• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Three new videos (German/Russian and mutliplayer).

2) I heard English?
- We had this debate internally. What is more realistic, understanding what the soldiers from your nation are saying, or not understanding what the guy on your side standing right next to you is saying? Well for us the answer was simple - it is way MORE realistic to understand what your comrades are saying. So you always hear your team speaking accented English (or another language if the game is localized into your native language) and the enemy speaks German or Russian. There will not be an option to turn this off, as we discovered it will take up too much memory to do this (there is a LOT of dynamic battle chatter, even in MP).
For SP this is fine because people wouldn't understand what to do for each mission. But, in MP voice commands in native languages are a must.

Upvote 0
For SP this is fine because people wouldn't understand what to do for each mission. But, in MP voice commands in native languages are a must.

It is not a must.

If there are English voice commands, it will not affect your experience in any substantive way. It's just a cosmetic thing, and not that big of an issue.

Upvote 0
They have done alot of stuff to this game to make it kiddy friendly, english voices is one of them and oversized text like something out of a childrens book is another, we are going to have to get used to the fact they have potentially ruined a good thing and decide for sure come release...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
seems to me your used to the rag doll physics where they fly 10 feet in the air after getting shot in the feet. To me the death animations looks great and combine both rag roll and animations for slow death very nicely.

Or I am used to the rag doll in Ostfront, where the bodies looked like they had weight, and crumbled. In this, they look like a loaded spring that shoots back to an awkward spread eagle type body position. There are even a couple moments in the videos where a guy is crouched and gets shot and starts to fall forward, then he defies gravity and shoots backward and lands on his back spread eagle.

All I know is that they can be batter and have been better in the past.

Upvote 0
But... we could understand it with subtitles. ><

Anyway, I wouldn't complain if it was optional... why can't it be optional? taking too much memory? if the option is client-side, then my computer would load the original language instead of the English one, and it would be the same amount of memory. ><
Indeed, the memory argument doesn't make any sense at all.

And these sounds are going to be there anyway for the enemy hear you speaking in them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Gotta say it looks really good, loved seeing the picture on the wall falling due to gunfire :D

Just about everything looks good so I will only comment of a couple of concerns that I noticed.

- Very minor, but the HUD seems way in your face. I say very minor because I know you can play the different modes or customize how much HUD a player has in order to minimize it.

- Watching the single player, the AI seems to be doing its job, but at the same time they always seem to be on the move when you think that they would either be staying behind cover (defense) or advancing from cover to cover. Its as if the AI soldiers have an anti-camping chip implanted in them lol. I guess that is a wait and see thing from such limited footage.

All in all, great job!
Yeah that was kinda what I was trying to say regarding the AI movement. For a team that's supposed to be defending, those Germans sure are running around outside the objectives alot. It simply doesn't have the "look" of a full fledged battle, which is enhanced by the fact that the player always looks alone, rather than working with his teammates. The latter could probably solved simply by having your squad ordered to "follow" by default right from the start of the SP missions.

EDIT:
And just to clarify my earlier point -- I DON'T like the fact that we can't at least have the option of switching between foreign and native voice commands. I agree with Moe in that it doesn't take too long to figure out what each voice command translates to, and it does add quite a bit to the immersion -- think Enemy at the Gates vs. The Longest Day where one uses native tongues while the other uses subtitles. I'd much rather go with the latter.

I was simply stating in my earlier post that it certainly is more accessible and "practical" to have English speaking Russians. This of course does not mean that I like not having a choice. If I did, I would most certainly have them speak Russian instead.

Perhaps we could have a more detailed explanation of why there is no option, when clearly both armies's voice commands have been recorded and will be included in the game? Especially when other games do the same thing? I would totally understand if this feature is just one of those things that isn't ready for the initial release but could be patched in later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldih
Upvote 0
I think you guys have a vision in your head that the voices work just like Ostfront. It is not only just voice commands that you hear from your team. There is an entire battle chatter system with over 3000 lines that the soldiers around you will automatically say based on what is occurring (in single player AND multiplayer). This makes the game a LOT more immersive. The battle chatter is not subtitled, only the commands are. So when the guy next to you shouts "grenade" because a grenade landed at your feet, or shouts "sniper, get down" because he sees a sniper shooting at you, its important from a gameplay standpoint that you understand what they are saying.

On the memory thing, the enemy voice packages have far less variations than your teams language to save on memory. Thus you can't just drop them in. Our goal is to have the game run in "high" settings in under 2GB for people still using Windows XP (or poeple running vista/win7 with 2 GB of ram, which is a surprising amount of poeple). If you swap to the full German/Russian for BOTH teams at the same time, it takes you way over 2GB of ram.

Regarding the music in those videos, I don't know what it is. It's not Sam's music for the game as far as I know. I think it's just some music that Gametrailers threw on there. The way they were recording the audio wasn't picking up the game sound very well, so the music probably didn't come across in their recording. Frankly' Sam's tracks for the game are WAY better than this.

I've said this in another thread and I'll say it here - you guys don't have to agree with everything we do, but you do have to be respectful while doing it on these forums. Some guys are bordering on getting banned (skittles I'm looking at you).

Upvote 0
I think you guys have a vision in your head that the voices work just like Ostfront. It is not only just voice commands that you hear from your team. There is an entire battle chatter system with over 3000 lines that the soldiers around you will automatically say based on what is occurring (in single player AND multiplayer). This makes the game a LOT more immersive. The battle chatter is not subtitled, only the commands are. So when the guy next to you shouts "grenade" because a grenade landed at your feet, or shouts "sniper, get down" because he sees a sniper shooting at you, its important from a gameplay standpoint that you understand what they are saying.

On the memory thing, the enemy voice packages have far less variations than your teams language to save on memory. Thus you can't just drop them in. Our goal is to have the game run in "high" settings in under 2GB for people still using Windows XP (or poeple running vista/win7 with 2 GB of ram, which is a surprising amount of poeple). If you swap to the full German/Russian for BOTH teams at the same time, it takes you way over 2GB of ram.

Regarding the music in those videos, I don't know what it is. It's not Sam's music for the game as far as I know. I think it's just some music that Gametrailers threw on there. The way they were recording the audio wasn't picking up the game sound very well, so the music probably didn't come across in their recording. Frankly' Sam's tracks for the game are WAY better than this.

I've said this in another thread and I'll say it here - you guys don't have to agree with everything we do, but you do have to be respectful while doing it on these forums. Some guys are bordering on getting banned (skittles I'm looking at you).
Thanks for the detailed explanation! That makes alot of sense, now that you put it that way. Before I was under the impression that the voice work for the your team and the enemy team was exactly the same, so this makes much more sense that you can't have both going at the same time, if you want to fit within your own technical specifications.

One thing I could see as an option later down the road is to give people the option to have a "lite" version of the battle chatter, but in a different language when they toggle the option to hear all foreign languages. I'm sure this would take some work, but it's the main way I could still see an option being viable.

Thanks again for the explanation. It's all clearer now ;)

Upvote 0

Hi @ RammJaeger,
I've a question regarding the battle chatters, obviously there will be mod tools to handle this but for competitive play i thought i'd ask anyway. These automatic battle chatters could be a bad thing since you'll have no control over what your characters says at any given time which introduces quite a random element.
(It makes perfect sense for public and immersion i know :))

Usually these things are client sided and/or modded out completely in most competitive games.
I don't suppose you've any plans for an option to turn battle chatter off straight from the box ?

Btw, the game is looking great :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
please, for the love of god, ditch the single player
Best post in the entire thread. >.>

A bit sad we cant choose between eng and norm sounds, it took some time but I learned wut means wat in BF games & mods, shouldnt be a prob here.

Edit: Im such a noob, missed John's last post. Sorries!

Last edited:
Reactions: Killyouall
Upvote 0

That makes more sense, looking forward for it :)

But having more or less variation on the other team shouldn't affect the language that your own team is speaking, the issue is not the other team, is your own.

If the memory is a problem, couldn't there be an option in the config menu about it, something that can only be selected if the computer has enough RAM?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I agree on the voices, sounds reasonable.

But what about the ragdolls, will you tweak them a bit more, I mean at some points it still looks like the dead soldiers just stop dead in their tracks, lose all their bones, and collapse backwards with their feet up over their face.

Upvote 0