• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Zoom is a good thing!

Yeah, but in this game every weapon has laserlike accuracy. It is a known fact that the bullet won't hit what you're pointing at, especially at 200m.
It's a well known fact that if you zero an undamaged bolt action rifle to 200m and shoot it at something 200m away, you'll most likely hit. There's very little deviation when you toss some lead out of a rifled barrel at supersonic speeds.
In fact, chances are you'll even hit at such a range with an SMG.
It's amazing how RO1 seems to have killed all sense of distance for some folks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I totally disagree with you.
It destroys the agreeable and makes the game unrealistic.

The zoom is far too important

The vision should not be changed with the weapons.
The perception could be better (more detailed) but certainly not as big as most binoculars.
Or the zoom should be very very light and be automatically applied when the gun is in the shoulder.

Realistic combat ranges and human visual capability is unrealistic and "destroys the agreeable"?

Hokay. Problem is maps that are 100m x 250m, not the zoom.

I largely believe that the zoom is fine, however i will say that i think the hold breath zoom might be taking it a little too far. The first zoom is perfect enough for all the guns, but the second zoom is what might be taking it a little far for some people.

My honest opinion however, is that its fine as is.

Hold breath's main problem is the instant zero sway. It shouldn't work that way.

Upvote 0
It's a well known fact that if you zero an undamaged bolt action rifle to 200m and shoot it at something 200m away, you'll most likely hit. There's very little deviation when you toss some lead out of a rifled barrel at supersonic speeds.
In fact, chances are you'll even hit at such a range with an SMG.

What the hell has RO 1 to do with this? If you'd look up some documentories you'd see that many variables (e.g. wind) can "change the course" of the bullet.
I don't mean dramatically, but in this game every bullet is spot on, even with the pistol you can shoot people at 150 meters..
Plus you say it as well: Most Likely

Last edited:
Reactions: r5cya and Scarf Ace
Upvote 0
My verdict
Both methods are not perfect, but both points have their merits and can be defended from a realism standpoint. Both offer something realistically that the other method does not, and trade in another part of realism.

What method you prefer based on realism will depend on what you find more important, seeing things at a 1:1 size at a realistic distance. Or not having changes in the imagery. This in the end is just a matter of taste, and not so much that one method is absolutely more realistic than the other.
Having the zoom gives us the ability to actually engage at realistic ranges. I think that says enough really.
Zoom got an advantage of being able to see things at a realistic size allowing you to fire and shoot enemies at a realistic distance at approximately double the distance without zoom. However when you are zoomed in due to limitations of your screen you trade in size for less fov, this brings the biggest issue for me with zoom.
You could just zoom back out again. I've played a lot of Arma 2, and I think the limited FOV is no problem. RO2's system of combining zoom and sprint however does make it unnecessarily clunky.
Because both you and the enemy can zoom this means that enemies will try to setup at a range where they can see targets when zoomed in, but are very difficult to see when not zoomed in (the difference between full zoom and no zoom is simply too big for that, DH and KF in a sense allow both fovs to be functional). This forces you as a player when you want to take that enemy down you need to zoom in yourself. When zoomed in your fov is severely limited meaning that its likely that not all potential treats fall within your 45 degree fov, requiring you to use your very slow arm muscles to move your mouse to look around, and cannot rely on your very fast eye muscles.
In order to take out the enemy you need to zoom in. You also must look through the sights. Generally when I look through sights I get a bit of tunnel vision IRL. There's also the whole closing one of your eyes thing. I think that justifies the narrower FOV when zooming in this case.
This makes me feel like playing with blinders on, and gives me the same sensation as in most games when you play as a sniper. Essentially a big part of your mobility comes from your abililty to see a relatively wide area, take that away and you become forced to act like a sniper. Whether realistic or not from a gameplay sense I don't like games where the sniper class is unlimited, and in hos with the zoom the gameplay becomes very similar to those sort of games.
You only feel like a sniper because the max ranges in default RO2 maps are all too close. When it comes to avoiding the "sniperishness", in Arma 2 I can quickly zoom in and out to check on areas of interest, both when moving and when stationary. This allows me to keep a more watchful eye, making camping less effective.
While with a lower fov enemies are more difficult to spot than they would be in reality, a counter for this is simply making enemies easier to spot in general. In Red Orchestra Ostfront, characters didn't have self shadowing making them stick out more than in reality. While an unrealistic effect, as a result even when enemies were smaller than in reality they sticked out more allowing you to see targets at close to realistic ranges.
I strongly disapprove of artificially making people stick out like a sore thumb. That's just blatantly unrealistic and bad for gameplay.
(http://steamcommunity.com/id/zetsumei/stats/RedOrchestra/?tab=achievements I got the Marksman Gold award at 400 meters an enemy was roughly 1 pixel big at 1920x1080 but its possible to pull it off).
400m still isn't really far, and to see just 1 pixel at that range on such a high res monitor kinda proves my point. In Arma 2 (hate to bring it up all the time) you can engage a target at 600m with irons, provided the weapon is capable of that.
For general spotting...
...look around in realistic size.
So zoom is unrealistic and bad for gameplay, but using flaws in the way monitors work is good? Your sights are generally in the center of the screen, so it doesn't work when it comes to shooting anyway.
Judging distances with 1:1 fov goes better however, judging distances is not that important unless you need to know the actual distances. Since there is no map based navigation in RO you only need to know the distance for the bullet drop and how far you need to lead your target. The advantage or disadvantage of being essentially zoomed out say at 90 fov is that it feels as if your character moves twice as fast as in reality. (this is likely the reason why the movement speed in HOS actually seems too fast as when you sprint your fov becomes even wider).
Judging distances is useful the moment teamwork comes in. You want your team mates to be able to quickly engage, you want them to know where to look. It's vital if/when more longed range maps appear in RO2, and if people actually begin to work together.
Finally there is another point with the fov zoom which is specific to tripwire's implementation. You can only use the fov zoom when standing still and not while walking jogging or sprinting. When sprinting your head bobs in RO2 and the background changes quickly making it hard to focus on things just as in real life. Realistically the defenders have a huge advantage over the defenders, but being able to see things bigger isn't one of the defenders advantages. Which is why I think that like in other games utilizing zoom you should always be able to quickly go in an out of zoom and switch between the two states.
The best option is to make sprint and zoom independant and allow us to get some zoom when on the move (maybe not when sprinting).
Anyway this was my bit on zoom
Thanks for the reply.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What the hell has RO 1 to do with this? If you'd look up some documentories you'd see that many variables (e.g. wind) can "change the course" of the bullet.
I don't mean dramatically, but in this game every bullet is spot on, even with the pistol you can shoot people at 150 meters..
Plus you say it as well: Most Likely
It's often overly nostalgic RO1 players that complain about the zoom.
"Most likely" as in if you don't suffer from sudden spasms. If you're not in a storm, wind has virtually no effect on a rifle bullet at such close ranges. We're talking about air vs supersonic lead here. It won't have a noticeable effect until you pass at least 300m. Even then wind would be very easily accounted for.
Oh, and the pistol thing is obvious nonsense. They're not that accurate in RO2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

No that was the computer monitor.

Twis implementation forces you to play similar to how you play with a sniperscope in other games..

It's just true. It doesn't matter if you can hit someone at a realistic distance because the fact of the matter is that people looking at the exact same thing in game will have different perspectives. That guy might not even see you when, at least in a totally-perfect-recreation-of-reality, he would be able to see you just as easily as you saw him had he been zoomed in as well (or you zoomed out as well).

Upvote 0
I feel like a sniper because when you can zoom is very restricted. In arma you can zoom at all time whenever you want which feels much more natural than in ROHOS where you can only zoom when standing still.

But even in ArmA most of the time i continuously look around in the zoomed mode, in the wide fov mode you simply wont see distant enemies as they are too small in the zoomed mode you have a chance of spotting them. This essentially forces me to continuously play in the low fov mode, with all the disadvantages and annoyances of a low fov.

I only use the wide fov in arma pretty much when im just moving from A to B and don't expect any enemies or when indoors. Otherwise I just play continuously.

1920x1080 is the most common resolution according to steam stats, and currently most maps don't allow you to even see 400 meters straight due to fog etc. Especially since HOS is focussed around stalingrad with a focus on shorter range combat zoom doesn't bring the advantages as it does in say ArmA. Due to arma's vast scale with the primary battles being fought at long range there zoom is a real addition. With RO's very arcade close combat fighting the current slow long range feels out of place.

I wouldn't mind zoom is if it was more like ArmA aka available at any time, together with a slower close combat. Or I wouldnt mind fast cqc and faster long range. But currently long range is similar to arma and short range similar to a cod (but then more clunky). The difference is simply too big and doesn't feel consistent.

Upvote 0
I too like ARMA's zoom. Freelook and zoom while running is great on big open maps, ones I hope to see more of in RO2. Plus the hardly ever mentioned fact that you can also zoom out for a wider FOV. So, you have 3 states when not ADS; normal view, zoom in and zoom out. All accessible at any time. I think zoom is required to approximate eyesight in game unless it's all CQB, and if done right, does not in any way turn a match into a sniper campfest. Try using only ironsighted weapons in A2 and see how hard it is to pull off 300m kills, let alone headshots.....

I think the secondary (hold breath) zoom in RO2 is not necessary, I hardly ever use it and think it's too much. The standard, first level zoom is fine. I'd love a zoom out though...

This. I really think people will enjoy FOVfix when modders and TWI release open and larger maps. In ArmA 2 fighting at 300+ meters distance w/ fovfix but w/o fancy optics like ACOG is really challenging AND enjoying. There you really can notice the difference between various types of weapons (calibers) and their purpose. Furthermore ArmA 2 has more sway, but you still can kill a guy at very long range. You need to go prone, take some time to steady and calm your breath (you cannot shot accurate right after sprint because your character is heavily breathing), then take a shot. That feels very tactical and authentic. In RO2 you just stop from fast sprinting and ADS in 0.5 second, take a shot and run again.

Also RO2 has max FOV 75 which is very low and your vision feels very narrow. Even in Battlefield 3 you can change your FOV and set it to 90 for example.

ps. shame that RO2 doesn't have free-look.
ps 2. +1 to Zets posts many things in ArmA 2 feel and work more natural.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's often overly nostalgic RO1 players that complain about the zoom.
"Most likely" as in if you don't suffer from sudden spasms. If you're not in a storm, wind has virtually no effect on a rifle bullet at such close ranges. We're talking about air vs supersonic lead here. It won't have a noticeable effect until you pass at least 300m. Even then wind would be very easily accounted for.
Oh, and the pistol thing is obvious nonsense. They're not that accurate in RO2.

I'm not complaining about the zoom, nor about sway, but the lasers.

"
Wind has a range of effects, the first being the effect of making the bullet deviate to the side. From a scientific perspective, the "wind pushing on the side of the bullet" is not what causes wind drift. What causes wind drift is drag. Drag makes the bullet turn into the wind, keeping the centre of air pressure on its nose. This causes the nose to be cocked (from your perspective) into the wind, the base is cocked (from your perspective) "downwind." So, (again from your perspective), the drag is pushing the bullet downwind making bullets follow the wind.
A somewhat less obvious effect is caused by head or tailwinds. A headwind will slightly increase the relative velocity of the projectile, and increase drag and the corresponding drop. A tailwind will reduce the drag and the bullet drop. In the real world pure head or tailwinds are rare, since wind seldom is constant in force and direction and normally interacts with the terrain it is blowing over. This often makes ultra long range shooting in head or tailwind conditions difficult."

And if every gun was accurate like the ones in the game, there would be no need for newer and more accurate guns.

Upvote 0
I'm not complaining about the zoom, nor about sway, but the lasers.

"
Wind has a range of effects, the first being the effect of making the bullet deviate to the side. From a scientific perspective, the "wind pushing on the side of the bullet" is not what causes wind drift. What causes wind drift is drag. Drag makes the bullet turn into the wind, keeping the centre of air pressure on its nose. This causes the nose to be cocked (from your perspective) into the wind, the base is cocked (from your perspective) "downwind." So, (again from your perspective), the drag is pushing the bullet downwind making bullets follow the wind.
A somewhat less obvious effect is caused by head or tailwinds. A headwind will slightly increase the relative velocity of the projectile, and increase drag and the corresponding drop. A tailwind will reduce the drag and the bullet drop. In the real world pure head or tailwinds are rare, since wind seldom is constant in force and direction and normally interacts with the terrain it is blowing over. This often makes ultra long range shooting in head or tailwind conditions difficult."

And if every gun was accurate like the ones in the game, there would be no need for newer and more accurate guns.

Plus, I once saw a show on tv where they calibrated the gun's barrel with a laser. And what happened? The bullet did not hit where the laser was pointing...

Upvote 0
Plus, I once saw a show on tv where they calibrated the gun's barrel with a laser. And what happened? The bullet did not hit where the laser was pointing...

Ummm..... Spindle? Do you have any experience with rifles IRL? They're very accurate and unless it's really howling, wind and gravity have little effect on a rifle bullet at the short ranges (100-200m) we're shooting in game. Maybe an inch or so is all. Rifles do consistently hit what they are aimed at. Boresighting with lasers is just get the gun approximately on target, you have to shoot it to dial it in.

The guns in game are fine, what is not, is that there are very little influences on the shooter to affect aim. Like fear, breathing, inertia etc. We the gamer shouldn't be able to aim with laser like precision at any time we choose. Prone or with the weapon rested maybe, but not while standing, crouched or after sprinting, even with a magic "hold your breath button".

Last edited:
Reactions: Spindle
Upvote 0
The guns in game are fine, what is not, is that there are very little influences on the shooter to affect aim. Like fear, breathing, inertia etc. We the gamer shouldn't be able to aim with laser like precision at any time we choose. Prone or with the weapon rested maybe, but not while standing, crouched or after sprinting, even with a magic "hold your breath button".
^ This.

I've done a number of police pistol events in the UK years ago and it's pretty hard to hit the K-zone on man-sized targets with a .357 revolver (w/ speedloaders) between ranges of 10 to 25m throughout what amounts to being a mild obstacle course. At the end of the course when you're pretty knackered it's tough to even hit a man-sized target anywhere, forget the K-zone, at 30m unrested.

The one thing that RO2 doesn't do, arguably the most important thing of all, is situational aiming influence. (At least RO:O forced you to rest the weapon if you wanted to pixelhunt.) Being able to aim dead straight every time no matter what - bizarrely, even when shot and dying on the spot - makes every weapon a railgun.

Upvote 0
only thing i see wrong with the zoom, it shows you what you would be able to see at distance with normal eyesight. then you come out of it and see like a 75 year old man. people really aren't that hard to see at 200 yards! it's a compromise. it lets you see distance as you should and still be able to walk around afterwards without tripping over everything.

Upvote 0
^ This.

I've done a number of police pistol events in the UK years ago and it's pretty hard to hit the K-zone on man-sized targets with a .357 revolver (w/ speedloaders) between ranges of 10 to 25m throughout what amounts to being a mild obstacle course. At the end of the course when you're pretty knackered it's tough to even hit a man-sized target anywhere, forget the K-zone, at 30m unrested.

The one thing that RO2 doesn't do, arguably the most important thing of all, is situational aiming influence. (At least RO:O forced you to rest the weapon if you wanted to pixelhunt.) Being able to aim dead straight every time no matter what - bizarrely, even when shot and dying on the spot - makes every weapon a railgun.
those pistols really are op. i don't think that of any of the rifles or even smgs at the pitifully short ranges we have to shoot at. try a rifle at 300+ meters on ogledow. then they feel realistic. no more lazer at a real rifle range.
i do agree that they should have to be supported or your avatar crouched or prone to be anywhere near as accurate when you're winded.

Upvote 0
1920x1080 is the most common resolution according to steam stats, and currently most maps don't allow you to even see 400 meters straight due to fog etc. Especially since HOS is focussed around stalingrad with a focus on shorter range combat zoom doesn't bring the advantages as it does in say ArmA. Due to arma's vast scale with the primary battles being fought at long range there zoom is a real addition. With RO's very arcade close combat fighting the current slow long range feels out of place.

I wouldn't mind zoom is if it was more like ArmA aka available at any time, together with a slower close combat. Or I wouldnt mind fast cqc and faster long range. But currently long range is similar to arma and short range similar to a cod (but then more clunky). The difference is simply too big and doesn't feel consistent.

The issue with removing zoom based on these reasons though, is that SMGs would become overwhelmingly effective.

In RO1, with fixed FOV, the only way rifles where anyway effective was because SMGs had extreme level of recoil that made it hard to hit things past 50-75 meters (especially the PPSH).

So you had:

SMGs - Good to about 60 meters
Rifles - Good to about 150-200 meters.

However in RO2, due to more realistically recoiling SMGs, SMGs are good to about 100-150 meters, which means the distances rifles actually beat SMGs is far smaller than in RO1.

If zoom is removed without changes to SMGs, then the game will become even more unrealistic because the vast majority of maps will have no distances where rifles beat SMGs, and without zoom it is hard to even see the distances at which rifles would be more effective.

Upvote 0
The issue with removing zoom based on these reasons though, is that SMGs would become overwhelmingly effective.

In RO1, with fixed FOV, the only way rifles where anyway effective was because SMGs had extreme level of recoil that made it hard to hit things past 50-75 meters (especially the PPSH).

So you had:

SMGs - Good to about 60 meters
Rifles - Good to about 150-200 meters.

However in RO2, due to more realistically recoiling SMGs, SMGs are good to about 100-150 meters, which means the distances rifles actually beat SMGs is far smaller than in RO1.

If zoom is removed without changes to SMGs, then the game will become even more unrealistic because the vast majority of maps will have no distances where rifles beat SMGs, and without zoom it is hard to even see the distances at which rifles would be more effective.
i agree. and larger maps make that rifle all it should be, a long range weapon and the smg better keep under cover when not trying to clear buildings!

Upvote 0