• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Temperature and Infantry

You are not slower just because it is cold when people are shooting at you. It would affect both sides anyway so what is the point.

If you want a slow paced clunky game play the "simulator" from eastern Europe.

I know adrenaline can push a man to keep going. Freezing temperatures still weaken/slow fighting capability to some degree. If it affects the heat of a machine gun barrel or a tank round I'm wondering why you would deny the effects on soft and squishy human bodies? Also, how would it affecting both sides make it pointless? That logic makes no sense...bullet wounds affect both sides. :rolleyes: "Clunky" is your word not mine, sluggish ≠ clunky.

Edit: If infantry performance is going to be affected by suppression, experience gain etc. then what is wrong with temperature effects on infantry as well?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dont know how i feel about it, I done want to fight with the game... So it depends how it is done.

different animations, visible breath and different breathing sounds would be nice though
Some animations like breathing on hands and rubbing them to together would be good if you did not move for awhile.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dont know how i feel about it, I done want to fight with the game... So it depends how it is done.

different animations, visible breath and different breathing sounds would be nice though
Some animations like breathing on hands and rubbing them to together would be good if you did not move for awhile.
That sort of thing would be nice.:D

And what simulator would that be? (I'd like to check it out :D)
He might be talking about a time machine. Because AFAIK no eastern front WW2 simulator exists.

Upvote 0
I would have thought it already does. We know that machine gun barrels heat up slower so I'm kinda expecting other effects. But if not, great idea:D

Yep, for example, in another WWII mod, Day of Defeat, the MG42 has a barrel temperature gauge made specificly for it (since it's incredibly overpowered).
The more you fire it and especialy if it is continuous fire, the barrel would get hotter and hotter.
Stalingrad was faught since August (so, Summer) until early February (so, Fall and Winter as well). Since we all know how cold Russia is even in the Summer, the very low temperatures would allow MG guys to fire more and continuously for longer.

Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0
the russian winter was terrible.
A norwegian ss man i have spoken with said temperatures were so low that the trees where cracking. being outside for more than 15 minutes was very dangerous, but there wasnt much fightning when it was that cold.

anyway, my point: if temperature play a role in the battles, maybe "camping" should be dangerous.
like, sitting still for 5 minutes ruins your legs or atleast prevent you sprinting until your legs have warmed up againd, so you would have to run(or walk depending on how long you "camped") maybe 50m before you can sprint.

Reloading should also take longer. has anyone here ever tried working in minus 35 celsius or worse?
tuching metal is very painful and holding it for to long can result in quite serius wounds.

I used to work as a surveyer here in norway and once had to stand behind my tripod in -32 celsius for a couple of workdays. It was hell. Had to go to the car every 30 minutesjust to warm up and we had really good winter clothing but it dosnt help. if you dont move you freeze. the russian winter was far colder than that, and in russia the winds get qoute strong some places making blizzards quite common.

HOWEVER, do we need this to have fun with the game?

also if there are breath clouds, would snipers(and others) be able to eat snow to stay hidden?

Upvote 0
I read a diary of a soldier in stalingrad. They were in the cellar of a house and it was -40 something. They could hear the enemy up the street in another house and were pretty sure the enemy could hear them aswell. Neither could attack each other because at that temperature a man cant bolt a rifle, or if he can he can do it once or twice tops :D:D:D

Upvote 0
Reloading should also take longer. has anyone here ever tried working in minus 35 celsius or worse?
tuching metal is very painful and holding it for to long can result in quite serius wounds.

I have. Did they have good gloves in Stalingrad that they could use in combat? They do wonders against cold metal. It isn't that much harder to work when it's cold if it isn't something where your gloves are in the way. It's standing or laying still that is the problem, the cold gets painful pretty fast.

Regarding weapons, they were okay as long you didn't fire. If you fired and then waited for 5 min you would have to work a bit to get it working again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I read a diary of a soldier in stalingrad. They were in the cellar of a house and it was -40 something. They could hear the enemy up the street in another house and were pretty sure the enemy could hear them aswell. Neither could attack each other because at that temperature a man cant bolt a rifle, or if he can he can do it once or twice tops :D:D:D
Are you sure that was not the diary of Vassili Ivanovich Koslov from COD2 in the mission to retake the Town Hall? :D

Reactions: BATTERIES
Upvote 0
You are not slower just because it is cold when people are shooting at you. It would affect both sides anyway so what is the point.

I love these guys that probably live in cali, oregon, florida, etc who make assumptions about cold because they had -2 weather "that one time." Never had to make a visit up into the arctic regions where it's so cold the snot in your nose freezes on contact with air, where the water around your eyes begins to turn to frost and were your 10 pound winter clothing feels like it may as well be made of cheesecloth.

Stepping into a -30 C environment, it feels like a large icy hand seethes the air out of your lungs. It literally saps both the energy and figurative "warmth" from your body, it is the most miserable feeling imaginable. Take into account most of these soldiers were not properly equipped for such extremely cold temperatures, nor were they at all used to or conditioned for such weather. It's no wonder so many people simply died from exposure in Stalingrad.

The abysmal winter of Stalingrad was just as integral as the combat itself. I hope they get a lot of the little details, like sliding on ice, or slowing down in deep snow, maybe even go as far as starting to get negative impact from exposure if you stay hunkered down too long in one exposed spot.

Upvote 0
How did you get this idea?

How did you get this idea?

Stalingrad was faught since August (so, Summer) until early February (so, Fall and Winter as well). Since we all know how cold Russia is even in the Summer, the very low temperatures would allow MG guys to fire more and continuously for longer.

This is completely wrong. In a lot of russia (other than siberia) it is very hot in the summer, hotter than in Germany actually.
Having a look at the weather in volgograd (ex - stalingrad) right now (praise be the internet) it says it's 81F and sunny. Meaning approx. 27 C. Not bad for not really end of may, is it? In Hamburg we currently have 12 C.....

Reactions: Snuffeldjuret
Upvote 0
This is completely wrong. In a lot of russia (other than siberia) it is very hot in the summer, hotter than in Germany actually.

Reminds me about this funny (yet fairly appropriate) quote:

The effect of climate in Russia is to make things impassable in the mud of spring and autumn, unbearable in the heat of summer and impossible in the depths of winter. Climate in Russia is a series of natural disasters.

Upvote 0