• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Three new videos (German/Russian and mutliplayer).

I.e. (pardon approximations of phonetic spelling)
Nyet Stumach! Brashdelayananeshde! (No retreat!)
Не отступать! Постреляем нa немцев! Nyet otstupat'! Postrelyayem na nyemtsev (Don't retreat, shoot at the Germans)
Fashich! (Grenade!)
Ложись! Lozhis'! (Get down)
Ygut Nyet! (No!)
Никак нет! Nikak nyet! (No way)
Spasiba! (Thanks)
Спасибо! Sapasibo! (Thanks)
"Yesshuh" (Yes sir!)
Есть! Yest'! (Okay/Yes)
Attakuya mabyen! (Attack x position!)
Атакуем наверх! Atakyuyem navyerkh! (This is harder for me, but looks like "attack upstairs")
Sorry, grammar nazi here :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikita
Upvote 0
But having more or less variation on the other team shouldn't affect the language that your own team is speaking, the issue is not the other team, is your own.

If the memory is a problem, couldn't there be an option in the config menu about it, something that can only be selected if the computer has enough RAM?

The engine loads the entire sound package at once. So if you replace the reduced size enemy speech (Russian Russian, German German) packages with full size enemy speech packages, then you have two full sized speech packages loaded all the time instead of just one.

We could potentially implement an option at some point for people with lots of memory. But it also adds an extra level of complexity for implementation, which we don't have time for. It is already super complex to play english on one players machine, and german/russian on another depending upon what someone's team is.

Upvote 0
No Worries guys the ragdoll shown in the vids is not complete :) As for the Battle-chatter the video didn't illustrate it well but it really does add a lot to the immersion factor of the game. When you hear and understand what your team is saying you can understand whats happening on the battlefield, also on the opposing side you'll hear them speak their native language which makes them stick out as the enemy. It really feels cool like this. You don't have to worry with your avator giving away your position either because the battle chatter only happens when your in a group with other soldiers so you wont find yourself sneaking up or hiding alone somewhere then out of no where start talking and giving away your position. there's over 3000 lines total, it's totally dynamic. Officers and Hero's even say different things. We've also created 3 different types of soldier per side that say totally different lines depending on situations. For example in low morale one soldier might start panicking from the sight of seeing his teammates dying around him while another soldier will keep his calm and say things to help try and keep his teammates alive.
Here's just a small list of situations that will trigger totally different lines
-Getting shot at
-being pinned down
-killing enemies
-seeing teammates die
-capturing objectives
-losing objectives
-suppressing an enemy
-getting suppressed
-incoming artillery
-not seeing enemies for awhile
-being injured

the list goes on, and all this changes depending on how the battle is going for your and the enemies team.

Upvote 0
No Worries guys the ragdoll shown in the vids is not complete :) As for the Battle-chatter the video didn't illustrate it well but it really does add a lot to the immersion factor of the game. When you hear and understand what your team is saying you can understand whats happening on the battlefield, also on the opposing side you'll hear them speak their native language which makes them stick out as the enemy. It really feels cool like this. You don't have to worry with your avator giving away your position either because the battle chatter only happens when your in a group with other soldiers so you wont find yourself sneaking up or hiding alone somewhere then out of no where start talking and giving away your position. there's over 3000 lines total, it's totally dynamic. Officers and Hero's even say different things. We've also created 3 different types of soldier per side that say totally different lines depending on situations. For example in low morale one soldier might start panicking from the sight of seeing his teammates dying around him while another soldier will keep his calm and say things to help try and keep his teammates alive.
Here's just a small list of situations that will trigger totally different lines
-Getting shot at
-being pinned down
-killing enemies
-seeing teammates die
-capturing objectives
-losing objectives
-suppressing an enemy
-getting suppressed
-incoming artillery
-being injured

the list goes on, and all this changes depending on how the battle is going for your and the enemies team.

Thanks for the clarification Zerisus, :)

Btw, do you hear your own characters battle chatter if he screams grenade?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
-Getting shot at
-being pinned down
-killing enemies
-seeing teammates die
-capturing objectives
-losing objectives
-suppressing an enemy
-getting suppressed
-incoming artillery
-being injured

Damn, looks really sweet! Can't wait to play in a full server :IS2:

Upvote 0
I think you guys have a vision in your head that the voices work just like Ostfront. It is not only just voice commands that you hear from your team. There is an entire battle chatter system with over 3000 lines that the soldiers around you will automatically say based on what is occurring (in single player AND multiplayer). This makes the game a LOT more immersive. The battle chatter is not subtitled, only the commands are. So when the guy next to you shouts "grenade" because a grenade landed at your feet, or shouts "sniper, get down" because he sees a sniper shooting at you, its important from a gameplay standpoint that you understand what they are saying.

On the memory thing, the enemy voice packages have far less variations than your teams language to save on memory. Thus you can't just drop them in. Our goal is to have the game run in "high" settings in under 2GB for people still using Windows XP (or poeple running vista/win7 with 2 GB of ram, which is a surprising amount of poeple). If you swap to the full German/Russian for BOTH teams at the same time, it takes you way over 2GB of ram.

Regarding the music in those videos, I don't know what it is. It's not Sam's music for the game as far as I know. I think it's just some music that Gametrailers threw on there. The way they were recording the audio wasn't picking up the game sound very well, so the music probably didn't come across in their recording. Frankly' Sam's tracks for the game are WAY better than this.

I've said this in another thread and I'll say it here - you guys don't have to agree with everything we do, but you do have to be respectful while doing it on these forums. Some guys are bordering on getting banned (skittles I'm looking at you).

Thank you I agree with the chatter and all the tripwire team has done in regards to the game! It makes sense to understand what your team is saying!

Upvote 0
Now the question is, will the panicking soldier have more of an increase in received suppression than the calm one ?

Anyway, that's quite good to hear, I just hope there won't be any kind of censoring in words, 'cause I think everyone would want to hear soldiers actually swearing, as I don't think they would pay attention to their words

Upvote 0
I just saw that Both sides will speak English for their Team mates? Are you kidding me? How is that more realistic? In all fairness, what were ye high when you thought that that was more realistic? This game is just getting more and more silly as it nears release day.
Ramm literally just said that the enemy team will speak German/Russian.

Upvote 0
Now the question is, will the panicking soldier have more of an increase in received suppression than the calm one ?

Anyway, that's quite good to hear, I just hope there won't be any kind of censoring in words, 'cause I think everyone would want to hear soldiers actually swearing, as I don't think they would pay attention to their words

No this wont effect your ability to do anything better or worse then the guy saying different lines and staying calm. It's only for immersion. It makes you feel like your in a real battle though ;)

Upvote 0
The engine loads the entire sound package at once. So if you replace the reduced size enemy speech (Russian Russian, German German) packages with full size enemy speech packages, then you have two full sized speech packages loaded all the time instead of just one.

We could potentially implement an option at some point for people with lots of memory. But it also adds an extra level of complexity for implementation, which we don't have time for. It is already super complex to play english on one players machine, and german/russian on another depending upon what someone's team is.

JG so what are we looking into memory wise for someone to be able to have both as an option to turn off or turn on? 4GB/6GB/8GB ?

Game is looking good,keep up the good work.

Upvote 0
On the memory thing, the enemy voice packages have far less variations than your teams language to save on memory. Thus you can't just drop them in. Our goal is to have the game run in "high" settings in under 2GB for people still using Windows XP (or poeple running vista/win7 with 2 GB of ram, which is a surprising amount of poeple). If you swap to the full German/Russian for BOTH teams at the same time, it takes you way over 2GB of ram.
Still it doesn't mean that you need to load both full sets at the same time, just to get the proper languages.
So you play as German soldier, you get full German set, in German, and reduced Russian set. And the opposite when playing as Soviet.

Even if there was no other way to get native voices other than loading the full sets, there could be an option only available if your computer has enough memory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just saw that Both sides will speak English for their Team mates? Are you kidding me? How is that more realistic? In all fairness, what were ye high when you thought that that was more realistic? This game is just getting more and more silly as it nears release day.

Did u even read the last 3 TWI staff posts? Incoming ski mask trolls.

Upvote 0

I understand what you say here, but I don't think we are talking about the same things. My post wasn't meant to be about having the enemy use a full package. What I meant is to have the option so my team, using the full original package instead of the full English one, while keeping the enemy using their reduced package. The amount of memory should be the same.

Upvote 0