• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Shogun 2: Total War

Yeah, what Timur said, static mangonels and European cannons.
Gunpowder units come in the form of Matchlock Ashigaru and Matchlock Samurai or Monks, and that is basically it.
The Matchlock units do have the Fire By Rank ability like present in Empire though, which is very nice and can devastate morale in close range, though especially the Ashigaru are highly inaccurate.
The cannons and muskets are one of the advantages of becoming a Christian faction, along with increased trade and more powerful naval units, though at the cost of upsetting the people as Christianity struggles to get a foothold on them.
In online battles one could use a retainer to increase the accuracy of the Matchlock units after unlocking the province which holds that retainer.

As for the campaign map, there are 65 regions including Kyoto smack in the centre of Japan which needs to be held onto for 4 turns in order to become Shogun.
I heard some complaints about 65 regions being too little, but it's damn hard to conquer provinces. Hell, a lot of people get destroyed in the first 10 turns or slightly over that.
In a co-op campaign with a friend it took us rougly about 45 turns out of 200 or so to each capture 5 provinces, while duking it out with incoming armies and dealing with other setbacks. As you can see, I'm nowhere near close capturing the entire isle of Japan and probably wont get there either :D

The only concern with the mapsize is as i said earlier the fact that Japan is very mountainous, which leads to a lot of closed off passages and most cities have about 3 approaches to them, which could pretty easily be blocked off with an ambushing army.
On one side this kind of keeps up the action i guess, but on the other side it might also decrease replayability a bit. So far though i havent run into that problem yet, simply having too much fun :)
(apart from that horrible matchmaking system, which is absolutely bjorked right now)

Upvote 0
I know, I know.. the Portugese introduced them to Japan and in time Japan was able to produce them themselves..

..but I don't want to believe Samurai ever used them (I'm a romantic :eek:). I'm sure a samurai or two somewhere used one, but we all know it wasnt in their main repertoire of weapons; a samurai with a bow is going to be more accurate at anything but the closest distances, not to mention faster firing. A smooth bore musket is rather worthless in the hands of one man.. but in the many hands of the footsoldier, then you have something.

Aaaaaand, I'm also aware that Shogun 2 isnt trying to be at a simulation level either, so.. anyway. It looks like a fun game (I enjoyed Medieval II) and I may buy it when it goes on the cheap pile.

Reactions: illinifan
Upvote 0
Well, if it's any consolation, archers have a bigger range than men with matchlocks. And reloading of the Matchlocks takes a while, whereas the archers continue to rain down death upon their enemy.
In general Matchlocks seem to be outclassed by archers, at least the Ashigaru version. They're mostly good for dropping morale with the fire by rank ability.

Upvote 0
I like it so far, its got great atmosphere. I knew I'd get it even though I've hardly played Empire. Have spent ages playing Medieval+2 and Rome so I guess my interest is more in the swords&melees era than two lines of dudes firing rifles at each other...

Pros:
- Beautiful graphics (obv), especially the Campaign map is lovely.
- Great atmosphere on battlefield with fog, music, and different weather effects.
- Cool japan-inspired music .
- AI seems clever(er) than before, campaign (so far) is bloody hard, and I've seen tendencies to try flanking, and countering flanks much better than earlier.

Cons:
- Battles seem way too fast-paced for me, and units rout too fast. You get little of the epic long melees from M2TW, its over too fast.
- Keyboard controls are annoyingly different from M2.
- Noted already a couple of bugs, once all textures from camp.map disappeared.
- Seems to be little use for siege engines when troops can just climb the walls...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is probably the best Total War game to date. I loved Empire but in comparison it seems dull. It really reminded me of what the older Total War games were like and how much fun I had with both Medieval games. The game is definitely worth the full price of admission.

And I don't care what people say about the game world being "too small." It's not. Empire got lost in itself. Japan is a perfect size for a Total War game.

..and I don't even like Japan.

Upvote 0
This is probably the best Total War game to date. I loved Empire but in comparison it seems dull. It really reminded me of what the older Total War games were like and how much fun I had with both Medieval games. The game is definitely worth the full price of admission.

And I don't care what people say about the game world being "too small." It's not. Empire got lost in itself. Japan is a perfect size for a Total War game.

..and I don't even like Japan.
Disagreed with all but the last point. :D

While I do like Shogun 2 and I'm having a lot of fun with it, here's my verdict.

Pros:

+ Very nice atmosphere
+ Way improved AI, especially in battles
+ Improved boarding for ships
+ Improved performance compared to Empire, even on my crappy old rig.

Negs:

- Extremely limited troop tree and nearly no faction differences, makes the game become stale VERY fast. At last Shogun 1 had Mongols.
- Way too simplified, while I agree that Empire was a bit too much, Rome hit the sweet spot IMO
- Sieges are laughably bad, everyone can climb walls, siege weapons are useless
- No separate difficulty sliders!!!!
- Battles are over too quickly, you hardly see long combats, even in naval battles.
-Tech tree is a bit... strange. Most of the stuff just seems to be there in order to block the techs you REALLY want to get.

Overall, Rome was BY FAR the better game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank the Emperror, Darthmod has arrived!

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=437591

:IS2:

Some of the most important bits:
Many tweaks in battle mechanics to create more lasting battles and better troop responses.
• Realistic speeds, accelerations, mass and physics for a more realistic battle experience. As a result more battle chaos and charge penetrations are generated.
• Removal of the “laser trails”. In combination with the reduced speeds there is a significant FPS increase.
• Improvements in fatigue levels (troops get tired and rest more dynamically).
• More morale resistance for more intense battles.
• Cavalry is more powerful, can last more in a melee, and can perform lethal charges.

Last edited:
Upvote 0