seen any complaint about this decision which is definitely going to impact the way you use the iron sight ( as rotating will be harder and thus aiming after rotating will be harder too )

Any thoughts expressed on this ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
According to the competitive gaming podcast, the screen always moves at the same speed (was said so in the competitive gaming podcast).

The gun moves at around say double the speed of the screen, till it hits the free aim boundary. (assuming free aim is like hip shooting in roost)

As long as you play such that the enemy appears far enough outside of the free aim radius, you should be able to learn the radius of the free aim as the gun will then end up at that position.

Allowing you to snapshoot.

So it adds a bit of skill for hitting people, however the negative side is that its very hard to learn how to hit people within around double the size of the free aim circle. So lets hope that the free aim circle remains pretty small.

So when going into iron sight its probably advantageous to not go in iron sight while the enemy is in the center of your screen but at say double the free aim radius to the left or right of the target.

Added a picture for clarification.

Attachments

• picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
I like it, makes it feel more organic and less like your camera is bolted to the gunstock. Actually feels like you have eyes that can move.

Also, when are we going to get a game that leans your camera when you aim down sights? I've never been able to rest my chin on a gun and aim down sights, you have to put your face to the side right? So why is the camera always level?

Upvote 0
I like it, makes it feel more organic and less like your camera is bolted to the gunstock. Actually feels like you have eyes that can move.

Also, when are we going to get a game that leans your camera when you aim down sights? I've never been able to rest my chin on a gun and aim down sights, you have to put your face to the side right? So why is the camera always level?

It's one of those things you cannot say you like or dislike when you haven't played it for yourself. I can imagine it is 'easier' for the eyes when the camera doesn't have to move with every minor adjustment you make.

Also your second point is one of those things nobody talks about, however it would get annoying pretty fast I think:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
It's one of those things you cannot say you like or dislike when you haven't played it for yourself. I can imagine it is 'easier' for the eyes when the camera doesn't have to move with every minor adjustment you make.

Also your second point is one of those things nobody talks about, however it would get annoying pretty fast I think:rolleyes:

I'd imagine it *could* be annoying, but I'm wondering why we've never seen it with so many FPSs on the market.

Also, I don't have to play it to say I love it :D when I saw my first video of the game, and he was firing down sights with the free aim I was like "Woah" I didn't even know about "free aim" until months later when I played ROOST. When I heard it was the same thing for sights aiming I knew I was in love with RO2.

Upvote 0

I think your brain still levels the image even if you tilt your head to the side.
I'm pretty sure that if the in-game camera will lean to the right, it will be weird and you'll have to lean your head to the right too to be able to aim.

Upvote 0
The thing is that it is not very realistic at all and I'm surprised that no complaint or doubt was ever raised about this new system ( while people manage to complain about the colour of a piece of uniform ...)

I guess we wont know how it feels until we get the game in our hands.
Until then I will think that it's a very bad idea and a step back in gameplay for RO. I can see how it could apply to a handgun but not to a rifle.

Upvote 0
I think your brain still levels the image even if you tilt your head to the side.
I'm pretty sure that if the in-game camera will lean to the right, it will be weird and you'll have to lean your head to the right too to be able to aim.

Actually neglecting the tilt and just shift the image a bit to the left would work also. Instead of moving the iron sights the the middle of the screen, the screen would also move some bit the left, as if you bring your head to the right.

Would increase immersion but you don't have to tilt your head to prevent headaches:D

I see this becoming a standard in the future Ossius;)

Upvote 0