• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Your first KF experience.

Arblarg

Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2012
Illinois, U.S.
I had just purchased the KF bundle right after 2011 Christmas. Twas a dark and stormy night on kf-abusementpark. I decided to solo it on normal.
"I so totally got this" I said.
As things played out, I in fact did not totally got this. I was relentlessly killed and eaten by a batch of clots on the first wave. From there on out, I vowed to be the best there ever was at floors.

To this day I still hate abusementpark...and clots.

I had just purchased the KF bundle right after 2011 Christmas. Twas a dark and stormy night on kf-abusementpark. I decided to solo it on normal.
"I so totally got this" I said.
As things played out, I in fact did not totally got this. I was relentlessly killed and eaten by a batch of clots on the first wave. From there on out, I vowed to be the best there ever was at floors.

To this day I still hate abusementpark...and clots.
^ This pretty much in every way. Down to the map and what happened. I still hate that map too, as even with skills under my belt, that place has way too many ambush points.

Upvote 0
I first got KF a few years ago.

I remember playing Normal solo Biohazard and trying to bodyshot clots with the 9mm... "oh god they're not dying OH GOD halp". Died on Wave 1.

Also I think I first played during the Twisted Christmas event. So I got annoyed when I tried to kill the "snowman" (Husk) with a flamethrower and it was a lot less effective than I thought it would be.

Also wondering why the ScrakeFrost was making chainsaw sounds, and why the nutcracker killed everybody.

Upvote 0
oh man my very first KF experience... oh jeeze i can barely even recall the time of year..

I believe it was the beginning of October 2009. I had just built a PC (my first PC) got it running with windows etc etc..and proceeded to download steam, knowing that TF2 was on it, but not knowing very much else about steam. I looked in my library and noticed a game was sitting in it "Killing Floor - X days left" i cant remember was the number was. I had no idea what it was, no idea was the number of days left meant (very obviously now i know it was a free weekend) so i downloaded it, not knowing what the hell i was getting into. I decided to go solo on Normal, the very first map i played was Bedlam (I believe this was around the time Bedlam was just released as an official map) and from the very start i absolutely LOVED the fact that there wasn't a crosshair, and proceeded to love everything about the way the game worked and felt just in that one match that lasted literally about 30 seconds.

If anyone has a story to tell about their first experience in Killing Floor that doesn't involve them getting slaughtered by clots on the first wave, they are either lying, played with friends, or soloed on beginner :p

Upvote 0
First wave ever in this game, with a little(?) bit less than basic knowledge of the game, I noticed I was getting cornered by the very first few Clots I had ever seen in my life on Biotics Lab. With that in mind, I had the genius idea of applying a technique that could be used to successfullly evade zombs in another game I played, which was to try to herd the zombies to one side by staying close to the wall, then running around the mob through the other side once it got closer to get behind it. Of course that did not go well, and that's how I died in 20 seconds of gameplay.

Upvote 0
If anyone has a story to tell about their first experience in Killing Floor that doesn't involve them getting slaughtered by clots on the first wave, they are either lying, played with friends, or soloed on beginner :p
NVEExport.mpg - YouTube

I don't think I even started playing multiplayer until I finished at least one map on solo. I remember also being slaughtered my first time making it to the patriarch. (I think it was on farm).

Great stories though everyone, I'm really glad I'm not alone in the being utterly destroyed part. Keep em up!

Upvote 0
It was during the Halloween event last year that I first played this game. An American friend of mine sent me a trial copy of the game, insisting that I download and play it with him instantly. Considering it was 1 in the morning at the time, and I was stuck with my horribly slow Australian net, I was more than a little hesitant to start the download. But download I did, and 2 and a half hours (and several beers) later I was online, connecting to a hard and long American server; running the map Westlondon. Naturally, I picked sharpshooter as my first class, as the idea of anything involving accuracy and headshots took my fancy.
I clicked ready, and joined the game in the fifth round. My friends dropped a lever action for me, and without so much as a good luck, I soon found myself face to face with a group of sword swallowers dressed as skeletons, 2 red and white things, and a giant pink rabbit with a chainsaw and a bad attitude. Needless to say I panicked, and ignoring pleas of "Leave the pink bunny alone!!!" I went for the biggest thing first, raging the scrake and getting two others killed in the process. The game continued until wave 8, where I saw Frankenstine accompanied by two chainsaw wielding Bunnies. By this stage, I knew that the rabbits were bad news, but I had no idea that the Frankenstine (Fleshpound for those who didn't realise :p) was in a whole class of its own when it came to hurt. After calling for help several times while backpedaling from the green behemoth in front of me, he suddenly roared, and started charging me down. I freaked, and started spamming into its body, and was nearly killed when it hit me. Silly me though, decided that Frankenstine must have stopped charging, not because it had hit its target, but because I had injured it. Sooooo, I kept firing...

Needless to say, the entire team wiped when a raging Fleshpound popped round the corner and took them by surprise :p

Upvote 0
My first experience was...well...pirated, since I didn't know about Steam or anything like that...and it was around 2009, when KF was just released. I gazed over the awesome red/black menu, selected BioticsLab and hit play. I absolutely loved the metal music, was surprised that it worked on an integrated video card (the ****ty ones) and then promptly got swarmed and killed by a mob of angry clots. And since then I've played my way to level 6 and beyond, and when I got a new PC in 2011 I vowed not to pirate any more games, I got KF on steam and I...had level 0 all over again. Welp, here goes the grind again!

Upvote 0
First thing I did was play beginner solo on biotics, but that's boring.

The earliest memorable moment I can remember was watching a single scrake kill around about 30 players on farm, I think that was before the patch that fixed the easy kiting aswell, so that just makes it even more hilarious.

Upvote 0
Must have been summer 2009. Me and some friends were looking for a coop game. Some day one of my friends came up with a pirate version of KF.
First round was on West London with two friends on Hard (we all were fps gamers so that seemed reasonable). One of us survived wave 1, we got wiped on wave 2.
The 3 of us fell in love with the game and from then on we spread the word.
On the first sale on steam, i bought the game.

Man... that thread reminds me of the good old days. The Hunting Shotgun was so f*ing awsome.

Upvote 0
I played the mod when it was still singleplayer. Admired the grungy artwork but didn't like how it played too much.
I tried it again when it had waves. I played KF-Manor against what seemed like thousands of super pale clots and gorefasts and my computer just couldn't handle it.
When I got a better computer sometime later (mostly for UnrealEd for UT2004 but also for RO:Ost) I tried the KF mod again and got hooked. Tiny community of fun people that cheered you on in the chat when you were the last surviver and you went at it with an ax.:D

Then the game came out and I liked the visuals a lot. The new clots and the super smooth if unrealistic reload animation of the 9mm in particular, but I was very disappointed with the direction the game had taken.

Iron sights on every weapon seemed to make the game too much of a zombie slaughter rather than a frenetic fight for survival, and screenshots of an upcoming super-update for the Mod version of KF had clots with penises and I thought that was extremely cool and hardcore. The retail game even had the Stalker nipples taped over. :/

It all felt highly polished but watered down. And the HUD was and is ugly and the New Wave announcement had a font that made it look like you were playing a video some hack edited in Windows Movie Maker, lol.

I grew to like the game though. Despite still not digging the excessive perk grinding. At some point I started making maps for it and that really brought me in and made a (reluctant) fan.

Upvote 0
I jumped in on KF-Offices on Normal back in 2009, and despite my status as a Lv0 noob, they threw me a LAR mid-wave at the spawn, and we all ran up together to the rooftop.

A few piles of what I percieved as total team badassery later, we won the game.

The community back then were really close-knit, you'd see a bunch of familiar usernames, and everyone was very helpful and positive towards each other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't even remember my first match on retail. But I am in since version 2.5 of KF mod.
These were awesome times, playing as dual expert until the big ones appeared, then switching to demolitions buying LAW and a huntig shotgun for the whole team in order to glitch up on cupboards or other higher spots the specimens were unable to reach.
That was fun fighting against 15 fleshpounds and scrakes at the same time without any super weapons, ammo was vital here.

This mod hooked me, so I had to buy the retail version. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First time I ever played KF was back when a friend gave me a gift pass. Bedlam was my first map and in the first wave I was murdered by clots. Good times... I will be honest. Back then KF didn't appeal to me at all. Now though I look back and regret even thinking this game was bad.

I didn't buy KF until the potato event. And now I learned that when I play bedlam I go firebug.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can either go with the "friend invites me to play for free weekend two years ago" reaction of "WHATTHEF*CKWHATTHEF*CKWHATTHEF*CK!!!" as my 10fps PC got me killed over and over, or the actual buying of the game for this year's halloween so my roommate in Norway and I had stuff to play; he knew what to actually do to survive so I felt like a bit of a badass after a few games. And calling people scrubs after 1 hour.

Upvote 0